HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2006, 08:41 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
PRomised Pics

OK here are the pics I hve been promising for a few days now. THe pics go back to when I first glassed the hull.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:51 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,795 Posts
Did you cover the hull with one large sheet of fiberglass?
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:14 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Did you cover the hull with one large sheet of fiberglass?
Pretty much, There were a few places that needed a scrap here and there to finish covering. I am going to coat the inside with resin to help seal it up. I didnt like the warping that I got.

Massey
Old Aug 22, 2006, 09:55 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,795 Posts
Massey, I am no expert on glassing, let alone very experienced. However, I have done a little bit and I thought you may have tried to cover in one piece and that is why you had some difficulties. I think on something that large it would have been much easier, to lay it down in overlapping sections. In my limited experience, the overlap completely disappears when the resin is brushed over the glass. I resin first, lay the glass on it, and resin again.

Try that on a piece of scrap, and see how you like it.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:09 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
I resin first, lay the glass on it, and resin again.
On a car or small repair that is exactly how I do it. On this one I tried a different method; I sprayed adheasive on the wood then stuck the cloth to it, followed by the resin. The resin disolved the spray adheasive quickly and allowed movement of the cloth once applied. It took a little longer for the resin to soak in but it did and turned out good. The overlaping sections are not visable at all and the hull is strong. I didnt have to fight with getting resin soaked glass in the right spot I did that when it was still dry .

The barge turned out good except for the inner pieces that warped once they got wet. Since the barge is supposed to be able to change into different types of barges I am going to just make a hopper insert, and have the inner hull sealed with resin or epoxy.

Massey
Old Sep 09, 2006, 11:28 AM
Keep her steady as she go
USA, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Sep 2006
107 Posts
Barge build

I am planing to build another barge for my tug,and aftre reading about yours I have the inspiration now. My first one was very similar to yours with the addition of a house and a boom crane. I epoxied mine inside and out for strength and water proofing. I put 45 lbs of lead in it for balast when i towed it,but it could hold 75 lbs. wich was just to much to load and unload. I will keep you posted on my build.
Captain Bill is offline Find More Posts by Captain Bill
Old Sep 09, 2006, 03:00 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,436 Posts
After today's problems with a VERY light wind I realize I need ALOT of ballast in mine as well. I am thinking about getting a few bricks to put in it, easy to carry easy to change pisition if needed and most importantly they are heavy. Wendy Massey had a hard time keeping the barge in the breeze we had today (I am also new at pushing my tow so it was also the captian's fault). a little more weight and the wind would not have been as big of a factor.

Massey