HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2006, 07:56 PM
Lazy Builder
Joined Jul 2005
183 Posts
Discussion
"Skunkworks Project" formerly: Another Stratch Build Competition!

Alright, here's the deal
1. New, unproven designs
2. No size limit
3. Powered Flight
4. Pics and Vids would be cool (because whats the point of a thread if we don't have those things?)
5. Built and flying by Christmas?

Alright, have fun guys, l want to see some cool stuff
The_Red_Baron is offline Find More Posts by The_Red_Baron
Last edited by The_Red_Baron; Aug 11, 2006 at 05:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2006, 07:58 PM
Krued Up
United States, MA, Springfield
Joined Jul 2004
4,528 Posts
Prize?
snolord1 is offline Find More Posts by snolord1
Old Aug 09, 2006, 08:03 PM
Lazy Builder
Joined Jul 2005
183 Posts
Hehe, how about a... a chance to play in the stratch foamie all star game along with my respect?
Old Aug 09, 2006, 08:12 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
907 Posts
I'm in. I might actually do something this time instead of just design something.

Matt
MattZC is offline Find More Posts by MattZC
Old Aug 09, 2006, 08:47 PM
Lazy Builder
Joined Jul 2005
183 Posts
nice, this is what I want to build...
Old Aug 09, 2006, 09:28 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Red_Baron
naturally the person that wants to run the competition cannot compete in the competition too.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Aug 09, 2006, 09:35 PM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Why don't we just have a polled vote on it who wins at the end that way the Red Baron can be in the competition? Hehe, I do think that if he gets that plane flying well though it will be hard to beat in the "beautiful and fast" looking category.

Salter
Salter is offline Find More Posts by Salter
Old Aug 09, 2006, 09:49 PM
Lazy Builder
Joined Jul 2005
183 Posts
I agree with Salter, once we get all the entries in, we will start another thread with a poll on the best plane, that way it will be more fair with a larger voting base,... and **cough** cough** I could enter the contest.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:15 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Maybe there should be a Best Missile category so the Red Barons entry can be legit

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old Aug 10, 2006, 02:09 AM
Powered by laimness.
In a Bush near Toosh!
Joined Jun 2005
152 Posts
Looks like a wickedly fast plane Barron. You should deff
give it a whack. Doubt Ill be in the compitition but Ill keep
an eye on the thread. Good luck peeps~
Riot-Pilot~ is offline Find More Posts by Riot-Pilot~
Old Aug 10, 2006, 03:27 AM
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,027 Posts
Ground Rules

I guess we should formalize the competition, give a real reward for winning, let us post a vote as to who has the coolest, catagorize it so we have more then one 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winner, give these guys real incentive to get involved, a plaque is nice, but I'm thinking of fiscal incentive and/or the chance to reproduce their craft or have done by others for profit, "you see where I'm going with this".

I like the original posts, they hint at what I'm saying here, the last one, there were only 16 participants, that's insane considering they are just giving out their ideas and designs for nothing, I'm sure someone else is benifiting from their efforts regardless, the shark was a very good call, not in the cool factor, but in the engineering, I already thought about his rudder system quite a while ago, don't think for 2 seconds I went well beyond that in my mind, I wouldn't have posted that innovation online until I had exclusive ownership of that aspect, the rest of the plane was not really worth mentioning and the second place winner, even though very cool, didn't grab my attention as much as the cool factor with some of the others, so I gotta contest the results.

Along voting, we still need one guy to hold the tally accountable, perhaps we should set up an initial registration set up in a more formal setting, then a panel of judges we all can agree have integrity or something as well. At that point, this really should be a private thread due to the sensitive nature, the data will leak out, but at least it's not going to be beligerant.

As for participating, I compete with myself and look towards what has been tried and failed as well as succeded, there is a reason for the try as well as the failure and in some cases, the tolerances were not as exact, or the thinking in engineering needed a little revamping, yet were dropped, deemed as failures, I'm seeing more valid ideas overlooked from the days of old that now can really work. If I enter this competition, I gotta see something more tangable and secure prior to doing so "don't give away your killer ideas that should be patented people" what I have on the agenda is just insane in regards to new aircraft design including the vtol range. Construction techniques naturally follow suite in the same manner.
saucerguy is offline Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:34 AM
Lazy Builder
Joined Jul 2005
183 Posts
Well, the thing is, I don't have anything I want to give for incentive, if you do please pipe in. I think this is why RC groups is great, the free exchange of ideas. I also have a ground breaking idea I'm going to put to use in this contest, but I have no interest in patenting it, I'm not even sure if it will work, all I know is that its going to be fast and manuverable, very manuverable. But of course, if people want the contest to be as formal as saucerguy wants it, who am I do stop it. I'm not a computer wiss by any means, so saucerguy, you might have to set up some of the polls and the voting system. You guys should get started soon though, more time to iron out bugs.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 01:05 PM
I just love flying
Traverse City ,MI
Joined Dec 2005
907 Posts
i have a idea, everyone that participates would chip in 10 dollors each. last contest: 16 participated= $160 would go to the winner or 100 to first place and 60 to second place. ect. ect.

just an idea.

Matt
MattZC is offline Find More Posts by MattZC
Old Aug 10, 2006, 03:24 PM
Fishers, IN
Joined Jun 2005
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Red_Baron
So have you decided how you're going to approach this project? Its definately pretty cool! Did you design it? Has it been tested?
Sebastien1 is offline Find More Posts by Sebastien1
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:28 PM
Lazy Builder
Joined Jul 2005
183 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys. Well, I think I'm going with the depron/pink foam construction. I guess, I designed it but this other guy put it in 3d for me, we might have to be in the contest together. I make a little 12" balsa model of it, it glides pretty well, but you can tell even at that size its going to have to fly fast. I'm hoping to throw thrust vectoring and something else I can't disclose at this time, into the mix.