HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 12, 2006, 03:54 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,599 Posts
Build Log
Barge build

Well I got kinda bored running Kate Massey around the lake with nothing behind her (unless she was retrieving my hydro) so I decided to build a barge. The dimentions are 36" x 12" x 4" made out of Bass and Balsa woods. Here is what I have done so far.

Massey
Massey is offline Find More Posts by Massey
Last edited by Massey; Aug 12, 2006 at 09:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:41 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Looking good Massey
towboatjoe is offline Find More Posts by towboatjoe
Old Aug 12, 2006, 09:47 PM
Dragon Slayer
Shelton,WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
dito!! Massey
ropanach is offline Find More Posts by ropanach
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:08 PM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,599 Posts
Fun with CA

Wow I didnt know that building a barge would be such an adventure. Everyting pretty much has gone together smooth. This is all freestyle there are no plans I am making it up as I go. All has been good the hull was slightly out of square so I put it square and now it has a slight twist in it. It is only about 1/8 of an inch over 36" of hull. I dont think that it will be too bad on the water. The fun part and the adventure came in when I started putting the bow sheeting on. The first 2 braces are easy they are flat and there is no curve to the hull at that point. I glue and hold up the hull till I hit the very front of the bow and that part does not want to stay put (I expected this). Glue in place, holding the barge up and pushing down on the bow I think the glue is dry enough to hold and.... YES!!! cool I can put this aside and wipe up the little CA that got on my table. as I am wiping up the table I feel something warm on my leg, I look down and see the not so dry CA (with accelerator) dripping from the seam to my leg. I grab the barge and get it all over my hands too I had a spot on my leg about 6 inches round with CA and 4 fingers that I was keeping apart. I got the alcohol out to get the stuff off but now I have a patch of hair missing from my leg. OK nuff of the CA horrors.

Things are looking good. I am going to put floatation in the sides and then give it a floor and walls inside. I will be making modules for it so this barge can become different types of barges. I think I am going to try for a crane barge first. I hope to make the crane operate. Do any of you know of a crane kit that can be motorized for rotation, winches and boom height? I am also thinking of making a dredging barge with a hydraulic shovel and mud storage in the front. Well last but not least here are the last pics for tonight.

Massey
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,605 Posts
That is so cool! Nice job! I want to build one just like it!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:05 PM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Don't know about any kits, but I got on a crane flat and took measurements of an old Baldwin-Hamilton-Lima crawler crane and several photos. It shouldn't be too hard to scratch build.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:53 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
That is so cool! Nice job! I want to build one just like it!

Massey,

I agree, only I want you to build ME one just like that...
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:19 AM
Newburgh New York
Joined May 2005
823 Posts
find some barges here.

http://oldriverbillzumwalt.members.ktis.net/
wingnut163 is offline Find More Posts by wingnut163
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:00 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Could put a modern pedestal crane on there as well.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:13 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
Here are some more example of crane flats. You can also use a cherry picker on the barge.
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:26 AM
victoria, bc
Joined Oct 2003
773 Posts
Nice Work!
I think that if I shifted building to the kitchen table I'd end up being the object glued to the barge - and not from just having the glue run over me!
mike_victoriaBC is offline Find More Posts by mike_victoriaBC
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:49 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,599 Posts
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_victoriaBC
Nice Work!
I think that if I shifted building to the kitchen table I'd end up being the object glued to the barge - and not from just having the glue run over me!

LOL I almost was!!! when I went to move the barge I put my hand right in the glue that was dripping out and onto my leg. I quickly moved my hands off the barge before I got stuck to it

Thanks everyone for the compliments and also the pictures of cranes and stuff I will be putting those pics to good use here in the near future.

Massey

P.S. Towboat Joe I sent you an E-mail, and I see that you have already found the build log I mentioned in the E-mail
Old Aug 13, 2006, 09:51 AM
McAlester
Joined Nov 2004
1,370 Posts
Massey,
You didn't say anything about the burning sensation of the CA+leg! Did about the same thing on the front porch one time. Scared the neighbor's dogs (they like to watch, you know). Heard several loud 'thumps'. Later found out it was a couple of the neighbor's wives hitting the floor. Guess they'd never seen anyone do that on their front porch before. After explaining the circumstances to a couple of irrate husbands (and offering to demonstrate, on THEM), everything is okay again. I do have a reputation to up hold...
- 'Doc
LtDoc is offline Find More Posts by LtDoc
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:39 AM
Drydock Captian
Spanaway, WA
Joined Jul 2006
1,599 Posts
Burning.. no it was just a little warm. I had shorts on so I didnt get my pants stuck to my leg. (thankfully cause I have no paint thinner or anything strong like that that would take the CA right off). I still have some of my hairs being pulled by the CA that I could not get off with alcohol :P

Anyway I have part of the floor in now but I need some more wood for the sides and I have to get some for a thin strip down the middle of the floor. I should have a barge by the end of the day tho. I will post pics as I get them.

Massey
Old Aug 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
River Rat
Flatwoods, KY
Joined Feb 2006
792 Posts
In a little cup just off to my right, I always keep within reach a tube of DURO Super Glue Remover. never know when an emergency will happen.

With all that nice wood I would use Titebond waterproof wood glue. It sets up pretty fast and once cured you'll break the wood before the glue would let go.