HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
Help!
newbie looking for advice on a plane

I am a total newcome on RC Planes and am looking to buy my first RC airplane

http://www.hobbytron.com/RCJ3Grassho...cAirplane.html

The link above shows more information about the J3 Grasshopper. Please suggest if this plane is good for a complete new comer like me and if the price is OK!

From what I have gathered from reading previous posts, Super Cub and T-hawk seem to be the most suggested planes for first timers.

Here is a link to super Cub, it is much more expensive than the grasshopper though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=2563

Please adivse.

Is there a RC flying club in Des Moines area ?
star_crossed is offline Find More Posts by star_crossed
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:54 AM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,107 Posts
Ok if I were you I would get either a Hobbyzone Super Cub or a Hobbyzone Commander 2. If you get a Super Cub order from: www.hobbyzone.com
If you order it from hobbyzone you get free battery, free shipping, no sales tax, and a coupon with the plane for 10% off your next order. And the shipping is super fast. If you get a Commander 2 it is only $85 and the stock battery with the 3 hour charger (which only takes about 2 hours) will honestly fly for 30 minutes even without flying all that conservative.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:56 AM
Registered Flyer
White Bear Lake, MN
Joined Jun 2006
1,107 Posts
The grasshopper looks pretty cheap, no offense. The Super Cub and the Commander 2 both have ACT (anti crash technology) for a better flying experience and less likely to crash.
FuntanaS is offline Find More Posts by FuntanaS
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:25 PM
If it flys,I can crash it
Waxhaw,NC
Joined Feb 2006
23 Posts
I would get a T-Hawk from www.readytoflyfun.com. I'm new to the hobby the hobby as well and purchased this plane 2 months ago. It flew right out of the box for me. I've got maybe 19 flights on it so far and I love it. It's built tough and can take a real beating. I nose dived mine from 30 feet up and was flying again in minutes. I've also hit some trees, alot of bad landings and it still flys. A great plane.
CapnStebbs is offline Find More Posts by CapnStebbs
Old Aug 13, 2006, 04:52 PM
Electric Flyer
San Diego
Joined Jul 2006
10 Posts
I would recomend the Multiplex Easystar. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar-rtf.htm This one comes completely ready to fly and it is a great trainer. It is all foam which makes it extremely durable. I have seen someone dive it straight into the ground with almost no damage. Hobby Lobby has it on sale right now as well! Good Luck.
Lucas! is offline Find More Posts by Lucas!
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:00 PM
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply everyone, I actually found a post discussung the J3 Grasshopper and the user was not happy with the plane.

Looks like, I will put in the money and go for the Super Cub, definitely looks like a good buy for a newcomer.
star_crossed is offline Find More Posts by star_crossed
Old Aug 15, 2006, 01:14 PM
E-Flying in Montreal
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2006
453 Posts
I don't own one but I agree with lucas. Get the easystar, it's made of EPP (expanded polypropilene) the foam for making auto bumpers. Also a pusher propeller style plane would be much better for your pocket (personal experience) and you can use all the guts from easystar in your second plane since this are all hobby grade parts (no toy grade).

Hope this helps,
Pedro.
Pa0222 is offline Find More Posts by Pa0222
Old Aug 16, 2006, 03:20 PM
Just add water!
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Joined Aug 2005
468 Posts
Another vote for the EasyStar RTF! Tough as nails, ask me how I know!

My first flight a few weeks ago...

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...Starmaiden.flv

Tom
Tommyr is offline Find More Posts by Tommyr
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:27 PM
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Jun 2006
315 Posts
If you just have to have something more scale-like than the EZ* you might consider a GWS Pico Tiger Moth. I've just recently gotten started with one and love it. It's probably not quite as easy as an EZ* (I can't say for sure, as I don't own an EZ*, but that's the impression I get from the reviews here), and I'm pretty sure it's less forgiving of windy conditions, but I love mine and would not change my choice of first planes.

Doug
elsyr is offline Find More Posts by elsyr
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:45 PM
www.M-A-E.com
Lilburn, GA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
1,152 Posts
Here's another great option! We are offering the GWS Pico Stick upgraded with brushless CD-ROM power, beefier wing rods, and improved landing gear.

Our brushless motor is lighter and 2X more powerful than the stock IPS drive. It's also much quieter because it's direct-drive with no gearbox.

Our test-plane is flying at just 5-1/2 ounces with a 450-2S lipoly, and flight times are more than 20 minutes.

Check it out HERE.

Randy
Model Airplane Engineering
rcflyer11 is offline Find More Posts by rcflyer11
Old Aug 17, 2006, 06:56 AM
United States, NY, Queens
Joined Oct 2005
2,208 Posts
Go with the Super Cub. Its a new plane, so there isn't as much information available on it as on some of the others, like the EasyStar and T-hawk, but if you check out the various threads here, on RCUniverse and on WattFlyer, it seems that everyone who has purchased the SuperCub absolutely loves it. This goes for first time flyers, as well as flyers with experience. Seems like HobbyZone has done a terrific job with this one. The only drawback is the ACT - simply keep it turned off.
Leo L is offline Find More Posts by Leo L
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:23 AM
paulc
n. attleboro, ma
Joined Jul 2006
9 Posts
Super Cub is the best

I am a newbie. I started out with the Firebird Freedom. The Freedom is a very difficult plane to learn on. I crashed it many times. With the help of experienced guys at the field, and the G3 flight simulator I did learn to fly it, but by that time it had seen so many crashes that it would not fly straight.
I recently purchased the new Hobbyzone Super Cub. This thing flys great! I think this is the best and cheapest way for a beginner to make a successful entry into this amazing hobby. Buy a couple of upgrade batteries 1000mah cycle them charging very slowly the first time. I must say the included battery also seems to work fine. I now have a Slo-v and a Gyspsy with 370 brushless motor. The Super Cub is the best flyer. My next plane will be the Mini Ultra Stick. I could have saved a lot of time and money by purchasing the Super Cub and then the Ultra Stick.
pauleewogc is offline Find More Posts by pauleewogc
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:10 PM
Death and Taxes
Des Moines I'm in Heaven...I mean Iowa
Joined Feb 2006
833 Posts
I recommend the GWS slow sticks. Very easy to fly on calm days. Some of the horizon stuff is heavier than it needs to be, but again it aids in a crash. Practice on a sim, and then you cans start with better flying models from the get go. GWS e-starter is a great plane.
conceptmachining is offline Find More Posts by conceptmachining
Old Aug 25, 2006, 01:38 PM
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2006
71 Posts
hey star_crossed,

Do you want an electric or glow airplane? and what is your budget?

For me looking back id suggest getting a glow trainer to start out with. If you like building a kit you could go that route or u could get a ARF (almost-ready-to-fly) I learned and trained on the Avistar, its a great trainer. Others i know of that I've heard good things about are the PT-40, Kadet Senior, and a few others. Id check out your local hobby shop or www.towerhobbies.com and in the search field type in glow trainer or something along those lines. you will get many more to look at.

Id personally suggest this route or an equivalent electric, then get in touch with a local field near you and find an instructor who will teach you how to fly. This will save you the hassle and frustration of crashing alot, we all do crash, just its nice if you can avoid it when you first start out so you can get all the flying time in you can.

If you go the glow route you will need:

1)Starter Tote Box
2)Glow plug ignitor (id recommend the rechargable one)
3)Sullivan Deluxe 12V Starter
4)Electric or hand crank fuel pump
5)Radio, could start with a 4channel radio, or get a 7 channel etc... depends on your budget, i rly like my hitec flash5x radio, doing servo adjustments with it is alot easier that way
6) with the radio you usually get a packaged deal, 4 standard servos, and a reciever
7.) .40 size engine .40 LA, .40 FX all work great
8.) for fuel id go with the 15% cool power, ive had great luck with it, it doesnt leave gunk and stuff on your engine

Most glow trainers require 4 standard servos.

There are alot of other miscellous items as well but those are the main ones i can think of atm..sure im missing a few

Good luck !!
soarus_1999 is offline Find More Posts by soarus_1999
Old Aug 25, 2006, 03:27 PM
Just add water!
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Joined Aug 2005
468 Posts
They should make the Slow stick in an RTF version. They'd sell a LOT of those!

Tom
Tommyr is offline Find More Posts by Tommyr