HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:04 AM
Joined Oct 2005
111 Posts
Question
Can we have a list of cameras that will work with the PRISM

Hello all,

I am still looking for a new AP camera and in my effort to narrow the field I have decided on the following features, I would like something that will do 30fps 640x480 video, and is around 20mm thick, and works with the PRISM remote trigger device. Can we develop a list of cameras that work with the PRISM so I can pick one that suits my spec ?

The following cameras look interesting but I can find no reference either way with respect to working with the PRISM (probably means they wont) any help greatly needed :

Pentax Optio T10, Pentax Optio A10, Olympus u810, Canon Digital IXUS 65, Nikon Coolpix S5, Nikon Coolpix S6

Cheers, Cam.
cweeks is offline Find More Posts by cweeks
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:43 AM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
I use the Pentax Optio S5n which has 640X480 30fps video and works with the PRISM. A list of all cameras ompatible witht he PRISM would be nice.
Talontsi96 is offline Find More Posts by Talontsi96
Old Aug 16, 2006, 12:55 PM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
Pentax Optio S6. Both that and the A10 use DivX compression for video which works really well. Excellent quality and 42 mins on a 1gig card.

Some people have had good results with stills and some not. Bit of a gamble, i think the earlier models are better for stills.

Paul.
English Electric is offline Find More Posts by English Electric
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Does the A10 work with the Prism switch?, I was under the impression that the A10 did not have the IR remote option. By the way the S5n also uses Mpeg4 copression. 21 minutes of video at 640X480 on a 512MB card....
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:20 PM
KC5UH transmits -------->
Arlington, Texas
Joined Aug 2002
678 Posts
The list is right here...

http://store.hexsys.biz/cubecart/ind...d&productId=10

The select box lists cameras that the prism is made for.

David
ham2405 is offline Find More Posts by ham2405
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:55 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
The box just lists manufacturers not individual camera models. Not all Pentax ,Canon or Nikon cameras will work with the Prism...
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:26 AM
S.C.R.A.P.S Member
United Kingdom, England, Farnham
Joined Oct 2005
1,331 Posts
A10 works with prism.

Paul.
English Electric is offline Find More Posts by English Electric
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:26 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,576 Posts
Try here: http://hexpertsystems.com/prism/index.html

Or ring MX for more details.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:36 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Electric
A10 works with prism.

Paul.
Thats great news. I might pick one up now. I was under the impression that it would not work because the specifications in the link below showed theat there is "no" remote control:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...x_optioa10.asp

If you check the optio S4,S5s, S6s' the all say remote "optional"....

A10 sounds great...8 MP will make for some nice BIG prints....

Paul
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:52 AM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
Pentax Cameras that support the Pentax Remote E or Remote F
- zoom and shutter control
Pentax Optio: S, S3, S4, S40, S4i, S5i, S50, S5n, S5z, S6, A10, SV, 750Z
Pentax APS cameras, SLR (ZX-7), EI-200, 928M
Olympus Cameras that support the Olympus RM-1 or RM-2 Remotes
- shutter control only
Olympus C7000
Canon Cameras that support the Canon RC-1 or Canon WL-DC100 Remotes
Canon: PRO90, S60, S70, G6, ELPH, ELPH 490Z, SureShot Z135, Rebel 300D,
EOS Elan II/Elan IIe, EOS Elan, EOS 10S, and EOS IX.
Nikon Cameras that support the Nikon ML-L3 Remote
- shutter control only
Nikon N65, N75, D70, D70s, D50
Aiptek
Aiptek MPVR
I have not tested all of these, but based on the fact that they support the manufacturer's IR remote, they should be compatible, since I duplicate the remote control protocols. I list the remote controls whose protocols I duplicate, so if you have a camera you're interested in, you can check if it supports the manufacturers remote control and therefore PRISM.

Anyone using other cameras I haven't listed or have any corrections, please let me know and I'll update the list.

Thanks,

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:15 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
San Mateo, Ca , USA
Joined Jun 2000
5,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96
T
If you check the optio S4,S5s, S6s' the all say remote "optional"....

A10 sounds great...8 MP will make for some nice BIG prints....

Paul
"optional" means the remote control unit (transmitter) is not in the box with the camera you buy. You have to order the tx seperately.

I wonder about the 8MP, its real alright but still using a tiny lens to capture the image. The technology can create a CCD sensor that has 1000000000000 cells, but the quantity of the light coming through a pin hole is still the same. I wish they would put a bigger lens on the optioooo series.

Brian, an EAJ
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:22 AM
Joined Jun 2004
1,624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhchan
"optional" means the remote control unit (transmitter) is not in the box with the camera you buy. You have to order the tx seperately.

I wonder about the 8MP, its real alright but still using a tiny lens to capture the image. The technology can create a CCD sensor that has 1000000000000 cells, but the quantity of the light coming through a pin hole is still the same. I wish they would put a bigger lens on the optioooo series.

Brian, an EAJ
I know that "optional" means that its not in the box, but available. My point is that the A10 showed "no" for remote so I thought that the prism will not work on it. As far as the lens and sensors are conserned, i agree with you to a degree...I know that there was a huge difference in picture quality between My Optio S4 and the S5n and that was the same sized lens and a CCD sensor with only 1MP more resolution.

At one point it will come down to the lens quality and size, over the CCD sensor resolution, however I'm not sure where that line is.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
MX
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
From some reason, many of the manufacturers don't advertise the fact that their camera will use the remote. I usually have to download the manual and read the fine print to find out. And even then they sometimes don't mention it, especially when there's no separate option to turn remote capability on or off. That's why it's difficult to maintain a complete list of support camera models.

MX
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:15 PM
Joined Oct 2005
111 Posts
Quote:
From some reason, many of the manufacturers don't advertise the fact that their camera will use the remote.
That was exactly the trouble I was having. It was compounded by the fact that Canon in the UK don't make the manuals available to download they try and charge you. Went to the US site in the end and the manuals are up for download.

Thanks for the help MX, no doubt you guessed I am the same person that emailed you a couple of days ago.

The Optio A10 is looking like it might be the one for me, would be a dead cert but I am not keen on the wierd video specification, the fact it records at 30fps from a 20fps stream, I am guessing it makes up every third frame. This makes it not much better than just about every other camera that records at 15fps.
cweeks is offline Find More Posts by cweeks
Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
MX
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96
...At one point it will come down to the lens quality and size, over the CCD sensor resolution, however I'm not sure where that line is.
I would definitely take lens quality over megapixels when I can. My wife's 3.3 mp Sony with Zeiss optics takes much better pictures than my 4 and 5 mp Optios or my 6 mp MPVR. However, it weighs over a pound and has no IR port. The problem is getting good optics into a small and light camera that we can interface with for aerial photos. My Optio S4 was pretty darn close though, until I bonked the lens on a rough landing.

Beyond about 4 to 6 mp, I don't think more pixels helps much, just means you need a bigger flash card to hold the pictures. The exception would be if you want to blow the photos up to about 20x30 or crop to look at fine details. Even then you really need good optics to make the pixels good.

My wife's Sony just died. Wouldn't focus right anymore. Repair cost was a flat rate $250, so I decided to pick her out a new more updated one. Got her a Panasonic Lumix FZ7. It's only 6 mp, but with the Leica lens takes really great pictures. Plus it has shutter priority, aperature priority, antishake, etc. Only $300. It only weighs 10 oz. (hmmm I think my 72" electric telemaster can carry that )

MX