HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:10 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,351 Posts
Discussion
Is it just me or do you always check out slopes while driving, watching TV etc?

Ok, time for a confession.
Wherever and whenever I'm driving anywhere, watching TV or a movie, I can't help but check out the slopes that I can see, trying to work out if I could fly it. Of course I'll never fly 99.99999999999% of the slopes, but I can't help it, a bit like I always check out every river I see for fishing prospects (I'm a fly fisherman on windless days).

It has paid off a couple of times though, I've remembered a slope on the road I have to drive and throw a plane in for a break mid drive or just a lucky find, nothing better for clearing the head than a 20min power fly!

Its a bit of a bugger though to see an awesome slope wizz by in the car without a plane to fly it though. I've been in Chile for 5 weeks with my g/f visiting her family and have passed up quite a few nice looking sites. Next time I'll have to bring a plane I guess.........

Steve
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:12 AM
cranium accessories
Raleigh, NC
Joined May 2004
1,788 Posts
Its definitely not just you. I point out all the slopes I see in movies and TV, much to the annoyance of my company.

Bryan
dustn is offline Find More Posts by dustn
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:21 AM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,953 Posts
Do it all the time. Didnt someone here crash their car while eyeballing a slope a couple of years ago? KoTH maybe?
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:27 AM
Twisted and Confused
Joined May 2003
4,351 Posts
Phew, thought I'd have to start a SlopeFinders Anonymous.
Thankfully my g/f is very understanding and will even point them out for me if she's in the car with me.
flyonline is offline Find More Posts by flyonline
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
My better half had to put up with me in the car (and no plane) driving the Big Sur coast. Talk about your missed opportunities
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:43 AM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno
Do it all the time. Didnt someone here crash their car while eyeballing a slope a couple of years ago? KoTH maybe?

nope, not me... im a great driver...
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:48 AM
more casual than stylish....
Joined Jan 2003
6,953 Posts
My bad...I remember it was back about 1 or 2 years ago.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:04 PM
Joined Mar 2005
850 Posts
i check out slopes alot too, but do even more jonesing on them dang trees! seems like from the second i wake up , to the last thing before i crash, im constantly peeking outside to look at which way them trees are bending. people must think, 'why is that freak always staring outside at the sky?'.

V V
-DoubleV- is offline Find More Posts by -DoubleV-
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:11 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I find myself constantly looking at wind conditions - trees, flags, etc., and also looking to see if the birds are finding lift. Haven't crashed yet.
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:29 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Aug 2005
458 Posts
Ha, i'm so bad that my gf now knows what a good slope looks like. We went for a short break to devon last week and were driving along a road next to the sea. When I say next to, we were about 300 ft up on top of a very nice hill. My gf laughs and says, 'I bet you wish you'd brought a plane'!!

still, got to do some surfing instead.....
alexholt is offline Find More Posts by alexholt
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:34 PM
You must die! I alone am best.
The Naughty Corner..Find me tweeting @slopetrashuk
Joined Sep 2003
5,011 Posts
My affliction got worse after I'd started to DS. Heck even some roofs looked good!

I feel ashamed.......Is there any hope for our souls.....
slopetrashuk is offline Find More Posts by slopetrashuk
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:38 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexholt
still, got to do some surfing instead.....
Alex, how's the surf in the UK, and water are water temps like? I've seen pics of a couple great spots in Ireland, but nothing on the mainland UK.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:47 PM
Yorkshire, UK
Joined Aug 2005
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchiessCo
Alex, how's the surf in the UK, and water are water temps like? I've seen pics of a couple great spots in Ireland, but nothing on the mainland UK.

Pete
Its ok.... I don't do very much any more. We spent a lot of long holidays on the coast when I was a teenager and I did a fair bit but now I have to work I only get to go maybe once a year. The water is pretty cool, I wouldn't want to do it without a wetsuit but there are some nice spots. The problem with most of the uk is that we have fairly short distances to other land masses so there isn't much distance for big surf to build up. Ireland, cornwall and devon seem the best places.
alexholt is offline Find More Posts by alexholt
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:48 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopetrashuk
My affliction got worse after I'd started to DS. Heck even some roofs looked good!

I feel ashamed.......Is there any hope for our souls.....
i know.. there is an IHOP in the valley that looks DS'able
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Aug 15, 2006, 01:22 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfTheHill
i know.. there is an IHOP in the valley that looks DS'able

I DS'd off the side of our old barn in the desert, with a Weasel.. It wasn't pretty in the 20mph wind..
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN