1,137 Posts
Only checking
iceman3 is offline Find More Posts by iceman3
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:13 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Ok, I am in as well. Not to much in the way of current pics. In any case here is where I am at right now.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:15 PM
Fly
Alamogordo, New Mexico, United States
Joined Apr 2002
694 Posts
Just placed my order for a EG from Tower. Time to follow the Threads.
darenm is offline Find More Posts by darenm
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:15 PM
Just checking gravity...
Farmington, MI, USA
Joined Jun 2005
462 Posts
I still have no luck with my EGE... Looks like a great plane but I just can't get it to fly right.

My last attempt ended in a nasty crash... the whole nose was smashed luckily motor or the prop was undamaged. Just now looking over the glider again I decided to cut the whole nosepiece of and see where I can go from here.

And I guess I just forgot how to fly a glider because it appears to be a lot harder for me then a 3d foamy or anything else because the response is just so slow and it stalls just so easily, or maybe its just not trimmed right...

I am thinking of mounting a motor just like I am holding it up in the picture, it would be simple strong and easy to access but ugly and I am not sure how much it will affect the aerodynamics, would the extra drag reduce the performance a lot?

Any advices are much appreciated

Thanks
crazy pilot is offline Find More Posts by crazy pilot
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
mem
London, UK
Joined Nov 2005
1,516 Posts
Subscribing…
mem is offline Find More Posts by mem
Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:13 PM
Hoofddorp, Netherlands
Joined Sep 2004
3,917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy pilot
I still have no luck with my EGE... Looks like a great plane but I just can't get it to fly right.

My last attempt ended in a nasty crash... the whole nose was smashed luckily motor or the prop was undamaged. Just now looking over the glider again I decided to cut the whole nosepiece of and see where I can go from here.

And I guess I just forgot how to fly a glider because it appears to be a lot harder for me then a 3d foamy or anything else because the response is just so slow and it stalls just so easily, or maybe its just not trimmed right...

I am thinking of mounting a motor just like I am holding it up in the picture, it would be simple strong and easy to access but ugly and I am not sure how much it will affect the aerodynamics, would the extra drag reduce the performance a lot?

Any advices are much appreciated

Thanks
You could probably make a nice cowl from a piece of soda pop bottle to improve the looks and aerodynamics. With respect to the slightly increased drag without such a cowl: shouldn't hurt. I have a motor on a pylon behind the wing, and a huge lumpy camera carrier sitting on the nose like some sort of rhinoceros. Those two changes certainly increases drag, but the thing flies beautifully.
Arthur P. is offline Find More Posts by Arthur P.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:05 PM
Just checking gravity...
Farmington, MI, USA
Joined Jun 2005
462 Posts
Ok thanks, I decided not to make a crawl.

Anyway here's what it turned out like. I just guessed on the down thrust so I hope I got it right.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:27 PM
Just checking gravity...
Farmington, MI, USA
Joined Jun 2005
462 Posts
Another small question.

Does anyone have a problem with wings not staying firm in place? Mine seems to be moving a bit and I was wondering if there is a way to secure them besides glue. If not I think ill just CA them in there.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:59 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Crazy Pilot: I think you could put a layer or two of packing tape to build up the part of the wing that slips into the fuse.

As for my build. I am getting a little cogging with the motor, and I am wondering what that could be from. I pulled it out of the nose becuase I was also tired of all of the vibration that I was getting, something is just wrong. I did note that the pinion gear needed to be pulled forward about 2mm, so I did that and added a little more locktite to the shaft. After the locktite sets (in the morning) I will check to see if it is a problem with the setup vibrating at the gearbox or at the prop. First I'll reassemble it back together, then I'll spin up things with no prop installed. If there is no hint of vibration I will use a collet style prop adaptor/saver and put on a different prop to see if that vibration appears. Maybe it is time to get a second gearbox setup as the first could just be defective or else a better motor/gearbox setup will be in order. Is anyone packing their gearbox with any type of grease (maybe that is part of my problem as well, as I didn't add any)?

On another note my 20c (30c burst) 3s740 Kokam pack fits inside the fuse without modification. Maybe I can order up a 3s2p pack to fit in there.

Update***
I just noticed that one of my 3 motor wires was rubbing on the can as it spun, and it took some insulation away, maybe the motor was cogging as the motor can could have been getting some type of charge? Ok, It is time to change the motor choice for sure. I have to look at an outrunner that has its motor can protected so that there are no more issues like that, or an inrunner. I just need to try to continue to keep the cost down.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Last edited by TeamTEOR; Aug 15, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 03:44 AM
Brescia, Italy
Joined May 2004
784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy pilot
Ok thanks, I decided not to make a crawl.

Anyway here's what it turned out like. I just guessed on the down thrust so I hope I got it right.
Can you reverse the motor and install it inside the fuse?
It will be more protected and there is enough room for the wires to run away from the bell.
No improvement from the aesthetic point of view, of course!

Put some tape around the wing's root.

Piero.
CANTZ506 is offline Find More Posts by CANTZ506
Old Aug 15, 2006, 09:41 AM
Joined Jun 2005
114 Posts
Mem,

Thanks for the suggestion; the tape would actually 'bend' the fuselage a bit thus effecting a decalage change....

Yes, I read that discussion. Someone suggests removing ALL the decalage and moving the CG back to 80mm as the optimal. I would like the tool used to determine when I have removed it all, really. I would agree that at least this is optimal. I'm not sure about the CG, but I don't think you can do it until the other if you want positive results.
I traditionally use the hand toss on neutral controls, but down-wind, to check for CG looking for the longest glide and adding/removing weight to accommodate. This works well for me and subsequent in-flight tests for same haven't caused me to change those results. Downwind because I don't get that ballooning-on-intial toss-with-nose-dive and get the plane to stay in the air longer so I can observe its flight. With a proper zero delcalage, I would redo the CG most certainly, and then see where it winds up...

(As I stated, I attempted to remove the negative Decalage before first assembling the plane; This was done strictly by guessing, but now I need "UP" elevator. So I actually went too far because my plane dives rather than ascends. I actually need to move the ELE leading edge down a bit to "zero" out the positive decalage. Again, a tool is what's need in order to measure to do this correctly.) Anybody? Ideas?
DACeller is offline Find More Posts by DACeller
Old Aug 15, 2006, 11:33 AM
mem
London, UK
Joined Nov 2005
1,516 Posts
DACeller,
If you are looking for an incidence meter, then here are two that are available:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET66&P=M
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXPW71&P=M
mem is offline Find More Posts by mem
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:09 PM
Thermal seeker
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
566 Posts
Just subscribing. Still have mine in the box waiting to be put together.
Bohh33 is offline Find More Posts by Bohh33