HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 12, 2006, 06:40 AM
Joined Oct 2006
1 Posts
Hey folks

I'm an experienced "real" pilot, but this plane will be my first rc model. I've joined the local club and will be getting some trainer experience, but I had a question about the Riot 3d:

It came pre-wrapped, and the instructions discuss it as if it's not wrapped.... do I cut the plastic in places where other items will be connected? example: The horizontal stab assembly slides into the fuselage. I'm worried about the rest of the body coming unwrapped and I've never put a pre-wrapped model together before.

Any advice is welcome Thanks!
RTFM is offline Find More Posts by RTFM
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:17 AM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogrc
There are some HUGE control surfaces! I hope to have mine next week, but due to the iHobby Expo in ORD, then JR indoor in Two weeks, I have no clue as to when it will get built!

2dogrc
You mean I'm not going to see yours flying in the golf dome ?
Bud Morrison is offline Find More Posts by Bud Morrison
Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:20 AM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTFM
Hey folks

I'm an experienced "real" pilot, but this plane will be my first rc model. I've joined the local club and will be getting some trainer experience, but I had a question about the Riot 3d:

It came pre-wrapped, and the instructions discuss it as if it's not wrapped.... do I cut the plastic in places where other items will be connected? example: The horizontal stab assembly slides into the fuselage. I'm worried about the rest of the body coming unwrapped and I've never put a pre-wrapped model together before.

Any advice is welcome Thanks!
You remove the covering from the surfaces to be glued with a very very dull hot knife or the tip of a soldering iron. If you read through the instructions very carefully you will find some instructions on how to remove the covering from those areas. Whatever you do, do not cut into the balsa under the covering with an exacto knife to get the covering off those areas. The score the blade leaves in the balsa weakens it.

If this is your first rc plane make sure you have someone with you on a buddy box for your first few flights at least. This is not what I would consider a beginners airplane.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 07:35 AM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
The only place I removed the covering from was the battery and rx access bays and the bottom wing where it joins the fuse. IMO thin or medium CA is more than enough to hold the diminuitive stab in place. This is a light plane and not necessarily a high speed one so I think the CA will hold just fine.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:12 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2004
964 Posts
This plane sounds like it's extremely pitch sensitive. Eventhough you may have many hours flying the real thing RTFM, I don't think this will be a good first RC plane. If you do decide to learn on this plane, definitely make sure you do it with an experienced pilot on the buddy box with you, and with the rates turned way down. A lot of these 3D planes are very docile on low rates, but the verdict is still out on this one. I'm not trying to be discouraging. I and everyone else here just want to see you have a successful start into RC. Good luck and I hope you enjoy it.
TRuss is offline Find More Posts by TRuss
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:14 AM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papasmurf
The only place I removed the covering from was the battery and rx access bays and the bottom wing where it joins the fuse. IMO thin or medium CA is more than enough to hold the diminuitive stab in place. This is a light plane and not necessarily a high speed one so I think the CA will hold just fine.
Yeah I used CA on mine everywhere as well.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:54 AM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Morrison
You mean I'm not going to see yours flying in the golf dome ?

Well..We are still deciding if we are flyin'or driving....

2dogrc
2dogrc is online now Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Oct 12, 2006, 08:57 AM
Orlando
Joined Jun 2003
336 Posts
PapaSmurf,

thanks for Posting pics, A picture is Worth a Thousand words =)
GWSLAWNDART is offline Find More Posts by GWSLAWNDART
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:26 AM
Lancaster Pa
Joined Jun 2003
1,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dogrc
Well..We are still deciding if we are flyin'or driving....

2dogrc
I will be out bout 6:30 ish Friday
Old Oct 12, 2006, 09:56 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts
can any one please advise what is the average flying duration of riot 3d when equipt with towerhobbies mentioned electronics. As mentioned above papsmurf flewed for only 2 min if it is so it does not worth it 2 min are really hopeless no one can be satisfied for such a beautiful plane.
rony_iq is offline Find More Posts by rony_iq
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:00 PM
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Joined Sep 2004
229 Posts
I guess the flight time depeds on your setup. I just got mine and i'm using the original great planes rimfire outrunner. With a 800mah Polyquest 20C pack I was getting 10 min flights easy. I used a 10x3.8 prop on it and it would haul around 12oz planes with ease. With this plane thought i'll probably go down to an 8" prop. My airframe weight so far is 4.5oz with 3 hs55's installed. I figure ~9.5oz RTF.
gerg is offline Find More Posts by gerg
Old Oct 12, 2006, 12:45 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
There was an issue with the motor and ESC when I got the 2 minute flight. I recharged the battery and flew it later that day and got 8-10 minutes easily without reaching LVC. It was getting dark so I had to pack things up for the day. I checked my radio settings today and there was no expo on the elevator apparently. I am using an eclipse 7 and frankly it has too many buttons and flight programs sometimes it seems and I think I switched between one of the flight modes as I do remember programming the expo in. I will try again and see how much better it is. I was told by another person (who should know) that the plane is somewhat pitch sensitive at speed. I also have a LS de novo on the way I am going to try using in it.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Oct 12, 2006, 05:09 PM
Suspended Account
Newmarket,Ontario, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
968 Posts
flew my friends on the weekend its a great little plane!
his is 2204/54AXI powered and is amazing can do all the normal 3d stuff well. had a hard time knife edging it at first but added a bunch more expo to the rudder and its all better now. at high rudder travel there is a fair amount of roll coupling but at lower movements its fine. i would recomend if going light on the power system to move the servos up so the rudder is on the back of the bottom wing and the elevator on the side of the fuse about the same location. (will make it easier to get cg with tiny packs) great flyer just a little expensive for a 20" plane though.

ededge2002
ededge2002 is offline Find More Posts by ededge2002
Old Oct 13, 2006, 04:52 AM
Joined Oct 2006
3 Posts
Well guys thanks for your advise & opinion, this is gonna be my first electric model and I'll definitly go for it.
rony_iq is offline Find More Posts by rony_iq
Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:58 AM
Just some guy
Joined Aug 2006
662 Posts
Again, with the 350 3cell, you get about 4.5-5 minutes of agressive flying.
D Johnson is offline Find More Posts by D Johnson