SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 10, 2006, 07:18 PM
Can glue better than fly!
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Joined Aug 2005
293 Posts
Discussion
Hammerhead foamy.

I started this in the "other" forum about doing a shark but had nothing to show yet, but now this may be my entry into the one contest.
But now how to get it to fly??

Chris
Spitfireski is offline Find More Posts by Spitfireski
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2006, 07:27 PM
Suspended Account
Greenview,IL
Joined Feb 2006
1,247 Posts
SpitFire what are the dim.? And what you planning on using for power? Looks pretty interesting gonna have to try it ,My list grows larger yet again!
WB
Water Boy is offline Find More Posts by Water Boy
Old Aug 10, 2006, 07:29 PM
Guerilla Flyer
Joined Nov 2005
176 Posts
Nice work! Did you work from photos, draw the thing freehand or...

As for getting it to fly, the contest just requires that it fly - not that it flies real well. lol!
I'll bet, though, that finding CG is going to be very interesting.
Dennis P is offline Find More Posts by Dennis P
Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:48 PM
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Joined Aug 2005
293 Posts
The one i'm working with is about 41in. from tip of nose to upper tip of tail. All pieces fit on 1 sheet of blu with quite a big piece left over if you can believe it.
I had a couple of pics for insp. and just freehand drew the shapes by using the folded paper method for symetry then blew it up onto the foam.
As for gear right now I have a fiegao motor w/small dd prop, CC-10, 550mah 3s tanic pack, and some 5g servos. Gonna keep it as light as i can with probably everything squeezed in the nose somewhere. Should be fairly challenging to get this to fly decently let alone have some sort of swimming motion which is why for mine the tail has to be a rudder. As for other controls maybe just mixing the the pec.fins i can hope!

Chris
Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:58 PM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Joined Jun 2004
4,402 Posts
If your psop size is small enough.......I'd go for a " mid fuse motor mount" keeps the nose clean looking and also the tail.......and at that length it will make it much easier to balance.........but your lacking wing area.......Right now it looks like the motor would best be placed between the head and the side fins........but I think a canard design will be a good start (head area for elevator)........wow this is very interesting.......anyone else got some ideas to help him out..........this is making my brain hurt........

JAM
Jason
JAM is offline Find More Posts by JAM
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:13 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
I would put canards on the hammer part and ailerons of the pectoral fins. CG would be way far forward right at the leading edge of the pectoral fins (where they meet the body). Tractor motor on the LE of the hammerhead and all the gear up there too. Treat it like conventional canard or tandem wing with a lot of stuff dragging behind. If you move the CG too far back the dorsal fin area will make it go very nasty.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Aug 11, 2006, 07:50 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,126 Posts
This calls for test gliding over tall grass with a lump of clay in the nose ...... IF light enough this should fly OK... and of course given enough power....and you could cheat the fins a bit larger ..???
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:08 AM
Electric Jet Driver
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Oct 2003
766 Posts
It looks cool already. I agree on trying the canard setup.
Trbdsl96 is offline Find More Posts by Trbdsl96
Old Aug 11, 2006, 09:48 AM
Joined Apr 2006
923 Posts
It looks awesome, but it will be hard to balance. Motor on the nose for sure. I think it would look a little more natural and also be easier to fly if you made the hammer area a bit smaller. It would also help the flying a lot to exagerate the size of the pectoral fins and shift them back a bit. One thing that would look really whacked out is to mount some eyes on the ends of the hammer. Those eyes are one of the spookiest things about the real animal.

As is, the incidence of all three planes (hammer, pec fins and rear horizontal fins) all look the same. I think you will need some decalage to make it stable.

Good luck, that is a great idea!
Barry2 is offline Find More Posts by Barry2
Old Aug 11, 2006, 05:36 PM
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Joined Aug 2005
293 Posts
Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming!

Here's my question for the moment, i'm wondering if I can separate the canards and mix them for pitch and roll instead of ails on pec fins, which would also allow me to put the servos way forward easily. Can this be done?

Chris
Old Aug 11, 2006, 05:57 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Yes, but it's a little trickier (only a little)
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Aug 15, 2006, 07:35 PM
Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Joined Aug 2005
293 Posts
Prelimenary glide tests are giving a CG up front of pec fin. Looks kinda neat in the air!

Chris
Old Aug 16, 2006, 01:55 PM
Joined Jun 2006
296 Posts
it will fly..i think,very intresting ya did a good job
Foamaster :) is offline Find More Posts by Foamaster :)
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:54 PM
Glider guider
United States, FL, Sun City Center
Joined Oct 2005
359 Posts
Great idea Chris. Please keep us posted. I'd like to try one if it turns out to be feasable.
Speedo125 is offline Find More Posts by Speedo125
Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:43 AM
damn you tree!
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2005
231 Posts
how about EDF?

it looks like a natural for a mid mounted EDF unit. I have some of those feigaos in EDF50 housings - they crank!

I hate breaking props while testing new designs....

I love the idea!

Keep us posted of your results!!
roballoba is offline Find More Posts by roballoba