HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2006, 02:20 PM
life = eat, sleep, fly!
camarillo, CA
Joined Oct 2005
211 Posts
Discussion
not so hand launch but plane launch

me and one of my friends have been towing a little glider with GWS slow sticks and we came up with a insane idea for a glider that is launched from the under side of the plane. heres the cool thing, we want the wings to fold back to the tail of the glider. then when the glider is droped from the slow stick it will fall nose first then i'll unfold the wings with a servo and they will move to the forward position. to make to wings fit in the folded position it would be best to have a flat airfoil ( like a foamy 3D's wings). my ? is can you have a flat wing on a glider and still make lift? if not which wing airfoil would be best.

thanks

tyler
astroboy403 is offline Find More Posts by astroboy403
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:18 AM
Joined Aug 2005
35 Posts
I am not the smartest person but i don't think flat wings are going to make lift.
LANDING!!! is offline Find More Posts by LANDING!!!
Old Aug 12, 2006, 01:11 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
technically they will make lift yes, but it will not be efficent. obviously if it made no lift it will fall to the earth like a brick, but it wont make as much as say an AG foil. i dont think it'll work or if it does work well. imagine the mechanics needed, extra weight, and all that with a flat foil im guessing made of depron will be heavy, weak, and not very fun. cool idea though, with sometweaking im guessing it could work, just not with the basis you ahve. just out of curiousity, by any chance are you an engineer?
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:31 AM
life = eat, sleep, fly!
camarillo, CA
Joined Oct 2005
211 Posts
ya were not going to do it any more, but thanks for the replys. and your curiousuty about me being an engineer, well not yet. im 17 and i'd like to get my engineering degree in planes after high school. but for now i just play around making things like this even though i might not make it. i dont know i'll make. i think i'll try. i'll post pics.

Tyler S.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:06 AM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinazn10
technically they will make lift yes, but it will not be efficent. obviously if it made no lift it will fall to the earth like a brick, but it wont make as much as say an AG foil. i dont think it'll work or if it does work well. imagine the mechanics needed, extra weight, and all that with a flat foil im guessing made of depron will be heavy, weak, and not very fun. cool idea though, with sometweaking im guessing it could work, just not with the basis you ahve. just out of curiousity, by any chance are you an engineer?
No lift. it's the drag that keeps it from falling to earth like a brick.
screamin' eagle is online now Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Aug 12, 2006, 11:19 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Go for it Tyler!!!
Here's some test on flat-plate wings.
http://www.luminet.net/~bkuhl/airfoiltesting.htm
Good luck!
John
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Old Aug 12, 2006, 05:51 PM
life = eat, sleep, fly!
camarillo, CA
Joined Oct 2005
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
Go for it Tyler!!!
Here's some test on flat-plate wings.
http://www.luminet.net/~bkuhl/airfoiltesting.htm
Good luck!
John
i'll go for it john225. i'll work on it tonight. thanks john225 (i dont think my parents will like it )

Tyler S.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:09 AM
life = eat, sleep, fly!
camarillo, CA
Joined Oct 2005
211 Posts
well here are some pics of the switch wing. i still need to make a system to lock the wings in the back position and then to move them forward and keep them there too. i'll make someting in the next couple of days.

Tyler S.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:59 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Oct 2003
2,720 Posts
hows the wing going to be activated?
flyinazn10 is offline Find More Posts by flyinazn10
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:04 AM
LSFIII working on LVL IV
USA, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Dec 2003
598 Posts
Suggestion: To get the wings into position or open position, use rubberbands to force them to open. Tie them to the leading edge and to the nose or forward fuse. If I understood correctly, it is going to be dropped from undernith the stick? right? well, make a long pin the will go through the fuse and wing when forced backawards or close position. Attach to servo in the bottom of plane and attach teh pin. Of cousre some will say, its much more complicated than that but this is jsut a slight idea that can get you going. The same servo could be used for releasing the glider and letting the wings pop open.

Good luck
Enrico
enrico74ec is online now Find More Posts by enrico74ec
Old Aug 14, 2006, 10:47 AM
life = eat, sleep, fly!
camarillo, CA
Joined Oct 2005
211 Posts
to make the wings move forward im going to use a rubberband. and also to keep the wings in the back position i want to use a pin ( duh! ). now i dont want to use another servo just to take the pin out. i'll use one of the ele servos. when i give full up the pin will move out of the wings. it wont be that hard to do. i have a pic in my head .

Tyler S.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:42 PM
aspirin addict
france
Joined May 2006
32 Posts
i think i would be better to release wings with a bit down elevator(i.e 30%), like this you will avoid stalling.
prehaps you could give an quite thin airfoil and a better wing planform.
i think you could launch it like a polynesian arrow.

tommy
ntommyn is offline Find More Posts by ntommyn
Old Aug 14, 2006, 07:29 PM
life = eat, sleep, fly!
camarillo, CA
Joined Oct 2005
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntommyn
i think i would be better to release wings with a bit down elevator(i.e 30%), like this you will avoid stalling.
prehaps you could give an quite thin airfoil and a better wing planform.
i think you could launch it like a polynesian arrow.

tommy
the only thing about giving down to move the wings is i want the plane to fall to earth like a bomb . we want to see how low we can let it fall then move the wings and hope its doesnt hit the ground . so giving down would be BAD. but thanks for the idea.

Tyler S.