HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2006, 05:43 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Build Log
Some simple foam from Germany - Das Frettchen (Ferret)

Hi all,

after moving and starting to work I finally got my workshop ready and going. So I decided to start up with some foam to check out the local slopes before going composite...

My choice was the Frettchen from epp-fun.de, which is supposed to be a high performance plank of 120 cm (47") wingspan. I have only built several combat wings so far so I'm eager to ferret out what this thing can do.

This is going to be a very simple build, no fancy stuff like spackle, goop or ultracote. Just foam, 3M77 and tape. Lets see if anyone is interested

So this is how I started this evening. I had already cut the ailerons out before I decided to do a build thread, so no pics of that. Before gluing the wing halves together, I cut the servo openings and prepared for the servo wiríng. See the pics for the rest...

Phil
Akerman is online now Find More Posts by Akerman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2006, 08:14 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,642 Posts
That's the way I do my servo installs, too. Way better than a router.
Is that Weihenstephaner you're drinking?
stu
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Aug 14, 2006, 06:18 AM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
No, it's not Weihenstephaner (which would be a good choice too), it's Nattheimer Edel-Pils from a local brewery...

This being my first EPP kit (we cnc cut the combat wings by ourselves at the university) and quite expensive made me wonder if it happens sometimes in EPP kits that the two halves have different length (span), in my case one was 5 mm shorter
To get such differences, the block alignment must be way off I think...

what is your experience?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:13 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,642 Posts
I have had plenty of wings that don't match exactly at the roots but never 2 different length cores. They should be a matched set.
One thing I miss about Europe is sampling the regional beers.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:42 PM
blah...
United States, OR, Bend
Joined Jun 2005
2,932 Posts
The Frettchen is NICE!!!

I've wanted one for a LONG time but never got around to it...

Check the godfather of the Weasel ripping it up with the Frettchen.. From Steves site...

Richter and the Frettchen
THUREN is offline Find More Posts by THUREN
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:52 PM
USA, CT, Fairfield
Joined Jul 2004
2,600 Posts
Interested to see the Spar arrangement. I built a couple of PW51 foiled wings in the same vein as the frettchen and they are great fliers, good luck with yours. One thing I learned is that the plane loves ballast, I don't think you can get it too heavy.

EB
Sleedo is offline Find More Posts by Sleedo
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:57 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,226 Posts
There's just something that seems wrong using digital calipers on a EPP wing
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:06 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLG
There's just something that seems wrong using digital calipers on a EPP wing
ROTFL
why? I'm from Germany, and I am engineer! So it should be pretty logical for me to use those

sorry, no update today, the wind was blowin' so I went slopin' you should have seen the face of the other slope flier at my office when I was leaving... he had to work late

regional beers? well, check out http://www.bier1.de for a preselection sorry, German only, but the star rating should be easy to understand

Cheers...
Old Aug 15, 2006, 02:41 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Great weather today, but as soon as I left the office the wind died down

so time for the spars. Very simple, just some 1.5 mm carbon rods. As they come in 1 m length, I had to overlap them in the middle. I chose to overlap them generously to also reinforce the servo area.
As the spars un the upper side are compressed when flying positive-g maneuvers, they should be stronger than the lower ones which are tensioned. So I put two spars on the upper and one on the lower side. See pics

Note: The device in the first pic is to be handled with extreme care as it causes unbalance when it is allowed to rotate. I had to lubricate it for smooth operation. Use at your own risk!
Last edited by Akerman; Aug 15, 2006 at 02:47 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 05:04 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Time for the fuse: Started to sand it round and put some openings for battery and RX in. I had to back off not to sand the nose too pointy

Then it was time to think about ballast. Taking Sleedo's advice (thanks!) I was wondering if 280 g (10 oz) would be enough... and how the heck to fit it in. Was thinking brass first, but came up with a better idea using lead.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 05:41 PM
Dave Massongill
yucaipa, ca
Joined Dec 2003
1,354 Posts
I the future it would be easier to have cut the fuse in half anto install the lead and then hot glue back together . the lead would not have had to go into the wing and it would have been much stronger.

DAve
masson74 is offline Find More Posts by masson74
Old Aug 15, 2006, 05:48 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Dave, thanks for your thoughts. I guess you assume the wing will be removable?
I forgot to mention, this will not be the case. It will be glued to the fuse... this is why I'm going such a complicated path

and the lead will be removable through that hatch in the back, of course. I only have to remember to put some handle on it to be able to pull it out again.

Phil
Old Aug 17, 2006, 05:47 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Take cover(ing)

After visiting a flying buddy yesterday and drooling over his collection of planes I got back to the build today. Did some more sanding, extended the servo wires and put the servos in. 3M77'ed right before dinner and started taping afterwards. More to come soon...
Old Aug 20, 2006, 03:57 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Finally did the upper side. Guess what company I'm working at...
The fuse was glued to the wing with 5min-epoxy after sanding the tape on the wing a bit. Seems to have worked.
Put all parts lying around on it, 260 g (9.2 oz) so far...

then I got distracted...
Old Aug 20, 2006, 04:22 PM
Japan, Tokyo, Setagaya
Joined Jan 2005
234 Posts
Some new project is coming up...

After a great day of slermal flying, we were chilling on my flying buddy's balcony, having a few beers and lots of plane talk.. then he suddenly went up to his attic and came back with a ~1985 Multiplex ASW 20 of 3.6 m (142") wingspan that he bought from an old guy who had given up flying. The ship was never flown, although all it needed was sticking in some servos, RX and battery. He gave me that ship almost for free..

The wings are built up and need new covering. The airfoil is kinda special, a Wortmann FX 62 k 131. Looks slermally...
The flaps and ailerons are balsa stock and seem to need reworking to roughly approximate the original foil. So I'm happily ripping off the covering, lets see what will be waiting for me underneath.

So far so good...