SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 08, 2007, 09:21 PM
Dam,I done spilt my drink
Peoria Il
Joined Jun 2007
1,288 Posts
I got 2 flights on mine tonight,and even nose heavy and tiny throws,its all I can do to keep it in the air! My buddies wont even try to fly it. EDIT OH MAN!! I just saw a good pic. and sure enough my ailerons are on BACKWARDS! Amazing how "right" they look when on backwards. I cant really see where it would have any aerodynamic effect but ????????? Man gonna be a chore to fix.
spektrumdss is offline Find More Posts by spektrumdss
Last edited by spektrumdss; Oct 09, 2007 at 03:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2007, 02:32 AM
Peoria Il
Joined Jun 2007
1,288 Posts
OK, Im about ready. Suggestions welcome. I thought about wicking debonder into the hinges but any stray will attack the covering. So Im thinking I will just cut the hinges then touch up the resultant edges. I may need to cut different slots but that should be ok. Any and all suggestions welcome.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:40 AM
"I passed on the kool-aid"
Waco, TX
Joined Jan 2004
3,884 Posts
You might cut the hinges and then use tape such as blenderm. There is some really clear tape at target that works great for me that I prefer over blenderm, but it is not as flexible.
papasmurf is offline Find More Posts by papasmurf
Old Oct 10, 2007, 01:34 PM
Peoria Il
Joined Jun 2007
1,288 Posts
Thanks but thats one thing I like about wood planes over foamies. I cant stand the look of tape hinges,would be much easier though.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 06:19 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Huh, I tried tape, but it didn't work, infact, it is not a possibility for this plane.

Also, I threw on my Rimfire 22M-1000(the original rimfire) and sofar, vertical performance it much better, along with hovering. The plane weighs 10.6 oz now, but it's a small price to pay for more power. Proping up to an 8x4.7 should be better too.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:34 PM
Peoria Il
Joined Jun 2007
1,288 Posts
I got em turned around,wasnt bad at all. I do now think it may indeed make a difference in flight,I hope its better. Now if the blanking wind would EVER stop howling.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 02:45 AM
Peoria Il
Joined Jun 2007
1,288 Posts
Finally got my scale returned, All up- battery 7.1oz. Pretty good?
Old Oct 12, 2007, 03:50 AM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spektrumdss
Finally got my scale returned, All up- battery 7.1oz. Pretty good?
That weight is very close to what mine flys at, there can't be too many more variables, . Thrustline, wing and tail incidence should all be the same. Only leaves CG and perhaps warps and aileron deflection. By aileron deflection I mean when bottom wing ailerons are at zero deflection the top wing ailerons are as well.
Geoff2005 is online now Find More Posts by Geoff2005
Old Oct 12, 2007, 03:57 PM
Peoria Il
Joined Jun 2007
1,288 Posts
What yours flys at? Mine is less battery 7.1oz. How could mine be so heavy? I hope you meant - battery. Wind is finally letting up,hope to have a go in an hour or so.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 05:49 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
Quote:
What yours flys at? Mine is less battery 7.1oz. How could mine be so heavy? I hope you meant - battery. Wind is finally letting up,hope to have a go in an hour or so.
OK, I misunderstood your wording, mine is 195gm (6.9oz) ready to fly. I used to fly it at 225gm (7.9oz) and I had said in earlier posts it was more at home flying fast doing pattern rather then slow stuff, big difference in the way it flys between the two weights.

I listed my components in a post on Oct 8, you should be able to compare differences in weight.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 08:16 PM
Peoria Il
Joined Jun 2007
1,288 Posts
Well I compaired, Im useing a Corona 410 rx, E-Flight s65 servos and a tb9 esc. My motor is 27 grammes. Im at a loss as to how mine got so heavy,Im useing lighter hardware to boot. I also left canopy and wheel pants off,Im at 7.1 without battery. Does fly quite a bit better with the aielorons right way round.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Sounds about the same weight as mine, less battery. I upgraded to the rimfire 22M-1000 motor(the original rimfire) and it flies a lot better. I just shift the CG back slightly by placing the battery farther back, and it flies very slowly, like my foamies. It still handles winds with ease, and hovers in place at about 1/2 throttle.

Setup:
Rimfire 22M-1000
KMS 18amp ESC
Electrifly Power Series 3cell 640 mah lipo.

It only weighs in at 10.6 oz now, but is still needing a bit of a diet.

Quote:
I also left canopy and wheel pants off,Im at 7.1 without battery.
I have my canopy and upgraded foam wheels on, and they don't seem to make any difference in weight. Infact, my scale says that they weigh 0.12 oz together. Try a bigger motor, it should still work fine.

My upgrade reciever(Berg 4L) didn't seem to add on any more or less weight either.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 08:23 PM
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Jul 2006
1,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
It only weighs in at 10.6 oz now, but is still needing a bit of a diet.
What was the weight before, did you notice much difference in performance between the two?
I thought the sqirrelly behaviour reported by others was induced by higher wing loading, must be more factors.
Where do you run your CG (dist from LE top wing)?

I agree upgrading the wheels without weight penalty is a big plus when flying off grass.
Old Oct 14, 2007, 04:05 PM
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
The weight before with the smaller rimfire was 10.1 oz, so it gained 1/2 an ounce with the power upgrade. I did not notice any performance improvements between the two, except for more vertical power.

I have my CG slightly back from where it is recommended in the manual. This allows better hovering, and inverted flight, for mine.

I'm going to put on an 8x4.7 prop, and see if that improves vertical power. It should, hopefully.........
Old Oct 15, 2007, 02:54 PM
Peoria Il
Joined Jun 2007
1,288 Posts
Mine is flying decent,still 2 main problems 1) altitude loss in turns 2) inverted flight. Mine is flying level without any elevator trim but if you roll inverted no amount of down will keep it from trying to lawn jart.????