HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:23 PM
I want an eye in the sky.
Joined Mar 2005
25 Posts
Idea
(Completed!) Spektrum DX6 Trans. antenna replacement using 2.4GHz Wireless parts?

You don't have to look far to find many, many people posting around on the 'net how easily thier antennas broke on the DX6 transmitter.

There have been a few hints of people replacing the antennas themselves, i.e.:
Quote:
Even just installing RP-SMA bulkhead is just a matter of getting a professionally built U.FL connector to RP-SMA bulkhead (15 bucks @ jefatech.com) which is a plug on the RF Deck same as you'd have a removeable antenna on your Dlink wireless router to use a different antenna to suit your coverage needs. All protected under Part 15.
(that's from: http://www.runryder.com/helicopter/t250254p3/ )

So, it can be done and apparently it is also legal (provided you do it privately and under quantities of 5).

Me, I'm sick of the issue and I want to put on a removalable antenna.

Best that I can tell, the following items would be needed:

U.FL to RP-SMA Female Bulkhead 12"
5.5dBi Rubber Duck Antenna

Any gotchas' with that? Is the 5.5dBi to high? Is the pigtail too long? What might I be missing in this equation?

If someone with any knowledge can tell me this might work and that it would be OK, I'm gonna do it, then I'll post the results.

And yes, I did dig all through the threads on the DX6, but I didn't find one specifcally targeting antenna replacement. If such a discussion does exist, I would love to see it.
jaskew is offline Find More Posts by jaskew
Last edited by jaskew; Oct 09, 2006 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Clarification of title
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:27 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,371 Posts
Mine broke at the hinge. Lots of duct tape fixed it.
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:19 PM
That thing's operational!
New Orleans/Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
4,706 Posts
I saw a friend accidentally break his the other day, it was really too bad. Strange how they made them so brittle.

-Matt
birdlives1955 is offline Find More Posts by birdlives1955
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:59 PM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,514 Posts
Guys, I sure like an opinion on this!

This would be a great feature! Could you electronic genius' give us an opinion?
Frank
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Aug 16, 2006, 04:09 PM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
Many 2.4Ghz antennas here http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/rub...antenna.php#24
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:30 PM
Joined Mar 2005
25 Posts
Ordered parts

Well, since no one told me not to do it, I've ordered the parts.

I will update as things progress.
Old Aug 19, 2006, 02:44 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
12" of pigtail probably isn't going to be a problem, although in general with these things you should use the shortest pigtail that will work without strain. Make sure the pigtail doesn't foul the backs of the stick mechanisms. 5.5dBi will give you more range, but (and this is a big but) it will do that by reducing the coverage of the TX antenna, so you're going to have to be even more dilligent that usual at not pointing the antenna at the model. Keep it square broadside on as much as you possibly can.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Aug 19, 2006, 08:16 AM
Denver, CO.
Joined Feb 2006
141 Posts
Went to Nearson.com, got a 7dbi swivel with a 4" pigtail.I will be installing today and testing Monday. I bought the swivel so I can point the antenna down and avoid pointing the antenna at the model. I have been using a straight 5db gain with a 4" pigtail and found out if I pointed at the model, I could lose contact at 200 or 300 yards. Turning sideways to the model would regain control.

I was told I have a tendency to point the transmitter at the model as I am flying. By pointing the antenna down, that eliminates that problem.

I am flying glow (60 to 1/4 scale) with a 6102DX. newest airplane being a 120 Tiger with a 1/4 scale Laser (G2300) to follow.
TomLee is offline Find More Posts by TomLee
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:04 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Andrew,

What would the spec be if looking for a screw-on antenna with the same performace as the original and is dBi the only important parameter ?
kgfly is online now Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:50 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
The standard antenna is a 3dBi, and so long as you're buying omnidirectional antennas, the only things that matter are that it work at 2.4GHz (5.8GHz coverage won't hurt, but isn't relevant... lots of WiFi gear is dual band), that it fit mechanically, and the dBi gain. Anything from 2.4dBi to 8dBi should work ok, although the coverage area on an 8dBi is getting pretty narrow. Best to stick to 5.5 and under, really.

As for pointing the TX at the model... that's fine, so long as you have your antenna in the 90 degree up position. The best signal is always perpendicular to an omni (you aren't going to find one where that isn't the case that you'd think of using on a TX... downlooking omnis exist, but they're huge and expensive).

It is possible to use a 'patch' or 'yagi' directional antenna too, but that means you have to take care to always point the antenna at the model (square on for a patch, along the boom for a yagi). That could get massive range though, yagis come in up to 16dBi gain, at the expense of a 20 degree wide beam...
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:19 AM
Whitby, Ontario
Joined Feb 2006
368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaskew
Well, since no one told me not to do it, I've ordered the parts.

I will update as things progress.

Any word yet? I just broke my antenna last night and am interested in doing this also.

Thanks.
HowardSmith is offline Find More Posts by HowardSmith
Old Aug 24, 2006, 01:29 PM
Joined Jun 2005
6 Posts
I replaced the Rx antenna on a spektrum receiver with a piece of coaxial cable and I use a 3 dBi omnidirectional antenna, see
http://www.anderswallin.net/2005/10/...-modification/

I'm going to get a DX6 (as soon as find a european distributor with reasonable prices), and I'm interested in a TX antenna modification too.
Preferably one that positions the Tx antenna along the back of the Tx. That means that the whole tx can go inside my transmitter cover which can be completely sealed. this works very well for using the Tx in rain.
andy55 is offline Find More Posts by andy55
Last edited by andy55; Aug 24, 2006 at 02:06 PM.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 05:22 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
2.4GHz antennas don't work well close to other conducting objects (not without a lot of careful design, anyway), so that's not a good plan.
Old Oct 09, 2006, 06:39 PM
Joined Mar 2005
25 Posts
Finally added an

Ok, so it's been a few months, but I've added on an antenna. I used:

U.FL to RP-SMA Female Bulkhead 6"
5.5dBi Rubber Duck Antenna

from http://www.jefatech.com/

Doing the standard range test I got about 50 feet away before things started cutting out. Before I had troubles getting even the required 30 feets, so I'm quite happy.

Any questions?
Old Apr 02, 2008, 12:26 AM
Registered Loser
Joined Feb 2008
212 Posts
Hey Jaskew,

Did it work??
any better range??
loserdave is offline Find More Posts by loserdave