HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2002, 01:02 PM
Reston, VA
Joined Feb 2002
1,013 Posts
Night Flights With Glo Wire

Now that the days are getting shorter I've been thinking of outfiting a few planes for night flight.

I've been looking into the LEDs, but I was also looking at Glo Wire as well. Looks like they are ready for models...they have BEC connectors. Very cool.

Anybody use this stuff. Perhaps you can post pics. I'm most interested in visability and duration.

Thx.

http://www.glowire.com/Merchant2/mer...tegory_Code=RM
HavingFun2002 is offline Find More Posts by HavingFun2002
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2002, 02:55 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I read a report from someone using these on his Tiger Moth. He said they were too heavy though. His thread is here:

GloMoth

I'm using a parkflyer light kit on my Tiger Moth, it consists of 3 LED lights- one red, one blue and one white. It works quite well. I posted a report some time ago with some photos here:

How late did YOU fly tonight?

I fly my setup right off my back porch at night. Visibility is excellent up to altitudes as high as I dare fly in daylight. The extra weight is insignificant. I'm flying my TM on a stock DX-A and it performs as good as ever. The lights do affect run time, my flights on li-ons are 40 minutes in daylight, 35 minutes at night with the lights on. I can live with that!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Last edited by Tres Wright; Aug 07, 2002 at 02:59 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2002, 06:59 PM
Kingsport Tn.
Joined Nov 2001
535 Posts
I'm the guy that did the GloMoth. The driver plus two 3-foot sections of wire only weighed 48 grams. I think the way I had the wires mounted also contributed a lot of drag. It flew ok (with an M-100), but after a couple of weeks I just felt like the wires weren't worth the performance hit. Also, like LED's, they don't show up well until it gets pretty dark. In total darkness though, they show off well... and look really trippy. It stopped several cars .

John
Aspen is offline Find More Posts by Aspen
Old Sep 21, 2007, 05:47 AM
RIP "Long Shadow Flyer"
Upstate New York-- Rochester, NY USA
Joined Oct 2001
732 Posts
I recently purchased the park flyer kit from Glowire and am really happy with it. taped the glowire to the wings of my homemade 38"ws cub. I like the fact the power driver works directly from the li-po battery. My plane flys fine with the added weight, and is real easy to see at night, having a blast with a bunch of guys flying after dark...
http://www.glowire.com/rcairplanes.htm

Carl
crvogt is offline Find More Posts by crvogt