Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 29, 2006, 01:41 PM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Thanks...There may be a very slight possibility that it shows up saturday. I mailed a plane this week on wednesday and it showed up thursday via USPS priority as it only had to go about 200 miles north. I have my fingers crossed.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2006, 03:46 PM
Airplane Gearhead
Central N.Y.
Joined Jan 2005
1,132 Posts
I ordered a yellow one yesterday...

Wondering now if an esskay 400XT is gonna be too heavy?
According to my calculations, if the airframe wt. is 4.5 oz. then w/ 3x HS-55's and a 640 Kokam 3 cell the AUW will be about 10oz?! Hmmm...sounds a little heavy...

Wing loading would be 6.12 oz. / sq. ft.

It will be about the same wt. and wing loading as my H-L Yak 55 (that is IIRC the Yak's wing area?)
proptop is offline Find More Posts by proptop
Old Sep 29, 2006, 04:53 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I would get as light a motor as possible that is comparable to the stock setup. A good CDR might be lighter like one of the micro dan's assuming getting it to fit to the firewall is not an issue. The mounting bracket for the motor has to be wider than the motor itself as the hole in the firewall is about the size of a quarter.
Old Oct 02, 2006, 12:24 AM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,755 Posts
Also, you might want to try a smaller battery...the kit calls for a 350ish to 450 ish size!

2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Oct 03, 2006, 12:53 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
My motor, ESC, and battery showed up today...Hope to have everything in it this evening and fly sometime this week or the weekend.
Old Oct 03, 2006, 02:46 PM
Joined Oct 2005
184 Posts
Hello Guys Has Any One Had Plane In The Air Yet And Is Wild Ride Or Smoth Please Send Pics Of Build And Vid. Of Flight Thanks Steve
steve bjers is offline Find More Posts by steve bjers
Old Oct 03, 2006, 09:36 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I got the motor and esc installed this evening. Still need to set up the control linkages. I placed everything on the scale and put two HS-55's on there as well to take into account a light rx and the control linkages and got 7.8 oz.
Old Oct 04, 2006, 12:18 AM
Joined Oct 2005
184 Posts
i got my plane tonightwill start build tommorw cant wait looks great some fly the thing and let us all know how it does
Old Oct 04, 2006, 12:27 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
The hardware it comes with is a pain. Took well over an hour to set up just the ailerons tonite. All the linkages appear to be molded too tight and I had to open them up with a drill. Take your time especially setting up the aileron linkage as you only get one shot to get it right. If you have some hardware from a shockflyer I would recommend using that as there is some adjustability with the screw in the control horns. AUW is about 8.6 oz right now. It should be right at that weight or just a hair more when complete. I have not put on the decals and probably will not as I am sure they will add more weight than I would like. Also...get a servo with alot of rotation degrees. I installed a JR SM8 and only get about 30 degrees on the ailerons at most.
Old Oct 05, 2006, 12:05 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
Installed the tail linkages tonight and have everything ready to go but am waiting on my rx's to show up. They should be here tomorrow or friday. Scale showed 8.7 oz with a HS-55 to take the place of the rx. I did some math and I am not sure how anyone could get to the 7.5 oz listed weight using the components GP recommends. I am not using the futaba micro rx but I doubt it is any lighter than a berg if at all. Switching to 3 or 4 gram servos would help some but still leaves a ways to go. Hopefully it will still fly well at this weight. Again, like I said before, choose a servo with a wide range or rotation for the ailerons and rudder. I am not getting very much throw on the rudder and it is binding just a bit. The elevator is really good with 45 degress both ways.
Old Oct 05, 2006, 12:37 AM
WHere Flight Was Born, North Carolina
Joined Apr 2005
2,755 Posts
Papasmurf,
How does the motor and battery fit on there? Maybe a 3s360 will get the weight down. I still haven't got mine in the mail...which is good because I spent all week building our new prototype and an E-Foamies Extra!

2dogrc
2dogrc is offline Find More Posts by 2dogrc
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: 2dogrc and 2dogs Flying FPV
Old Oct 05, 2006, 08:38 AM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
The motor is a bit longer and heavier than the stock motor but then again I think it is a bit more capable than the rimfire motor too. There are no problems bolting it to the firewall. I may try a smaller pack in the future too and may look for a de novo or similar CDR to lose some more weight if it needs it. There are some reports at RCU of some flying it with a 640 successfully...particularly outdoors.
Old Oct 05, 2006, 02:43 PM
Joined Oct 2005
184 Posts
Papasmurf What Servo Are You Using In The Riot And What Motor And Battry I Started Building Mine Last Night Iam Goiny With A Tw0 Cell 370 Eflight Motor And Sh55 Servos Not Sure On Reciver Thanks Steve
Old Oct 05, 2006, 08:39 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Hi mandy,didnt i meet you at Mikes today? Get the struts between the wings back together?
fh64_lucky is online now Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 05, 2006, 09:56 PM
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
I am using JR SM8 servos. They will suffice for the elevator and possibly ailerons but I have some BMS 306's that have more range of travel I will swap out for the rudder. The battery, motor, and ESC I am using is from 2dogrc. It is the smallest dualsky outrunner they have with the 480 3S battery and 12A ESC. I contemplated the idea of using two cells with a higher KV motor. The GWS 15T oiutrunner looked particularly promising but you will notice that to get equal performance on two cells the amps go up above 10 and so you have to have a decent sized 2 cell pack that may not necessarily weigh any less than the smaller 3 cell packs. Not saying it will not work. It is just a balancing act and finding a middle ground between thrust and weight of your setup to feed it. Keep us posted on the 2S setup as it may be the way to go.