HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:54 AM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Hey guys,

This thread is very helpful. When I first started making and selling kits I wanted to rent a laser cutter… the problem is the people I contacted out here said they would do it but then I could never get them to answer my emails after that… Seeing that this is going to be "my problem" down the road when customers are waiting for their "back ordered" kits, I decided to find another way…

I now cut out all my kits with a hotwire-super-template deal. I can cut up to 20 sheets at a time. At first I was not happy with it, but now that I have improved the templates and have gotten better at the "finesse" of it, the kits are coming out much, much better. I am very happy with the speed and quality. The quality control is now depended on me and my skills/ability to do a good job… which is just what I want.

PICS: The wing of the BlackWing 3D plane… Two little bolt-tabs hold everything in place. My newer templates/models (F1 Hydro) I have combined 3-5 parts onto one temple. The tabs are either cut off by me (for the BW and F117) or the customer (F1 Hydro).

Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:12 AM
PB #2212
London, England
Joined Dec 2005
330 Posts
how much is one of them hot wires?

and the work seems to come out very well

dan
3dflyindan is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyindan
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:35 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Rex, NC "Extreme Boonies"
Joined Jan 2002
2,360 Posts
I'd Probably build them...

Artritis & all! Sorry for the rant everyone...I know you all have excuses, err..reasons why you can't cut yourself...busy schedule/no time,...rather build than fly, no space,.. allergic to stainless cutting implements,..big toe transplant to hand due to severed thumb (though you manage to use the R/C sticks OK )shaky hands (again, remarkably smooth on the gimbals though ) chronic infected hang nail disorder, etc, etc, etc.
D.I.Y. seems to mean: After the P/C program designs the plan, creates the rastors, scales & sends it to the printer, or CD, I can send it to the laser cutter, who will reload the program, calibrate the laser, choose your wood (or foam) for you, knock out the pieces, computer-print a label, and in a few days you'll carefully shake the box upon arrival, and painstakingly work an end-flap loose (after much internal debate on which end flap of the box will provide the LEAST resistance) Give yet another calibrated shake,.. and the box poops-out a semi-built structure (if you have gauged your calibrated shake correctly) Then... comes the moment of truth! You carefully open the Probond, foam safe CA, epoxy, whatever you're using (only after reading the back of the bottle for several minutes, and if you're using foam safe CA..STILL forgetting to turn the CA bottle away from you when opening and gluing one eye shut! )Then,.. YOU, become the "Master",...carefully delegating the precise mixture of adhesive in just the exact & proper place! "MAN!... that was the hardest scratch build I've done in the last...oh a day-and-a-half!"..then the process repeats itself.
Covering? OoooOOOoh, no!... I have no time, rather be flying, adverse allergic reaction to covering irons, too expen$ive, Big toe to hand transplant after severed thumb....
For Me, being a dinosaur in this CAD designed, electron-digital world is a mixed blessing. I can bennifeit from today's latest digital technology, and blend them with all the analog things I've learned from the late 50's, 60's 70's & 80's...(I call it "Codger Assisted Design" )and when I pass, (as all dinosaurs do) and am met by all the really BIG dinosaurs, like Joe Ott, Carl Goldberg, Ken Willard, Walt Mooney, Paul DelGatto, Earl Stahl and a long host of others, I can wave, and hopefully they see & recognise the razor blade & Exacto scars on My fingers, and welcome me into the fold Well,... that was therapeutic! I feel MUCH better now ....Bob
Demon-Leather is offline Find More Posts by Demon-Leather
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Aug 17, 2006 at 07:31 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:54 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,969 Posts
Bob,
You are a serious trip Dude I know all of those names you mentioned. I have probably done more scratch than kit building over the past 50 years of my modeling. Do you know what an RK61 is? That is how far back I go in RC. Now I enjoy the flying more than building and look for easy ways to produce a neat bird. I may be old but I have embraced all of the modern technology.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Aug 17, 2006, 02:49 PM
Just one more flight...
Pasadena Cal-i-Forn-I-AY!
Joined Sep 2005
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dflyindan
how much is one of them hot wires?

and the work seems to come out very well

dan
That one there was about $150 I think.

Dave
RCSuperPowers is offline Find More Posts by RCSuperPowers
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:25 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,360 Posts
RK61's,..Amtron,..and D.I.Y.RTF/ARF Lasered kits...and "Mean-Old-Man Syndrome"

Well,.. If I remember correctly, an RK61 was a vaccume tube commonly found in radios, TV's, & the like before that "new-fangled transistor" made em obsolete (well, not for at least another 10 years in MY house...Dad didn't trust that new technology ) I also remember mowing lawns all summer to buy my first single channel escapment R/C set...39.95 mail-order(which was like 200 bucks back then, Dad bought the escapement for me) I remember playing "lab-retriever" for my Dad and fetching his old gas free-flights in the 50's...(what a treat too!)
I dunno... guess a have a "skewed-view" of D.I.Y. It, to me, ACTUALLY means DO IT YOURSELF I can almost understand balking at cutting intricate, small balsa pieces,.. but foam?!... 'comon! Geeeeeze! And most of the planes we're talking about are flat-plate, profile, and 4 pieces for the ENTIRE aircraft (OK... maybe 6 pieces ) I think it's taking it too far, and we're all going to go buy lasers so we can cut out a Kleenex just to blow our noses. Truthfully, I'd probably break My laser, not reading the instructions like any Mui-Macho American male, and end up cutting off the laser head, or accidentally cutting the first run from my megere gludious maximus (the only small and lacking part on me! ) In MY day,.. we had to chew the balsa to size,.. get splinters in our gums & tongues...bleed, and we liked it!... we didn't need those mamby pamby lasers...
Actually,.. if you want to use lasers.. hey, whatever floats yer boat.. but you should post it in A.D.I.Y.S.B. (Almost do-it-yourself-scratch-builts) Hmmm... guess we need another forum.. any votes? I just think Laser stuff needs to be in kits & ARF's... I mean, what's the point of having it cut?.. unless it's going to be mass produced? If I ran out and got everything I ACTUALLY scratch built lasered, I'd have to give up the hobby! It just doesn't make sense. Scratch building is just that, taking nothing and making something. I know,.. I know.."but,.. I made the CAD program,.. I designed the Rastor" You might have.. To you.. it's scratch,.. to us, it's going to have to be a kit.. unless the CAD files & rastor files are free... Then we still have to find someone to cut it. If You want to sell kits,.. it's right down the hall. I seen my share of cartoon 3-D planes, shock flyers, etc that have 6 pieces and run $69.95- $85 bucks, AND people buying them & saying "Whoo-Hoo!"
But.. DIY is DIY... Bob
Last edited by Demon-Leather; Aug 17, 2006 at 07:06 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:33 PM
West Palm Beach , FL, USA
Joined May 2001
1,063 Posts
RC who makes that hot wire cutter
ARCHER7153 is offline Find More Posts by ARCHER7153
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:47 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,969 Posts
Bob,
The RK61 was a thyratron gas tube that was used with some of the first CW operated radio control units. Berkeley Aerotrol was one of them. Setting it up and adjusting everything took more time than the actual flight. Occasionaly the radio would work long enough to allow you to take the plane home in one piece! I love this modern computerized stuff, minature servos, Lipos and electric flying
Gary
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:20 PM
e-flight in 24˝th Century
Cypress, TX
Joined Jul 2004
525 Posts
I've always looked at enjoyment in this hobby as what 'I' want to do. Others may want different things (building, flying, designing) but in the end a person has to do what makes he/her happy otherwise s/he will probably move on to other areas.

just my 2˘

W
Waldo Pepper is offline Find More Posts by Waldo Pepper
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:23 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,360 Posts
Me too...

I got that $39.95 A.H.C. Special to work.. twice,.. then forgot to wind the excapement and it flew away... After that... nothing but free-flight till 1978 when I got out of the Army,.. then "Hey Hey,.. Kraft all the Way!"
Got out of R/C in '85.. back in by '92...Discovered electric in '01 Now it's '06, and I'm taking planes I built that were on the "bargain shelf" in '59 and electrifying them with full-house micro R/C. Names like Capitol, Ace Whitman, Joe Ott...models of aircraft nobody usually knows what they are. I have a matching set of rebuilt "Harley knees" and My free-flight retriever days are waaAAAaay over, but with that new-fangled digital stuff... I can get them to land at my feet (well... "almost" ) I know Dad is smilin' seeing me fly a Scientific Mercury Jr., a Bay Ridge pacer, and his favorite the Super Yogi...
Heh,.. the way I fly,sometimes I think he's fetching for me now....because I can't explain how some make it back. Bob
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:23 PM
PB #2212
London, England
Joined Dec 2005
330 Posts
that hot wire is pretty cheap does it take long to get used to and makin templates if you do do they take long ???

many thanks

dan
3dflyindan is offline Find More Posts by 3dflyindan
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:42 PM
"Experienced-Crasher"
Joined Jan 2002
2,360 Posts
Foam wire cutting.......

Theres a fellow Arx n Sparx(Brad) who was doing kool things with a wire cutter like slicing foam thickness-wise & making it thinner... I think I spelled it right, but if not, he posted in My "The Square Foot" thread. check the spelling, and do a search to find his foam wire cutting threads. he's really good.. even sent me a transformer and wire to try it out! I think he posted on page 3 or 4 http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374507
Bob
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:16 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
Gary did you ever get a reply from Depron Laser cutting.........I see he hasn't been around here since the 25 of July.........

JAM
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:30 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,969 Posts
JAM,
I did receive a reply. They cannot work from the PDF file I have. I am trying to obtain a DXF now.
Gary
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:54 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon-Leather
D.I.Y. seems to mean: After the P/C program designs the plan, creates the rastors, scales & sends it to the printer, or CD, I can send it to the laser cutter, who will reload the program, calibrate the laser, choose your wood (or foam) for you, knock out the pieces, computer-print a label, and in a few days you'll carefully shake the box upon arrival, and painstakingly work an end-flap loose (after much internal debate on which end flap of the box will provide the LEAST resistance) Give yet another calibrated shake,.. and the box poops-out a semi-built structure (if you have gauged your calibrated shake correctly) Then... comes the moment of truth! You carefully open the Probond, foam safe CA, epoxy, whatever you're using (only after reading the back of the bottle for several minutes, and if you're using foam safe CA..STILL forgetting to turn the CA bottle away from you when opening and gluing one eye shut! )Then,.. YOU, become the "Master",...carefully delegating the precise mixture of adhesive in just the exact & proper place! "MAN!... that was the hardest scratch build I've done in the last...oh a day-and-a-half!"..then the process repeats itself.
You mean this is not scratch building???!!

Now now! Feel better? I agree to a point. I still like to scratch build. My last one was an enlarged Walt Mooney Renard R17 converted to 4 channel. I even cut my own wood with a balsa stripper. (I am allowed to use one am I?) When I started building when I was 9, I used a double edge razor blade. That was it. Then when I was about 12 I got my first exacto knife. Wow. I could have used the razor blade but I used the knife because I had it. Then I remember getting a scroll saw. Didn't need it but I might as well use it. Now I have a laser cutter. I don't need it, but I might as well use it. But in all seriousness I have respect for the scratch builder. The kind of scratch building a person does with a laser cutter is different. Someone can sit down for hours at a computer designing their perfect plane. Thats their way of scratch building even though it isn't "scratch building". Just a different tool to cut with. (or cut your fingers with ) Maybe we should call it "scratch assembling".
Bob, keep up the good work, I love reading about your latest projects. We missed you when your computer crashed a while ago. By the way, whats a traditionalist like you flying electrics for? Shouldn't you be flying gas/glow?

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm