HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:49 PM
Michigan
Joined Apr 2002
103 Posts
AirNerd,
Thanks for your reports so far, looking forward to your pic's or video of your control throws. I have one that I will begin to build shortly. I picked it up mostly for indoor and I think i can get the weight down to about 7.0 oz, maybe a little less using a 15 gram motor; 2 cell 340 batt. and 4.7 gram servos. My concern is Do you think I will have trouble getting the C.G. right with that lite of a motor in it?
rush is offline Find More Posts by rush
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:56 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I would recommend moving the tail servos forwad if possible as I think you might have issues. I would just not remove the covering over the stock servo cutouts and make new ones where ever there is enough wood. The stock ones may be oversized for 4g servos anyways.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:00 PM
Michigan
Joined Apr 2002
103 Posts
Thanks papasmurf, good point about the 4.7 servos not fitting the stock openings.
rush is offline Find More Posts by rush
Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:30 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
I really do not see how to get the servos further foward in this plane.

I just recomend lightening the servos.

Rush...Since you are useing all together lighter equipment, I think you should be fine...plus there are ways to mount the batt further foward.
AirNerd is offline Find More Posts by AirNerd
Last edited by AirNerd; Oct 25, 2006 at 05:19 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 06:59 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I got a quick flight in this evening using the LS motor. Seems to have a bit more power than what I had before but I never really got to WOT. I am probably a bit lighter up front but this thing is still ridiculously pitch sensitive. I have about 15-20 degrees throw on the elevator with -100% expo and if you let it come out of high alpha flight and gain just a bit of speed it will porpoise almost uncontrollably. Really wish I could figure this and the rudder coupling out. I switched to an HS-55 on ailerons and have plenty of throw now.
Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:20 PM
Los Angeles Van Nuys, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
1,111 Posts
Hi Papasurf,
Try to move CG forward, IMHO the CG plan by instructions calls for crazy ride...
Janusz
Janusz Jawien is offline Find More Posts by Janusz Jawien
Old Oct 26, 2006, 11:08 PM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Hey guys...I got to fly mine once today after tameing down the throw more and I was able to pull off a rollish knife edge, seein as how the weather was today here in Kansas I beleive mine will knife edge fine in still weather.

I will soon get the vid of my now perfect throws.

I use a Hitec optic six with this plane...I have the Expo set around 90 all the way around on all rates.

Would it benifit me to set the ATV way down as I have about 75% on high and 40% on low rates...would setting the atv down help my expo and sensitivity???

I put on some new wheels also (glued-em to the axle...DOH!!!), some small ones sold as tail wheels, drilled out a bit, they are perfect!

Pics soon, Chris
Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:21 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Today was one of those days that comes along only a handful of times a year *and usually while you are at work*. Weather was 75-80 degrees with absolutely no wind and clear skies. I put two hex nuts again on the front of the nose just behind the firewall to add some forward weight. It flew much better today, partly because there was no wind. It is still sensitive in pitch but is controllable. I let it get into a torque roll and applied full ailerons with the direction of the roll...it was very quick to say the least. Harriers are rock solid at just about all angles and you feel pretty comfortable doing a harrier to landing or dragging the tail down the runway. Full deflection, power off elevators had some wing rock but the plane never appeared snappy...it never really has...just pitch sensitive. I got a few close in hovers a foot or two off the ground and came out with about a 5-7 minute flight. I am going to try and put some velcro on the roof of the battery bay edges and lay the battery flat and as close to the firewall as possible. Does anyone think the 3 and 4 gram BA servos would suffice for this plane in the tail. Two of those would cut out 3-4 more grams behind the CG, may not be worth the trouble though.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 04:30 AM
guillows basher!!
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Feb 2004
956 Posts
i too picked one up and am impressed with the build of the plane i'm using a park 300,t-bird9,b-bird 6g servos and my ole faithfull gws pico rx,for batts i have 2 options both tp packs,11.1 480-730,one weighs 37g's and the other 50g's regardless of what batt i use it still wont meet the cog requirements my auw with everything but the cf control rods installed is 215g's,(7.6oz.) i might try a e-flite cf 8x4 prop too help the balance,other then that theres not much i can do other then add weight(yuk) to the nose to balance,just curious too what airnerd did too meet the balance issue as i'm at a similar auw? or are you flying a tad tail heavy! i'll post a few pics later
esb-help is offline Find More Posts by esb-help
Old Oct 29, 2006, 09:47 AM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Yo ESB...I would just build it then see if cg is good ...you will probly like the 480 better but the 730 can help get CG.

I built mine had the batt in and CG was about perfect, I also lightened my servos before install.

BTW yes a bit tail heavy untill I put in a Tanic 470 instead of the 390 (10 more grams).
Old Oct 29, 2006, 06:44 PM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
956 Posts
all ready for maiden,auw with the 480 11.1v is 226g's(7.7oz.) balance with the 480 is a tad on the tail side,if i use the 730 then i'm tad on the nose side,i'll try maiden with the 480,heres a few pics,btw i lost 2g's just by trimming the canopy,probably can lose a few more but i'll wait to see how she flys,also painted the canopy with polycarbonite paint
Old Oct 30, 2006, 09:28 AM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Good luck!
Old Oct 30, 2006, 06:59 PM
guillows basher!!
Joined Feb 2004
956 Posts
maiden was success i'd call it more a mini acro plane then a 3d plane,you'd have to get it down to about 6.5oz to be a real 3d plane for the novice pilot i did first flight all on low rates and it was real responsive,fast rolls good snaps but ke was nearly impossible! i have too get a little more used to it then i'll try some more,did a hover for about 30 sec. but it kept wanting to tuck to the top wing side i think it needs more down thrust put in? i did'nt have the pitching problems p-smurf has and it landed like a feather with only thrott control on the final till touch down, i think 1 of my ail. couplers are binding,so i'll go over everything and retry again tomorow
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:13 AM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
Awsome!

I have had mine in knife edge, and considering the wind I was dealing with, I thought it did OK.

Lemme get you guys the vid of my control throws that I will fly with from now on.
Old Oct 31, 2006, 09:44 AM
GIMMIE FOAM!!!
Edwardsville KS
Joined Oct 2005
1,742 Posts
OK...I made a Quick Vid of the control throws on my Riot.

Expo

95% on high rates and 90% on low rates, on all surfaces.

Dual Rates

Ail...85% High-30% Low

Elev...90% High-40% Low

Rud...85% High-50% Low