HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2002, 07:37 AM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Jan 2002
194 Posts
where can i get a GWS Zero in europe

I'm very interested in buying a GWS Zero. I've found several U.S. and japanese sites where I can mailorder the Zero from but then i have to pay the outrageous amount of 30 % import tax. I can avoid this by buying the plane in a european country (this includes Great Britain as far as taxes are concerned). Can someone please give me the link to the site of a european model shop where i can mailorder the Zero from ?

Thanks
Stephane is offline Find More Posts by Stephane
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2002, 10:35 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
No joy (in Great Britain at least) until September - that's when the boat full of GWS Zero are supposed to arrive at the main UK distributor - J P Perkins.

I'm not sure if you can avoid import duty but http://www.aircraft-world.com in Japan will ship anywhere in the world for $2.50 and they actually make the point of saying that they ship in anonymous packaging which might avoid the excise people getting nosey!

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Aug 08, 2002, 01:28 PM
Västerås, Sweden
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
The Zero has been out for a while now in Sweden. I saw one at KB:s in Falun last week. It's awsome! You can buy it fromMFT or KB:s to mention a few.
Perminator is offline Find More Posts by Perminator
Old Aug 09, 2002, 02:26 AM
Antwerp, Belgium
Joined Jan 2002
194 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

@ clawson :

does J.P. Perkins has a website or are there any online model shops which usually follow its line ? That way i can order it when it arrives in september.

@ perminator :

Thanks but i have a bit of difficulty reading swedisch. Do you know the exchange rate between the swedisch currency (the crown i think) and the euro ?

General remark :

It frustrates my that there are so many nice things on the market but that you can hardly buy or order them in europe. The model shops here seem to be stuck with the large german manufacturers (Robbe, Graupner, Multiplex, Simprop). Anything more exotic is not readily available. I can't even find jeti or Mega brushless motors in model shops here.

thanks,

Stephane
Stephane is offline Find More Posts by Stephane
Old Aug 09, 2002, 03:16 AM
Camberley, Surrey, England
Joined May 2001
147 Posts
Hello Stephane, you are not the only one that gets annoyed at this. I see all these new planes in the magazines, we don't get to see the products in Europe for almost six months. I lived in Belgium for a few years, and I know what you are saying, although I got some lovely kits whilst I was out there that I had never seen here in England. You might be best to just sit and wait it out, as every time I have ordered a kit through the post, it arrives as if a heard of elephants has rampaged over it (crushed)!
Best regards, Paul Ironmonger.
Paul15 is offline Find More Posts by Paul15
Old Aug 09, 2002, 03:24 AM
(aka Cliff Lawson)
United Kingdom, Essex
Joined Oct 2001
1,897 Posts
Stephane,

You can place a "pre-order" for the GWS Zero for when it arrives at Eflightmodels. This is a site run by Steve Wrona who is also here on Ezone. I've bought a couple of Switchbacks from him and various other goodies and he is a great guy to deal with.

That price is about €60 which seems pretty good to me.

Cliff
Wright Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Wright Flyer
Old Aug 09, 2002, 03:38 AM
Forli, Italy
Joined Dec 2001
242 Posts
Hi,
here in Italy the best offer is from:

www.jonathan.it

There isn't english language, but if u need I can help u navigating it.
GWS zero costs 97,3€ Prepainted with power unit.
The unpainted version (if u want to customize it) cost 72,79€ with power unit.

Bye,
anfarol
anfarol is offline Find More Posts by anfarol
Old Aug 09, 2002, 06:59 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Stephane,

I'm not sure I know where to get one from outside of the UK but can relate to your frustration in trying to get one of these models. I had to wait 6 months for mine to arrive in the UK.

Just for interest and I've posted a link to some flying shots below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=55260

I can only sugest you might drop a mail to GWS and ask where the local agent is to you and give them a call.

@Paul15: I would like to ask where you fly as I work quite near your shown location (in Farnborough - Hants.)
Fen Tiger is offline Find More Posts by Fen Tiger
Old Aug 09, 2002, 08:02 AM
Camberley, Surrey, England
Joined May 2001
147 Posts
Hello Fen Tiger,
I fly near where I work, it's called Hanworth Air Park, it's 20 miles from where I live in Camberley, but 2 minutes from where I work in West London. I have lived in Camberley for a year, and I do not know where to fly locally to where I live myself ! I think I will need to do some exploring and get a local map to look for open green spaces. I think Hanworth Air Park is to far for you to come, its just handy for me as I can have a fly after work.
If you do find somewhere closer to us in Camberley of Farnborough, let me know and we can meet up for a fly.
Best regards, Paul Ironmonger.
Paul15 is offline Find More Posts by Paul15
Old Aug 09, 2002, 08:34 AM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
953 Posts
aircraft-world has been mentioned before, but I must say again their service is great.
Also, I've never had to pay any taxes when ordering from them.
I've ordered from some US-based shops, and had to pay 20-30% tax when the package arrived at my door.

So now, I almost exclusively order from aircraft-world.com
There are sites that are a bit cheaper, but when you add shipping (and the risk of added taxes), It's more interesting to order from japan. Plus, the package always arrives within 5(!) days.

Hans (who's also thinking about ordering a Zero..)
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old Aug 09, 2002, 10:07 AM
Lincolnshire, UK
Joined Jul 2001
89 Posts
Hi Paul,

I fly on a number of small fields locally to you so if you could drop me an e-mail we could arrange to meet. Hanworth Park would be ok so this might be an option
Fen Tiger is offline Find More Posts by Fen Tiger
Old Aug 09, 2002, 04:00 PM
UK - in the middle somewhere
Joined May 2002
466 Posts
Re: where can i get a GWS Zero in europe

Quote:
Originally posted by Stephane
I'm very interested in buying a GWS Zero. Can someone please give me the link to the site of a european model shop where i can mailorder the Zero from ?

Thanks
I bought mine from 308 Hobbies at a stand at one of the model shows here in the UK three weeks ago. They are in the process of opening a shop in London but it will not be open until September -at the famous 308 Holloway Road - the site of an historic model shop for many years (Can you have an 'Historic' model shop? )

Their web site is at http://www.308hobbies.com/ . All you can get from the site at the moment is their email address. So you might be able to mail them. They did have quite a few in stock at the show so should be able to syupply. Incidentally - get some spare props at the same time - I bust mine on the second flight !! Lol.

Good luck!
Ratty
Hangar Rat is offline Find More Posts by Hangar Rat
Old Aug 09, 2002, 04:01 PM
Västerås, Sweden
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
Hello again Stephane! One € is about 9,3 kronor today.
If you find it difficult reading swedish I suggest you send an e-mail in english to either of the shops and they will most likely be happy to help you. Here's a the e-mail adress mailto:info@mft.nu
Old Aug 09, 2002, 04:03 PM
Västerås, Sweden
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
By the way, shipping and tax costs will be much cheaper because of the European Union.
Old Aug 09, 2002, 04:05 PM
Västerås, Sweden
Joined Aug 2002
66 Posts
the email should be info@mft.nu