HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:30 PM
Kings Park, New York
Joined Jan 2005
1,236 Posts
Question
Throttle hold / auto question

It occurred to me that if I set the throttle hold to 15-20% throttle for my eRaptor and Logo 14, rather than 0% as I think most people do with electric helis, then I'll avoid having the Kontronik 55-10-32 go through slow start if I have to abort an autorotation. I'm not doing autos yet, but I'm getting close. I have a Futaba 9Z, and I figure I can use the engine cut function as a safety that turns the throttle completely off (0%), instead of throttle hold. Anyone else set their throttle hold that way?
Thanks!
Ken
kenmalecki is offline Find More Posts by kenmalecki
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:30 AM
Planet Earth
Joined Jul 2005
713 Posts
I am no expert either but I am practising auto in Trex 450 and 600.
For sake of safety and time lag to spin up a configurated "slow start"ESC, I am pretty sure than one will go for Throttle hold with throttle set at 30-40% at the beginning. THen I will slowly trim down the trottle% once I feel more confident.
I practise more than 30 "drops" before I am confident to throttle down to 30% stepwise.
I think it takes some time for the eyes to judge the falling speed at certain -ve pitch.
I am not sure any expert will really set throttle 0% unless a real disaster happens. (touch wood).
Please correct me if I am wrong.
tungym is offline Find More Posts by tungym
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:58 AM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,724 Posts
"I am not sure any expert will really set throttle 0% unless a real disaster happens. (touch wood)."

I just couldn't resist this - how do you define expert?!

Personally I always set throttle hold to zero. I have seen far more desasters from bail outs too early than any other cause. If you do defeat the soft start and do a panic bail out the chances of giving the gears a hair cut are pretty good.

However, when you are learning, setting the hold to a fairly high level to "cheat" during the flair will prabably help your confidence level a lot.

Don't try to learn with a mini like the T-rex 450.

Jim Davey
teamdavey is online now Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:09 AM
Permanently Banned
Albuquerque
Joined Nov 2004
1,188 Posts
lol...youhavent finished learning on the 600 and you want to move to the trex...its like doing an auto on a blade cp
kogibankole is offline Find More Posts by kogibankole
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:38 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,876 Posts
Actually, the new Phx HV controllers have a way to recover from an auto, WITHOUT chewing up your gears. What you do is put the curve at a value just above where the motor will try and spin (something around 5-10% should work...), and then set the "Throttle Response" setting to the lowest value. In any of the heli modes, this setting is ignored, but for going from any non-zero throttle setting back up to full speed, this will keep the gears from getting stripped.

-- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,774 Posts
I used to set mine for 10-15% but no more. I figure commit if you do it.

I like Garys idea though to save the gears if you do abort.

FB
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:02 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,724 Posts
How does the castle software know the difference between this and a slow start?????

Jim Davey
teamdavey is online now Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Aug 21, 2006, 07:13 AM
Mad Heli Scientist
Rangiora, Canterbury, New Zealand (Aotearoa)
Joined Jun 2004
842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey
Don't try to learn with a mini like the T-rex 450.
NOW they tell me

The Castle software keeps the motor speed at a very slow setting so the motor is still running slowly, this means that it doesn't do a 'full' slow start but just changes the governed rpm setting. This works on all the Phoenix ESC's with the latest software, not just the HV series .

I have learnt to do autos on my Trex and have always cut the throttle completely. learing from low (1-2ft) hovers make a big difference as does some airspeed.

Shannon.
BigS is offline Find More Posts by BigS
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:59 AM
South Orange County, CA
Joined Mar 2003
7,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamdavey
How does the castle software know the difference between this and a slow start?????

Jim Davey
It looks for a zero throttle value. If it sees that, it will begin the slow start process once it again sees a value other than zero. With this "trick", what you are doing is keeping the throttle value at just enough above zero that it basically is cutting power to the blades, but the controller never sees the zero throttle value.

With a glow machine, there's a clutch, so you can have the engine "idling" and not turning the blades. In this case, however, the motor will continue to turn, which means the blades will still slowly turn. That means you can't really use the Throttle Hold switch as a convenient on-off switch for the whole helicopter. Like many, I've gotten into the habit of just putting it in IDLE 1 or 2, putting the stick at the midpoint and then flipping off the Throttle Hold switch to start things up.

- Gary
GGoodrum is offline Find More Posts by GGoodrum