HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2006, 04:12 PM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Discussion
Guillow's JU-87B Stuka

I picked up the kit from a local hobby shop that is getting rid of their airplane kit inventory for 27.00, this thing has alot of potential, both in features and potential features, it's designed as a freeflight rubber powered as well as contains the instructions and hardware for control line "I don't do control line" and have an extra sub-micro receiver and plenty of mini servo's so am going to convert it to a 3 channel RC and will use my outrunner 450 and 3 cell 11.1 lipo. It has a 34" wingspan which is much larger then the usual Guillow's kits, I'd like to know if anybody that frequents these forums has converted something like this, and if so, any reccomendations would be helpful, it's always good to get advice, here is a photo of the box:

I'll likely not go for the scale details unless I get inspired to take it that far, and will use ultracoat for covering.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:00 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,380 Posts
I've been building Guillows models since I was a kid way back when. I did the Stuka back in the 1970's, single channel, .049 slimer. Flew well. Got real tired of repairing the landing gear after every landing.
You'll have to be really consious of weight throughout the build. Even with the fabulous gear we have today it will get heavy quick. And although it has a decent wingspan, there is still not alot of wing area. And the double taper wing is notorious for tip stalls so don't get low and slow when flying it. Not trying to discourage you but just want you to be aware of what's ahead.
A difficult build but doable all the same. Remember, think LIGHT!

J
J Morgan is offline Find More Posts by J Morgan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OV-10A Bronco from Palmer Plans
Old Aug 13, 2006, 05:48 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Thanks for the advice

So I guess I'll eliminate anything that doesn't need to be in this one and will not go for the scale appearance with the details. It also sounds like I shouldn't use the stock landing gear system and should pick up a very lightweight brushless motor instead of using my outrunner 450. It's going to be a fun build, I may document it here as it progresses.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:13 PM
ARF Hater Club
Toronto, Ontario
Joined May 2004
2,660 Posts
I did a few Guillow kits for static display a few years ago before RC and all I can remember is the die crushed wood in the kits. They are pretty hard to convert to RC but doable, it just takes more effort than your average kit. A while back someone converted a B-17 to RC with amazing results; I also remember seeing a very nice Stuka converted.
Edit: Did some searching for you...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247946 (This is amazing!)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262525 (Looks aren't everything!)
tommyeflight89 is offline Find More Posts by tommyeflight89
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:47 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Cool

After checking out those other threads, it's good to see how others are doing it, looks like I'll be filling in the gaps for the 3 channel version, I'll actually show where I placed the gear at this time for future builders. I'm digging the fact that this is a kit, all of the thinking has been done for you, you just gotta keep in mind, the plans are slightly smaller then the dies which is why people have problems with them, I'm just sticking with what was in the box, making minor revisions in order to accomodate the smaller plans and already started building, have the center section of the wing complete which allowed me to gauge what I gotta do to get the basic build addressed.

I guess I got lucky on the sharpness of the dies themselves, not seeing any damage to the balsa, just alot of gaps when I fit things together so looks like it's going to be all gap filler CA on this one and of course, you gotta use the exacto still to extract the pieces, but I'm not complaining, it's alot harder doing this stuff from scratch. I'm using magnets to hold stuff in place for the most part rather then pins to keep it all straight and level, it should improve accuracy. Overall, the other Guillow's kits I built were along the cheap end so am used to working with much more crude set up's and nature as well as smaller scale so this should be pretty easy to get completed in a short period of time, I'd never fly something, at least with my flying skills that took 5 months to assemble, and am also thinking, this is a kit, I can always buy more or just use the plans to build another from scratch so don't hold it in the context of a show model as much as just having fun with the build and the flights afterwards.

It looks like I'm set with the power system I presently have on hand, these guys were using 350 brushed set up's, so I was being overly conservative, especially since they had added so much more weight to the birds, my latest scratch build is a total tank and it takes 3/4 throttle to get it up in the air on the outrunner 450, it can handle a crash, but man, I'd like to have it be able to fly slower so I have time to react so will keep the "build light" in mind and not add anything outside of what is absolutely necessary for structural and hardware support.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:39 AM
Oxford, Alabama USA
Joined May 2001
642 Posts
Stuka Conversion

This plane has been converted multiple time - try searching for it on the scale forum. I did mine 2 years ago. I initially had a dual IPS motor, and later changed to a GWS 350c - flies as good as any GWS foamy, better than most. See pics below.
jimmyray is offline Find More Posts by jimmyray
Old Aug 14, 2006, 09:45 AM
Oxford, Alabama USA
Joined May 2001
642 Posts
video

video
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:07 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Sweet

Very good looking model, the cockpit detail is incredible, also looks like it made a nice flyer, thanks for showing where the servo's are at for the tail controls, is there any way I can get a shot of where you placed the reciever and battery? Also, where do the control lines exit the end of the fuse?
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:34 PM
Oxford, Alabama USA
Joined May 2001
642 Posts
RX I just ahead of the servos, immediatly above the rear wing saddle. The wires exit the fuse in the pic above - the uncovered pic of the tail without the vertical/horizontal surfaces installed.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:13 PM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,380 Posts
That's a very nice conversion JR. I'm impressed!

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 15, 2006, 04:33 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
making progress

Just wanted to let you guys see the progress, day 2, only spent a total of 4 hours total into this build:

I went for the hard core element on this one first ie. the wing, the black spot are the magnets, expect to see more of them, they serve several purposes.,
Last edited by saucerguy; Aug 15, 2006 at 06:09 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 04:43 PM
Oakland, CA
Joined Nov 2002
1,184 Posts
Hello:

Good luck on the stuka conversion. I did a 3 channel stuka back in the good ol' days of nicads and brushed motors as documented in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...stuka+hits+sky

It was a good flyer without ailerons and had an AUW of a not to svelt 16 oz. I gather from your pics that you are using the free flight dihedral and not the scale dihedral on the wings? If so you should be in good shape without ailerons. I do think you can add a fair bit of the plastic do dads to enhance the apperance... it is supposed to be a scale bird after all! I had good luck with bending the gear from thicker wire, using fatter electric foam tires (i.e. as sold by hobby lobby) and by using some balsa to widen the spats to accomodate the larger gear. Good advice about tip stalls. You should definatley add a fair bit of washout to those wings. Good luck on the project. I think your motor set up should be more than enough power for this bird. Keep posting pics and enjoy the process.

Alex
Rekitter is offline Find More Posts by Rekitter
Old Aug 17, 2006, 04:36 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Progress

I have a ton of sanding the leading edge to fit the fuse as well as a ton of sandiing everytihng and have more to get this retrofitted for RC use, will do something special with the dive breaks, just wanted to show a photo from day 4 on this project, I placed the components together, still a work in progress, took the control line build directly considering the obvious. I just have it resting together to let the viewer see what goes where, nothing is mounted so excuse the tilt to the left on the fuse, it's all perfelctly balanced well and is meant to be mounted rather then just set in place so looks a little off in the photo.

I'll be retrofitting this big time to handle rc use, keeping it light of course as well. Any input from you much respected Guillows builders would be very apprieciated, I do hold much respect for those that can handle building old timer kits like this above those kit builders that are putting together modern ones, it takes alot more to do a die cut, particularly one that is rather tired and needs a little help by the builder. In the past, I liked the ones that just printed plans onto the balsa itself, those cheap way of doing these I'm hoping makes a come back, they really push the builders skills and eliminates the need to have to build the components from scratch since you can adjust it on your own should the orignal print be off.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 07:36 AM
Now in TN!
Chapel Hill, TN USA
Joined Apr 2001
24,380 Posts
There's still alot of printed balsa kits out there. I think Penn Valley here in the US and Sams in UK carry several.

J
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2006, 05:31 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,026 Posts
Updates

Did not get to the wing/fuse today so it's still really off with the meld in the final photo, just wanted to show what's in place, needless to say, the controls are all working correctly, everything is just set in place for now, will spend time to mount it all next in order to get it to fit all together, still have to build the air breaks during the process, I'll mount the wing to he fuse next since all compontents are now accesable from the cockput, had to shove the pilots out the window mid flight to accomodate the gear, hope they land in a soft spot, hehe..
Last edited by saucerguy; Aug 19, 2006 at 06:03 AM.