Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:49 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,028 Posts
Discussion
Fournier RF4

Anyone know of good scale plans for a small RF4?

I've got the West Wings kit, but I am not inspired by it. Too semi, and not scale enough.

There are excellent 1/4 scale versions, but I'd like something much smaller for cruising around on a calm evening or thermal hunting on a not too gusty day.

Or... a good three-view that I could work from.

I've wanted one of these since I first heard of them and that was when it was a new plane.

Pete (suffering from too many daydreams syndrome)
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some Books About Flying
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:46 PM
Sir Tim Rowledge
Qualicum Beach, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2001
190 Posts
Probably bigger than you want but take a look at Mick Reeve's version -http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/ anf 'kits' then half way down the page. I have a semi kit waiting build time. Oh, and the impetus to cad0ify the ribs/formers and get them laser cut
rowledge is offline Find More Posts by rowledge
Old Aug 16, 2006, 02:44 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,028 Posts
Thanks rowledge, that's one of the 1/4 scale ones that I am not ready to build. There is also a German kit (CNC?) that is very nice and very expensive.

I'd like one around 1/8 or 1/6th scale. If I could pick a designer/builder I'd love to see one made by Steven's Aero. His kits are beautiful and are supposed to go together very easily.

Of course if Peter Rake or Pat Tritle decided to design one I would certainly be paying attention.

The attraction of Steven's Aero is that he lives at 6,000 feet and he designs and builds light because stuff just doesn't fly at that altitude unless it's light. That and the super neat way he makes joints that lock together. Everything is self aligning.

Pete (still daydreaming)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:24 AM
Where's the lift?
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined Mar 2001
2,873 Posts
Pete,

Go here to see my good buddy Fred Guilfoyle's thread on his 80" Fournier. He now has plans drawn up for a quarter-scale version.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153662

Fred's homepage is here:
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
dgliderguy is offline Find More Posts by dgliderguy
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:25 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
Daydreams in Common?

I got as far as estimating 63" span as being OK for the very powerfull bell motor, which will well overpower my 36" span Turbulent..... unless I use a 2S 7.4 lipo?

Anyway, I'm now thinking of going ahead at 61" ..... dunno yet

It's on my list after completing the Turb and the Auster. No promises - (You know how it is! ) - if it comes to fruition, it will probably be another shorty with the Turbulent (when that's done).

Of course, you've managed to rekindle this one back into my early morning CAD fix, Pete!

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:08 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Many years ago (in Radio Modeller magazine, I think), there was an excellent free plan of the Fournier RF4 by Peter Miller - 56" for Cox .049 power, which would make a good electric conversion (if it's still available somewhere). I built the wings for it but never got round to finishing it and then lent the plan out with the inevitable result; no more plan!

Anyone know if the old Radio Modeller plans are still available somewhere? There's one or two I wouldn't mind getting hold of again.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:14 AM
Keep off the Grass!!
Cardiff Wales UK
Joined Jun 2003
1,681 Posts
...remember it well

Alec Gee might have been the editor at the time, he certainly was later. Then he moved to the current Aviation Modeller International which absorbed RM and "Aeromodeller" - they should have those plans available? Also the 1/48 & 1/72 3 views published in the latter magazine when the RF4 first appeared.

Ade
Adrian Britton is offline Find More Posts by Adrian Britton
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:27 AM
Bedlington, England
Joined Mar 2003
222 Posts
Steve

Nexus (or whatever they are called now - publishers of RCM&E) still sell the old Radio Modeller plans, including those given away free with the magazines like the "0-4-nier" or whatever it was called that Peter Miller did.

Trouble is, since their website went down with the searchable plans list, you have to rely on phone orders and you need the plan number "RMXXX" as well as the model name to order.

I've got a copy of the plan if you want to finish the fuselage...
alangorham is offline Find More Posts by alangorham
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:54 AM
Kilsyth, Victoria, Australia
Joined Oct 2003
1,963 Posts
Pete, After your comments regarding the West Wings model definitely don't think that the 0-4- nineier would suit as that was very semi-scale although a good flier. Strangely there was another free plan from Nexus of the RF 4 that was quite close to scale and also for small glow, this was somewhere around the 60" span I think. Somewhere in my collection I'm sure I still have this although it may be available from Encanta(new owners of Nexus/Highbury) but who knows?
David Hipperson is offline Find More Posts by David Hipperson
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:25 AM
North East England
Joined Feb 2004
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alangorham
Steve

Nexus (or whatever they are called now - publishers of RCM&E) still sell the old Radio Modeller plans, including those given away free with the magazines like the "0-4-nier" or whatever it was called that Peter Miller did.

Trouble is, since their website went down with the searchable plans list, you have to rely on phone orders and you need the plan number "RMXXX" as well as the model name to order.

I've got a copy of the plan if you want to finish the fuselage...
Thanks mate. I ended up giving the wings away to someone at my old club, never to be seen again! If you have a scan of that plan I'd appreciate it, as it would make a nice electric conversion - I shudder to think of all the plans I've swapped/loaned/lost all those years ago which would have been so suitable for converting now. I'll PM you my email address.

Steve
Redbaron25 is offline Find More Posts by Redbaron25
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:26 AM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
Not much help, other than maybe some inspiration. This a scratch-built RF-4, O.S. .91 FS, and its team, as we appeared, sometime late in the last century.
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:25 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,846 Posts
I might have hit gold for you! I knew I had something in my loft and I just found it.

Aeromodeller May 1979 (yes, the staples are rusty!) carries a four page 'aircraft described' article on the RF-4D with a good 3-view and detail photos, Aeromodeller Plans Service No 3005 at 1/16 scale if this means anything to Nexus.

Then....

I remembered a plan for a control line RF-4 (strange subject for C/L?) from Aeromodeller December 1979 (not sure if the mag is there) and found that as well.

The plan number is CL1379 drawn by Ken Burton, power 0.19 glow, Span 54 inches. Prototype had foam/veneer wings, plan shows built up wings. Tailplane/elevator from 1/8 sheet.

It looks like ideal size for electric power with lightened structure, the wing section is symetrical and would need a minor redesign.

Tried to take a photo but my camera batts are dead, could scan the article, plan would be slightly harder but not impossible.

By strange coincidence I was offered a flight in a friend's RF-4 very recently but didn't quite get round to it, a bit worried about landing gear up perhaps.

Just found a bit more info: http://www.fournieruk.com/ looks good, attached a photo from this site of the RF-4 I was supposed to fly (I will one day!)

All the best

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:29 PM
Boston, MA subburb
Joined Sep 2004
1,180 Posts
If RC Modeler is still in business, they had a plan http://www.rcmmagazine.com/e/env/sto...m=plans:pl-557
Al Offt is online now Find More Posts by Al Offt
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:51 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
829 Posts
Pete, I have the full size aircraft plans. If you need them, and they are a bunch, let me know. I could loan them to you or make copies of what you need in order to make your model. I built one with 144" back in the 80's but I sold it to a man in South America and have not even a photo. The plans are in French of course, but the lines are drawn in English. Let me know, Joser.
Thermaleer is offline Find More Posts by Thermaleer
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:32 PM
Joined Apr 2004
7,028 Posts
Thank you all, this is an overwhelming response.

Thermaleer, I'd love to see the full sized plans, but that's way overkill. I'd probably start shopping for wood in quantity. Most of my RC planes are in a friend's house and his wife would probably throw me out if I showed up with full sized plans! Thanks for the offer.

Adrian, I downloaded your three-view. Dgliderguy, I was almost late for work reading the thread by Fred Guilfoyle this morning and taking a peek at his web site.

I will try to find the Aeromodeller three view. I really like their stuff and I have a few old issues I will never part with for the drawings in them.

I have to make a comment about my thoughts on scale and modeling. I like having a plane that looks pretty much scale, but I am not a fanatic scale builder. I also like models that look like models. I don't mind the sun shining through the covering including places where there was aluminum or plywood on the original. Ideally I like to have balsa sheet where there was metal and tissue where there was cloth if I am building that type of model. I guess if it looks like a rubber powered scale model that's fine with me. I really have no place in my heart for skinny, stretched out fuse's that remind me of "scale" models that are ordinary sports planes painted to look like what they are not and then called what they are not.

The first scale models I built as an adult were small rubber powered planes and I still like stuff like that

I love my Dave Patrick Supercub and my fiberglass ASW 28 and it bothers me not that most of the work was done by someone else. In the attic is a Fleet Bipe superscale built by a deceased club member. It has an OS five cylinder radial and I am afraid to bring it to the field. I love that too, but if I ding it I will have to spend a month doing an invisible repair. That's too scale for me! If I built it I would not feel the pressure.

If anyone offered me a chance to fly an RF-4 (the only rating on my license is glider) I'd take it and not worry about the retract gear. I'd just leave it down. I think someone totaled an RF-4 here in New York state landing wheel up. Read about it while poking around for info on the plane.

I found an RF 3 among all the stuff I downloaded this morning and I can't figure out where it came from, but I think I am going to look at Adrian Britton's three view and start doodling. I really want an evening flyer.

In the summer my club's monthly meeting is at our field, where we fly and picnic until dusk, then attend to business. That's the picture I have in mind when I think about planes like this. Normal weekends are for big, noisy stuff that can survive wind and occasional trees.

Pete
RCG Plus Member