Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 21, 2001, 06:16 PM
United States, GA, Maysville
Joined Oct 1999
235 Posts
R/C Guillow's B-24

Hi folks,

Does anyone have any experience with very small geared electric motors intended for free-flight models? Ideally I would like to turn props no larger than 5" in diameter.

I'm considering building the Guillow's B-24 for R/C. I already have the kit, and, much to my pleasant surprise, it came with very nice light wood.

My general thinking is to go for the bare minimum weight, using stick & tissue type construction and eliminating the landing gear. As I understand it, some of the smaller units from HiLine are intended for models of about 50 square inches and operate on 2 cells. If that's the case, four of them should be about right. Wired together in series four of them should work well with a typical 8-cell slow-flyer pack. But I have no direct experience with this type of motor, with the exception of the little direct drive unit sold by Kenway which powered a peanut scale FF with excellent results.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Gene
Flyer103 is offline Find More Posts by Flyer103
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: motor gearboxes
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2001, 04:01 PM
Joined Oct 1999
235 Posts
Ralph,
Thanks for all the great info! Question: What is the diameter of the Gunther prop you're using? I need to be at or below a 5" diameter or the blades may not clear. The B-24 is 1/28th scale!
Thanks again 8-)
Gene
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2001, 04:05 PM
Joined Oct 1999
235 Posts
Ralph,
One more question please: Have you tested your setup on 4 cells? The reason I ask is that my ultra teeny tiny ESC is rated for 8 cells max. I'm wondering if it would be possible to run a combined parallel/seriers arrangement (two parallel motor sets in series)
Thanks
Gene
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2001, 03:35 PM
Concord, CA, USA
Joined Dec 2000
328 Posts
The Gunther prop is 125mm x 110mm or about 4.9" x4.3"

I think the total wing area is around 220 sq inch. I hope to do a Guillows B-17 some day.

Chuck Hill
ChuckHHill is offline Find More Posts by ChuckHHill
Old Jun 01, 2001, 04:38 PM
Joined Oct 1999
235 Posts
Ralph,
Sounds good. The only thing that concerns me is that I have never built a gearbox from scratch. Do you have any diagrams per chance to get me started?
Thanks
Gene
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 04, 2001, 08:29 AM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,704 Posts
There might be a lazier approach- try the HY-50F motors which come with a gearbox and are set up with a 5" prop. Dead nuts easy to install- drill one hole and you're done. They sell for about $20 apiece at Cloud 9 R/C. The motors work on up to 6 cells NiMH, and probably draw about an amp or less. I've been using one in a Skylark on a 6 cell, 140 mAH NiMH pack and I like it- I bought more. I've been contemplating an F7F twin.... I don't recommend the HiLine stuff for this purpose - those motors were intended for FF and go for high amp draws at low voltages.

P.S. 8 ounces is a pretty agressive target for this size airplane. Careful on your wing /fuse attachment- you've got long wings out there.

Sam Brauer
Norwalk, CT
Megowcoupe is offline Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Oct 26, 2007, 08:05 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Gene! Tell us please you success story.
Thank you,
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat