SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:24 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Stellenbosch, South Africa
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Discussion
PiccoZ, GyRotor - post your mods - part 1

This is version one of my Airwolf mod. No graphics yet. I changed the stock lipo with an Atomic 90mah. Top speed is Mach 2!!!
MegaTesla is online now Find More Posts by MegaTesla
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:35 PM
snɹɹıɔoʇl∀
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Dec 2005
395 Posts
Nice It's crying out to be painted though.

I think you're starting something here...
Altocirrus is offline Find More Posts by Altocirrus
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:52 PM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,070 Posts
so what kind of flying time do you get out of the 90mah batt???
that is a great looking Air W. body... looks like 2mm foam hollow body???

I think you said you just picked this thing up today too? and you already have a new body and battery... well done.
saabguyspg is offline Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:06 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Mmm.. I'm changing the battery back to the stock one. The heli is a bit heavy now.

Flight times with the 90mah cell and the stock body was about 10 minutes I think. Without the body the performance is much better, but what fun is that!?

(Yes I got it today, but I've been waiting months to do this mod )
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:26 PM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
Nice airwolf!

I hope to get mine soon at radioshack- its been reported its in the warehouse!! cant wait!!

beano
beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:06 PM
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
Well done body mod Megatesla!. Someone should post the other vac. formed one too.

Here are some paper bodies that were ment for the bladerunner:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=paper+body

I have a question about modding the Piccoz for airplane conversion. Who is going to be the First? _____

Edit here it is:
http://www.modelbouwforum.nl/phpBB2/...asc&&start=225
bEbOp ? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:09 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
An airplane conversion will not work well. On the lowest throttle setting the motors are already spinning very fast.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:21 PM
♠ ♂ ♠
Mile High City
Joined Dec 2004
473 Posts
You could always not use the stock gear box. Maybee an AA prop or the Piccoz Tail prop. Why not a homemade actuator rudder.?

I've tried searching for weight of components but didn't come up with anything. Next time someone is hacking there piccoz could you get some numbers for us.?

I like the look and the size of things I'm seeing._
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=35
bEbOp ? is offline Find More Posts by bEbOp ?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:47 PM
Reading, UK
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla
Top speed is Mach 2!!!
Surely that should be Mach 1+?

If you're needing more Airwolf reference pics, the best places are:

Airwolf blueprint for a general overview, and Airwolf mockup for the newly-completed museum replica. Can't get any more authentic than those. Print the blueprint on a landscape A4 sheet and it's almost good enough to work from directly. There are better 222 3-views out there, though, like this. Bonus points if you already know about all these.

My conversion has stalled due to pressures of real work and other builds that must be completed first, but I'll get it started soon. A friend is lending me the Season 1 box set for insipration.

Don't forget to replace the blue SMT LED with a red under-boom beacon, add the glue logic that'll fire up the turbine efflux LEDs at high throttle, proximity switch to drop the retracts, etc. Hehe.

Paul
Fanboy is offline Find More Posts by Fanboy
Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:27 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
Joined Apr 2004
2,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy
Surely that should be Mach 1+?

If you're needing more Airwolf reference pics, the best places are:

Airwolf blueprint for a general overview, and Airwolf mockup for the newly-completed museum replica. Can't get any more authentic than those. Print the blueprint on a landscape A4 sheet and it's almost good enough to work from directly. There are better 222 3-views out there, though, like this. Bonus points if you already know about all these.

My conversion has stalled due to pressures of real work and other builds that must be completed first, but I'll get it started soon. A friend is lending me the Season 1 box set for insipration.

Don't forget to replace the blue SMT LED with a red under-boom beacon, add the glue logic that'll fire up the turbine efflux LEDs at high throttle, proximity switch to drop the retracts, etc. Hehe.

Paul
With the thrusters the speed is Mach 1.5 actually Absolute top speed is Mach 2.

I know about those links, I think I've spent about 5-6 hours gathering pictures and info.

I watched the first 8 episodes of season 1 two weeks ago! Special effects have come a long way since the 80's.

I like your idea about the LEDs!!
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:00 PM
Is he really fat??
Miami, FL
Joined Jun 2006
185 Posts
Is that the piccoZ? If not what is an airwolf?
t00fatt is offline Find More Posts by t00fatt
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:46 PM
Joined Aug 2003
85 Posts
I think you Europeans are just rubbing it in......

Thats alright, you guys figure them out, then by the time they hit our shelves, we will know how to mod them....

BTW, airwolf looks great...
maximumgravity is offline Find More Posts by maximumgravity
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:35 PM
Ego varius quis.
Wisconsin
Joined Nov 2003
1,928 Posts
Woah.

Just curious, but would'nt the airwolf's "wings" kill some of your downthrust?
As soon as RS gets the PiccoZ, I'm getting two, and modding one for three channels.

EDIT:
I would think that the trick for a third channel would be to either A. shift the COG, which is a pain in the kiester, or B. somehow muck around with the rotor, which is even more of a pain in the kiester.

After looking at your heli, I had an odd idea: What if you flipped the "wings" 90 degrees, forming a set of flaps on the side of the heli? They'd be perpendicular to the rotor; if you want to go forward; just move the flaps forward, ducting the thrust backwards. Not elegant, but simple and light.

(Yes, I ripped the idea off of another cheap heli.)
Cheesehead is offline Find More Posts by Cheesehead
Last edited by Cheesehead; Aug 14, 2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:41 AM
Reading, UK
Joined Apr 2005
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTesla
With the thrusters the speed is Mach 1.5 actually Absolute top speed is Mach 2.

I know about those links, I think I've spent about 5-6 hours gathering pictures and info.

I watched the first 8 episodes of season 1 two weeks ago! Special effects have come a long way since the 80's.

I like your idea about the LEDs!!
I stand corrected! Must watch more Airwolf. I haven't seen any since I was a kid - it was bad enough then.

Possibly too fiddly for a direct scale build, but this and this might be of interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead
I would think that the trick for a third channel would be to either A. shift the COG, which is a pain in the kiester, or B. somehow muck around with the rotor, which is even more of a pain in the kiester. After looking at your heli, I had an odd idea: What if you flipped the "wings" 90 degrees, forming a set of flaps on the side of the heli?
A real Airwolf mod would just disengage its rotor sytem and ignite the turbines... Seriously, you might have something there. The horizontal slabs connecting the tail boom vanes could be replaced with verticals. More discreet. They migh be large enough at (near?) scale to have the desired effect.

Paul S.
Fanboy is offline Find More Posts by Fanboy
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
Akron/Canton, Ohio, United States
Joined Aug 2004
879 Posts
Hmm.. how much extra weight do you guys think the piccoz can lift? I think a third channel will simply weigh too much, but, hopefully it can lift the extra weight- 2 channels is 2/3's as good as 3 channels . Micro builder modded a single channel ir car rx onto the spinblade for forwards and reverse, but, the spinblade was a ~24 gram heli with nearly 40 grams of thrust and the piccoz is only about 10 with __ thrust. I think the extra channel by using a pen car rx would add 2 grams at the very minimum, too much weight..

I doubt that there is another channel 'hidden' in it.
beanoman is offline Find More Posts by beanoman