SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 13, 2006, 08:59 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
Another days work

I got a little more done today. The floor is in place, the floatation is in and the side walls are up. I went out running Kate around the lake today so I lost some time I could have been working on the barge. No biggy I have been having fun building it. After the walls inside the tub are installed I am going to put some coaming on the deck and then some deck fittings like bollards and cleats. Anything else that I should consider for a simple hopper barge? This will not always be a hopper barge I do plan on building other decks for it to become many other types of barges. Enjoy the pics and as always comments are welcome.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2006, 08:59 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
PS no glue incidents tonight (thankfully)

Massey
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:53 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,878 Posts
When it is loaded with coal I do not think the flotation will help you much.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:51 AM
3 Blades to the Wind
Atascadero, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
4,085 Posts
It would if you float one side more than the other. It would dump the coal (if it swamped) and then float. Not the environmentally nice thing to do... but it saves the barge!

I'd probably attempt this with sand or something similarly non-harming...
Shaun Hendricks is offline Find More Posts by Shaun Hendricks
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:20 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,423 Posts
One of the guys in the Seattle, Northwest RC Shipmodelers, used carved pink/blue insualtion foam to build up the "coal/gravel" load. Then covered the foam in "Lizard Litter" from the pet store. I think he used epoxy to cement the lizard litter in place.
Then the barge is ballasted with lead to bring it down to the heavy waterline.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:18 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
Umi that was what I was planning on doing for a coal load. I also model HO scale railroads so I know a few different methods to making a lightweight load for my barge that is environmentally safe . I am going to attempt to glass the outside of the hull tonight. Cross your fingers all I have not done fiberglass work since 2000 I may be a little rusty.

Massey
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:34 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Your barge is comeing along real nice, keep up the good work.
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Aug 14, 2006, 04:13 PM
Is he really fat??
Miami, FL
Joined Jun 2006
185 Posts
Are you going to give it a power system, or just have kate pulling it behind her?
t00fatt is offline Find More Posts by t00fatt
Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:08 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
t00fatt I built the barge pretty much to scale for a hopper barge. I didnt use a spacific scale but a ratio of 3:1. This would be something like a 120 x 40' foot barge is scale (dont know what scale off the top of my head and it is too late to figure it out right now). There will be no drive system in the barge but I plan on building a working crane to go on it and that will be radio controlled. I have 3 tugs now to pull it around and I just ordered a Vac-U-Tow to push it. I also have some towboat plans comming and I am going to try my hand at scratch building a towboat.

Progress report (sorry no pics yet):
I glassed the hull but it was not as pretty as I wanted. I sanded down some of the bas spots and put another coat of resin over the entire hull. Some areas were still showing the grain of the cloth so I defidently needed another coat. This coat should sand down nice and smooth I am going to start on that this weekend. I have on thursday so I wont have any chance to work on it till Friday evening. I am hoping to paint it this sunday at the latest. I have the Zee ready for her coat of black paint now too I will be posting updates on her too. Well good night all, see ya in a day or so

Massey
Old Aug 17, 2006, 03:33 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
One of the easiest, lightest, and most removable coal loads is using foam used in matress padding about 2" thick. Cut it a little larger than your hopper and spray paint it a semi-gloss black. When you put it in the hopper, tuck it in from the corners and let the middle buldge up. You'll be suprised how much it looks like a load of coal.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Aug 17, 2006, 08:12 PM
North Central TN USA
Joined May 2006
3,613 Posts
Massey, Beautiful build but you've got something wrong. When things go bad you put the alcohol down your throat, then when the warm feeling starts pull off the glued hair and it isn't half bad. If it still hurts apply more pain remover.
420TEE is offline Find More Posts by 420TEE
Old Aug 18, 2006, 03:26 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
420Tee, for alot of people the alcohol works better after it has been ingested. I on the other hand (or was it this hand... hmmm dunno) have never been and will never be drunk. Ironic thing is I am a sailor.

Massey

P.S. now that I am off duty I should be able to get the barge about done this weekend I will keep ya all posted.
Old Aug 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
Update!!

Not alot has happened here on the barge other than I sanded the hull fairly smooth (left it a little rough to keep the dented metal look) I filled the few spots that had pinholes into the wood and painted it all black. I have not had the time to make any bollards for it so I am using 2 eyelets on the bow for some sea trials. If this turns out good then the deck is going to get a coat of grey and I will put a white stripe for the waterline. I am going to try to get some pics of it in the water today. I will let you all know what happens in a few hours.

Massey
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:08 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Massey, barges seldom if ever have waterline stripes, however they do have safety stripes around the edge of the deck and usually have draft marks at all four corners.

Draft mark numbers are 6" high spaced 6" apart with the bottom of the number marking the foot draft which makes the top of the number marking the foot and 6" draft. Just a little tidbit to pass along.
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Aug 20, 2006, 02:47 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,604 Posts
Thanks Joe,

I am used to seeing a white stripe on the barges that the Navy owns. Some have black below the white stripe and grey above.

I didnt have as good of trials as I was hoping. First it was windy. No biggy the barge just got pushed around a little making it a little more of a challange to tow around. A small amount of water made it into the hopper but no biggy again. I put my Kate Massey in the barge for some ballast and that helped it not get blown around. but I did find that after a few minutes on the water the bow started getting a little lower in the water. I bought it back into shore and found the hull was quite full of water. This water came in from the top not soaked in through the outer hull. I did not provide any means of draining water out of the double skin I thought I sealed it up so I would not have to worry about that. (I was WAY off on that one) After a few minutes upside down I got alot of the water out of it but there was enough inside to warp every piece of wood inside the hopper. Thankfully none of the outer hull warped. I have gutted most of the inner hull and will not be restoring that portion of the barge, at least not like I did the first time. I am going to resin the inside now that I have the inner part out. For the inner structure I dont know if I am going to restore it with plastic or leave it out all together I will figure that out later right now I have some repairs to do.

Pics will come a little later tonight

Massey