HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:18 AM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,262 Posts
Question
I want to fly big air on AUG 18 in SoCal ....Where???

I fly mostly at the beach near my house and I have a couple big wind planes that need to be flown. I have never been to Parker, Cajon or some of the other good spots north of San Diego.

That changes on Friday, I would like some advice from those who know where does it look good for Friday?

I have cleared it with the BOSS (wife). I told her I was leaving at the crack of dawn and I wouldn't be back until way after dark.

Anybody else up for a full day of flying?

Shrike
Pica
Ultron
scratch built wingeron U-2
and a few others

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:31 AM
Long Beach
Joined Jan 2004
1,404 Posts
Well.....How about Fermin...Great lift, great view, and great eye candies jogging in the park ..its been a constant 20-25mph...WSW after 2pm for the past two weeks...good for 50-70oz planes...I was even able to fly a 100oz DC3 with Timmig's 100+oz Mig over the weekend. Easy to get there too. Check it out
Henry V is offline Find More Posts by Henry V
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:32 AM
DS Will Change Your Life!
Parker Mtn / Valencia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
779 Posts
You should for sure try out Parker. It's been consistent the last week or so along with the enjoyable temps.

Would make if I didnt have to work.
_Sloper is offline Find More Posts by _Sloper
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:55 AM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
Oran I am off on Friday, If I have a Fermin plane ready by then I could make a trip up there...

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:12 PM
GOT WIND?
Escondido
Joined Jul 2006
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANATOR
I fly mostly at the beach near my house and I have a couple big wind planes that need to be flown. I have never been to Parker, Cajon or some of the other good spots north of San Diego.

That changes on Friday, I would like some advice from those who know where does it look good for Friday?

I have cleared it with the BOSS (wife). I told her I was leaving at the crack of dawn and I wouldn't be back until way after dark.

Anybody else up for a full day of flying?

Shrike
Pica
Ultron
scratch built wingeron U-2
and a few others

Oranator
Dude I will tell you what my brother. If you want to have an asskicking day.
The kind of day that makes torrey pines look weak. Go north to Rancho Palos verdes. You will have your choice of about 1 mile of cliffs to decide on. The landings are wide open and very forgiving. No traffic to worry about. No ocean to lose your plane in, Unless you go out too far and lose control. Which I have never once seen happen there. I can t make it on Friday but My friend Tom and I are going up there this Saturday if you want to meet up. It was a toss up between Cajon and Rancho Palos verdes. I think the ocean breeze sounds more relaxing to me.
Talk to you soon,
Jason
theclaw is offline Find More Posts by theclaw
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:41 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Rancho Palos Verdes? I haven't found any spots that would rival Fermin for lift-- but lot's of good spots to play. Any location in particular you're talking about?
Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:26 PM
Long Beach
Joined Jan 2004
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
Rancho Palos Verdes? I haven't found any spots that would rival Fermin for lift-- but lot's of good spots to play. Any location in particular you're talking about?
Tim
I agree..the only thing around that area that I can think of is North Face, but its not that time of year yet. or the Bluff, but AMA is a must there
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,811 Posts
Bluff Cove is Saturday and Sunday only. Jim will ask for your AMA, he's keeper of the Cove. WD
concreteman is online now Find More Posts by concreteman
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:45 PM
GOT WIND?
Escondido
Joined Jul 2006
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
Tim
The Bluff is alot of fun. But There was a huge spot where the lift was insane. I had found near some old sites where heavy ww2 guns were mounted. Anyone been there?
Talk to you soon,
Jason
P.S. Anyone ever fly up at Big Surr? I drove through there last month it looked amazing for flying.
theclaw is offline Find More Posts by theclaw
Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:05 PM
gas tires and oil
malad, idaho
Joined Dec 2004
2,438 Posts
i am going to arrive in palmdale friday the 18th for the race at grass mnt. on sat and sun.
i'll probably head up to parker to do a little DSing friday before race day. if all goes well i hope to get up there about noon or so.

marty
prplgoat is offline Find More Posts by prplgoat
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:01 PM
San Dimas, 40 km east of Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2002
1,336 Posts
Here is recorded wind speed and direction near Fermin.

http://www.mxsocal.org/weather.aspx
ktoey is offline Find More Posts by ktoey
Old Aug 15, 2006, 10:34 AM
Long Beach
Joined Jan 2004
1,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktoey
Here is recorded wind speed and direction near Fermin.

http://www.mxsocal.org/weather.aspx
Thats a great link ktoey, I added it to my favorites, I used to use accuweather.com, but this link looks pretty cool
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:14 AM
Joined Mar 2005
849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theclaw
The Bluff is alot of fun. But There was a huge spot where the lift was insane. I had found near some old sites where heavy ww2 guns were mounted. Anyone been there?

rocky point? theres also a great spot where i used to fly alot just past the slide area at abalone cove. parking is a pain but i used to love that place!

as far as relying on a particular date to go catch 'big air', you're at the mercy of the wind gods. if it were only that easy i heard its supposed to warm up this weekend. offshore flow = no wind.

V V
-DoubleV- is offline Find More Posts by -DoubleV-
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:33 AM
Slope Stud
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined May 2001
2,262 Posts
I think I am going to focus on Cajon

I think I am going to focus on Cajon

Who fly's there often and how does it look for this Friday???

Oranator
ORANATOR is offline Find More Posts by ORANATOR
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2006, 01:05 PM
Long Beach
Joined Jan 2004
1,404 Posts
Sorry...did the wife see the "eye candy" post?