HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:09 PM
Token Canadian Member
Whitby, Ontario. CANADA!!!
Joined Nov 2001
537 Posts
Discussion
New fast homebuilt - You can do it too if you miss your Projeti like I did !!!

This post is just an example to show that even those of us that don't really like building can produce some nice results with just a little motivation and good advice. Also starting from a proven airframe, and then making design and construction decisions to make the design your own and not just a copy.

Well, with the demise of the Projeti, I didn't know where to go next. I tried a Thunder Tiger Velocity and ended up giving it away after a few flights, so didn't have a convenient "high performance" plane with the same handling characteristics.

Soooooo, I decided to make my own and this is what I've come up with.

The Wing
The airfoil thickness on this model is just 8%, so it had to be built strong with CNC cut foam cores, sheeted with vacuum bagged 1/16" balsa. There is a fair bit of uni-carbon under the skins. The elevons are kevlar hinged (kevlar was installed under the balsa skins), and have a layer of carbon for stiffness.
The L/E and tips are solid balsa, and the wing halves are joined with uni-carbon to a center keel sorta like the Great Planes Slinger. This keel integrates the fin that supports the motor. The motor cradle is 1 layer of Kevlar, two layers of unicarbon with the fibers oriented to be perpendicular to the motor can. I made the cradle longer to make room for the next motor (Aveox 27/26/1 and Phoenix 80). Span is a little more than a ProJeti, and area is up too.
With the normal gorilla grip methods the wing has proven to be very stiff in both the bending and twisting tests. Even the alevons are very stiff.

The Fuselage
The fuse was carved from pink foam to be King Cat-ish. I've always loved the slick-ness of this fuse, so decided I'd do something similar. The battery tray is epoxied right to the uni-carbon that joins the wings. The fuselage carries no weight, it's just there for aerodynamics and dashing good looks.

Power System
Mega 16/15/3
CC Phoenix 25
8xIB1200
APC 4.75x4.75 carbon
Current - 23A (measured with an Astro Whattmeter)
Watts - 200W (measured with an Astro Whattmeter)
rpm - 26,000
Static Thrust - 31.4oz
Pitch Peed - 115mph

Airframe Specs
Wingspan - 35.5"
Wing Area - 297.31"2
AUW - 22.7oz
Wing Loading - 10.99oz/ft2

Power loading is a confidence inspiring 140W/lb.

Here are a few preliminary pics, the air inlet has not yet been cut in these pictures. I truly hope this plane will help motivate basement builders who haven't scratch built in a while but still know how. This plane, start to finish was done in under two weeks !!

I will be maidening this plane tomorrow, wish be luck.

Dan Kitching
Meneer is offline Find More Posts by Meneer
Last edited by Meneer; Sep 23, 2006 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Late night typos galore
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:26 AM
Token Canadian Member
Joined Nov 2001
537 Posts
Due to an injury sustained early this morning I won't be maidening this plane until next weekend
I've completed the air intake and will post a few more photos including the interior battery arrangement.

Dan
Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:11 PM
The Netherlands, DR, Emmen
Joined Aug 2002
1,087 Posts
Meneer,

Looking good!

Should be fast

Intend to share plans?

It seems to me the prop is the wrong way arround on this pic??

Success With the maiden.......

Cheers,

Appie
Appie is offline Find More Posts by Appie
Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:39 PM
Token Canadian Member
Joined Nov 2001
537 Posts
Hi Appie!

Thanks for thr kind words, I might actually get to maiden this afternoon.
I've double checked the prop and it is installed correctly.

As for plans, I'll share for sure. This plane is really more of a prototype to be honest, if it's successful I'm making molds for the wing and fuselage.

Dan
Old Aug 13, 2006, 05:49 PM
TGK
USA
Joined Jun 2004
431 Posts
Meneer,

Very nice plane! Good luck on the maiden.

Tim
TGK is offline Find More Posts by TGK
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:16 PM
toronto
Joined Nov 2001
21 Posts
smooth

Well it sure is smooth fast,and floats in the breeze,, it sure isn't a zagi he he. really well done dan, it's a keeper.
mike n lynch is offline Find More Posts by mike n lynch
Old Aug 15, 2006, 12:21 AM
Token Canadian Member
Joined Nov 2001
537 Posts
Yes, I did actually get to do the maiden, then 5 more flights after that. The model is fast, very smooth, and a piece of cake to land. It glides very, very well, and loafing around at 1/8 throttle the plane shows no nasty tendencies at all.

Mike (one post above) did my launches for me because of some damage I did to my right index finger, and he said it was just a light toss to get airborne

There was nobody else at the field with us so I wasn't able to get video, maybe next time.

I did do a few rolling circles and it's a dream to fly. I tested the wing a few times with some full elevator pull ups at full throttle and it took it just fine.

Dan (happy camper right now)
Old Aug 15, 2006, 03:53 AM
what wing man??
Nashville Tennessee
Joined Jul 2003
1,742 Posts
Very nice job Mener,,that looks great,,
hummingbird111 is offline Find More Posts by hummingbird111
Old Aug 15, 2006, 05:05 AM
Token Canadian Member
Joined Nov 2001
537 Posts
Thanks Hummingbird !

I'm very happy with this plane as it is. Now, time to work on the molds

I've added a foam piece right in front on the motor to help decrease drag, hope it helps.

Here are two more photos, one of the foam piece, one of the battery tray inside.

Dan
Old Sep 20, 2006, 09:34 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,893 Posts
Nice work!
Let me know if you ever get the molds. I would love to buy just the wing, and then form my own stabs, and cowl.

Anthony
antslake is offline Find More Posts by antslake
Old Sep 23, 2006, 11:48 AM
Token Canadian Member
Joined Nov 2001
537 Posts
Thanks Anthony, the prototype flies as well as I could have hoped. Very nice characteristics.

I've redesigned the fuselage to make that rear section a LOT more aerodynamic, but it's going to be a little while before the molds are ready. I'm also working on a pair of vacuum bagged 3 meter gliders and a Rutan/Amsoil Racer this winter, but you can expect stuff to be available by spring.

I'll be keeping this thread alive when the molding process continues.

Regards
Dan
Old Sep 23, 2006, 07:01 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,893 Posts
Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:35 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,893 Posts
What airfoil did you use?
What do you think your speeds are?
Old Sep 30, 2006, 02:01 AM
Token Canadian Member
Joined Nov 2001
537 Posts
The wing section is fully symmetrical. NACA008 at the root, transitioning to NACA009 at the tip. The prototype has 1 degree of washout, but I'm going to take that out.

I'm not sure how fast it is, but I estimate it's about 100mph. It's hard to tell without actually timing it or using radar.

Dan
Old Sep 30, 2006, 04:51 PM
How high will it go?
Greenwood Lake NY
Joined Oct 2003
2,893 Posts
If you take some video fo it flying within ten feet of you, we can do a doppler reading on it.

Also tell us the motor setup, prop and rpm's.