HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2006, 05:09 PM
rel
Joined Aug 2006
4 Posts
Discussion
Easy Star vs Super Cub

I live in the Sagamore Hills area and was at the Sagamore Park last Sunday watching the club fly. I was very impressed at the flying skill of the members and how quite the planes were. I am very interested in getting back into the world of RC. I talked to some of the members on Sunday, I am VERY bad with names, and was told the Easy Star is a good first plane. I looked on RC Groups and many people agree that is a good first plane. I called various hobby shops in the area and no one has the Easy Star in stock. All of the shops said that the Hobby Zone Super Cub is as good or better than the Easy Star. Does anyone have a HZ Super Cub the could tell me how it flies? I do not want to buy a "brick" for my first plane. The pusher prop on the Easy Star is appealing to me because a nose in crash will not break the prop or bend the motor shaft. Any help would be GREATLY apprecieated. Hope to see you soon at the field but flying instead of watching.

Thanks
Roger L
rel is offline Find More Posts by rel
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2006, 06:05 PM
the new kid on the block!
shaker heights!
Joined Aug 2006
223 Posts
hi im also new to the hobby about 1 year and i have a GWS Slow Stick which i would suggest because it is very forgiving and easy to repair! i have flown it about 10 times and broken it every time!!!!!!! it happens! so i would say buy the 6 prop pack from Tower Hobbies for like 5-10 bucks and keep those with you! back to the plane i like it ALOT and i think you might too and im already ok with it(not crashing soo much) but i still have a while!!

-Kevin Benton

PS-The other planes though might also be a good match!!! so you might want to shop around a little!!
kevin09 is offline Find More Posts by kevin09
Old Aug 09, 2006, 06:32 PM
Lazy dog
Lakewood, Ohio
Joined May 2005
2,409 Posts
My vote is for the ES. Great first plane for all the reasons you mentioned. I'm still flying mine and it was my first plane. Go mail order for it if you can't find it locally or ask them to get you one.
OhioPete is offline Find More Posts by OhioPete
Old Aug 09, 2006, 08:11 PM
Mayor of Simpleton
Cleveland, OH, USA
Joined Oct 2002
2,193 Posts
Hi Roger,

If you really like RC in the past and if you seem really stoked about it now, thinking that you'll stay with it. Go with the Easy Star or for a slower plane, the Slow Stick.

I'm intrigued with the Super Cub and the Anti-Crash stuff and all, but I have not seen it fly. I don't know how re-usable the gear is also. Re-usable gear is a plus with the ES and SS. You might want to try a RC Groups Search on the Super Cub......

Tommy
Tommy632 is offline Find More Posts by Tommy632
Old Aug 09, 2006, 09:23 PM
Maz
Mig Killer
Broadview Heights, Oh, USA
Joined Mar 2004
882 Posts
I agree. Go with the Easy Star. That epp foam can really take a lickin.
Maz is offline Find More Posts by Maz
Old Aug 10, 2006, 05:00 AM
Something Clever
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2005
895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rel
I was very impressed at the flying skill of the members
Are you sure you were at Sagamore?

I would go with the EasyStar. I still have mine and I'm thinking about making it an AP platform. Here is a link to pretty much what I used in my EasyStar minus the radio....

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/easystar.htm

Jim
RktMan is offline Find More Posts by RktMan
Old Aug 10, 2006, 06:14 AM
rel
Joined Aug 2006
4 Posts
Thanks for the Information

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. It looks like I am going to order the Easy Star from Hobby-Lobby and try my luck at RC airplanes. The Hobby Zone Super Cub looks like a good plane but there is not enough data out there to make a good decision.

Thanks Again
Roger L
rel is offline Find More Posts by rel
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:17 PM
Central Pa
Joined Aug 2006
62 Posts
Bought a new Hobby Zone Super Cub

I have never flown before and went to the local Hobby store and he had both in stock.He recommended the Super Cub and within two hours of buying it I was flying,it is very easy to learn on,it has trims on the three channel radio for rudder and elevation.Some of my first landings where a little hard but the SC
is a tuff bird and the only thing I did was break the prop.I can now land like a pro only after a few hours of practice.It comes with both AC & DC chargers
that switch to trickle after battery is fully charged.I could not be happier.
bzizzi is offline Find More Posts by bzizzi
Old Aug 13, 2006, 12:37 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,510 Posts
rel,

I started with the Slow Stick. I really love that plane, but for just starting out an Easy Star is a better choice. They are both easy to fly. The EZ* is a lot more durable and you'll get more flying time in. Then follow it up with a Slow Stick after you've flown awhile because it is a very fun, versitile, and charming plane.

If you go with the EZ* make sure you enlarge the rudder. The huge EZ* thread shows many ways to do this.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old Aug 26, 2006, 05:59 PM
North Richland Hills, Texas USA
Joined Aug 2000
1,865 Posts
Gentlemen

I've been flying over 45 years RC and love to fly just about anything I can get my hands on and a few days past I was in my local hobby shop looking the little HZ Super Cub over. I was asked to take her out and fly for the day and give them a quick and dirty review of the little ready to fly. I went and plugged the battery into the van and let her charge up on the way to the local school yard and the folks at the shop had already assembled the model and I honestly don't think anyone had even looked at the booklet that come with it, took about 10 minutes. Anyway, got to the field and it took me a couple of minutes to figure out the battery installation but once installed everything worked as advertised. Paced off about 35 steps with antenna down and everything seemed to work so went back and placed the model on the side walk for initial takeoff. Slowly advanced the throttle and held a little right rudder to componsate for the torque and away we went. She was airborne and climbing out good at less than full power on seven cells box stock. Climbed to about 30 feet and started a turn out of the pattern and control inputs were excellent with nice smooth turns both right and left. Cruise at less than 60 percent and pulled a couple of loops just for the fun of it. Absolutly nothing bad to say about the bird and landings were sweet. I had the ACT off and after about 10 minutes of flight flipped the switch to see what would happen. I don't need it but what I noted was that at high alpha or just prior to a stall the motor cuts and the controls seem to go to hands off setting. Once the nose drops the power comes back on and the last inputs are picked up and the plane goes on its way. It will help in stalls especially when a beginners gets buck fever and freezes on the controls but if you don't let up it will gradually result in ground clobber. The flat bottom wing picks the nose up on its on once the speed comes up and will also help you out. Honestly its a nice flying package and a hoot to fly. I would not mind having one for my little fleet especially on a set of 24 inch floats. ed
Ed Couch is offline Find More Posts by Ed Couch
Old Sep 03, 2006, 10:09 PM
R.I.P. Mom & Airshow Friends!
Titusville fl.
Joined Sep 2006
778 Posts
Hi To all, I've also been looking up info about the SC and I found a good group of sc fans and flyers. Here is the link to the thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_43...tm.htm#4371835 Some of these guys added floats, ailerons and even better batteries to their Super Cubs.

Pics
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/th...95/Yt61336.jpg
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/th...95/Sp45438.jpg
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/th...11/Us53907.jpg
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/th...11/Gd46044.jpg
http://image.rcuniverse.com/forum/th...11/Jh17144.jpg

Videos
Hobby Zone Super Cub with GWS floats (0 min 20 sec)

Hobby Zone Super Cub with GWS floats (0 min 20 sec)

Hobby Zone Super Cub with GWS floats (0 min 9 sec)
BigTonE is offline Find More Posts by BigTonE
Last edited by BigTonE; Sep 03, 2006 at 10:41 PM. Reason: forgot
Old Sep 04, 2006, 06:54 AM
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Aug 2003
5,736 Posts
The super cub is a fine plane but not in the same league as the Easy Star when it comes to learning how to fly. The easy star is much more durable, and has the advantage of being a pusher which will save you many broken propellers and gearboxes.

Jim
BrunswickOH is offline Find More Posts by BrunswickOH
Old May 09, 2008, 06:27 PM
Joined May 2008
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rel
I live in the Sagamore Hills area and was at the Sagamore Park last Sunday watching the club fly. I was very impressed at the flying skill of the members and how quite the planes were. I am very interested in getting back into the world of RC. I talked to some of the members on Sunday, I am VERY bad with names, and was told the Easy Star is a good first plane. I looked on RC Groups and many people agree that is a good first plane. I called various hobby shops in the area and no one has the Easy Star in stock. All of the shops said that the Hobby Zone Super Cub is as good or better than the Easy Star. Does anyone have a HZ Super Cub the could tell me how it flies? I do not want to buy a "brick" for my first plane. The pusher prop on the Easy Star is appealing to me because a nose in crash will not break the prop or bend the motor shaft. Any help would be GREATLY apprecieated. Hope to see you soon at the field but flying instead of watching.

Thanks
Roger L

Hi I am to RC few weeks, never flew normal RC plane before. I got Super Cub and I'm very satisfied with the planes characteristics. It's really forgiving to the beginner. Still I'd suggest spending some time with it on simulator like FMS and then once going out would suggest to find space big enough. Most of the crashes I had were because of lack of space - crashing to fence or tree or ground in steep curve when attempting to avoid the tree. Even after several crashes the plane still performs great, on negative impact. As crashes are difficult to avoid when you begin, it's not bad idea to make some adjustments (reinforcing some parts e.g.) prior to flying.
As regards Anti-Crash Technology - it might be nice marketing, but first thing I'd suggest is to switch it off. It might theoretically perform as advertised at high altitudes, but chances are that you'll be on the ground before you reach this altitude. The thing is that let's say you start flying, you're still just few meters above the ground and because of wind or other causes you need the plane to maneuver quickly - with ACT on, the plane will immediately engage the only procedure that ACT knows - throttle down, elevator slightly up, all your inputs cut off. Without the throttle and controls you have not much other chance than to end up on the ground.
Also if you want to do some building, you can get just the plane parts (even without electronics), get better RC (e.g. on 2,4 GHz) and build it yourself to serve you individual needs.

In my opionion, it's a great plane for beginner as regards performance, handles very well, even in quite stronger winds. Just keep the ACT off and there should be no bigger issues.

Michal
naily is offline Find More Posts by naily
Old May 10, 2008, 05:02 AM
Something Clever
Cleveland, OH
Joined Aug 2005
895 Posts
Is anyone humming the tune to the Twilight Zone right about now....?

Jim
RktMan is offline Find More Posts by RktMan
Old May 10, 2008, 05:33 AM
Northfield Ohio
Joined Aug 2006
483 Posts
WOW, now that brings back memories. I think that was my first post. A LOT of air over the wings since then.

Roger L
rogerl is offline Find More Posts by rogerl