HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 04, 2001, 09:21 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,399 Posts
When does PLUS=PLUS on a non-Planetary Gearbox?

Answer: When it's an Astro Flight geared motor.

Argh! Just when I thought I had this electric stuff figured out, my AF625G (which came with no instructions) actually wants the ESC plus output tied to the motor plus.

Apparently, Astro Flight reverses the terminal labels for you on their geared Cobalt motors. The gearbox is a single direction change so it fooled me.

"Astro Bob" says that no break-in is needed. Is there any other advice that you experience Sport Cobalt flyers would like to share?

Thanks...
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2001, 09:27 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Covey:

"Astro Bob" says that no break-in is needed. Is there any other advice that you experience Sport Cobalt flyers would like to share?

Thanks...
Go fly, have fun. Stop grinning like a droolin' fool every time you take off.

Dereck

Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Jun 04, 2001, 10:52 PM
Folsom,Ca,USA
Joined Apr 2001
992 Posts
Astro Bob is right, as usual. After all he designed them and builds them.

When I worked at a LHS, a customer bought a cobalt, I warned him about the " no break in"
and got an argument but did get him to take Astros phone # They get REAL hot if you try the usual breakin.

He called AF to complain about a "defective" motor and apparantly got a real lecture from Bob as he came back the next day with his tail between his legs to apologize.

I have 3 cobalts, all 4 -5 yrs old, just prop them correctly for the recommended current and enjoy.

Dave
DaveW is offline Find More Posts by DaveW
Old Jun 05, 2001, 01:45 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Aug 2000
525 Posts
If you READ the instructions that come with them, the motors are pre-timed and broken in... The only reason I ran mine on the bench (with a prop) was to see how much stuff my astro-15G would blow around in my garage... Who needs a barely used leaf blower???
Spam is offline Find More Posts by Spam
Old Jun 05, 2001, 10:14 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,399 Posts
Spam,

As I stated in my first post, mine came without instructions. A nice box with custom foam...but no instructions.
Greg Covey is online now Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar