HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2006, 03:36 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Discussion
Should I or shouldn't I?

Considering the mid-life crisis car, and I think I've found it, and no, it's not really a lot of money, as it is pretty old.

Looking for rationalization or critique: Talk me out of it or talk me into it:
lrsudog is offline Find More Posts by lrsudog
Old Aug 09, 2006, 03:48 PM
Idaho, Boise
Joined Dec 2005
107 Posts
It's impractical, you can't fit kids in it (or grandkids, depending your age), the young hot chicks will be looking at you, and that is just a damn cool looking car. I hope that helps! :-)
Rifter is offline Find More Posts by Rifter
Old Aug 09, 2006, 03:57 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrsudog
Considering the mid-life crisis car, and I think I've found it, and no, it's not really a lot of money, as it is pretty old.

I came very close to buying something similar a couple of years ago, but the kids are/were nearing driving age and the insurance rates with something like that were unreal. Alas, I ended up deciding to wait untill they move on. If your kids are young enough for you to have it for several years before they start driving, I'd say go for it.

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:01 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
In Michigan do you have to insure for every driver in your household? We can leave for example, a teenage driver off the insurance for a particular car.

As far as it goes, insurance for this thing would be half of what I am paying on my '05 Saturn Vue, being that the Honda in the pic is 15 years old.
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:15 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,370 Posts
It won't take a Kadet wing... it's useless! Grump!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:17 PM
Joined Apr 2004
510 Posts
Quote:
NSX is an excellent car. They also made a Targa version, which might be a bit more fun, if you are into that kind of thing.
AndreyT is offline Find More Posts by AndreyT
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:18 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
How many lives do you expect to have?
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:25 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Go ahead and get it. The only thing you will regret is if you don't get it. It's a nice looking car.
mikefast is offline Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:31 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,335 Posts
Quote:
In Michigan do you have to insure for every driver in your household? We can leave for example, a teenage driver off the insurance for a particular car.

As far as it goes, insurance for this thing would be half of what I am paying on my '05 Saturn Vue, being that the Honda in the pic is 15 years old.
If I put them on my policy, then yes. Every driver has to be insured for every car I own. If I want to get the kids their own policy for their own car that's possible, but more expensive than having them on my policy.

As part of my eldest daughter's driving education she had to get insurance quotes with a car or two of her choice. Adding her and a 2001 Honda S2000 to my the policy ranged from and additional $4800 every 6 months to $2600. I thought to myself... Da...m! I'll just get grandam's old grand prix for her to drive.

Basically, the cheapest route is to not own any high performance cars of any kind and put them on my policy, but there are other advantages to getting them their own policy. It's still up for debate at this time in my family. My eldest starts driving in october.

BTW: That car looks way cool. How does is drive?

Wiz
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:33 PM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Go for it. You only live once.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:34 PM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
No, don't do it.

It would be bad for you.

Please don't do it.

There, now you can do it anyway. Cheers!

And I remember the 2 summers of fun my wife and I had with our new model Thunderbird. <sigh>

Then a 16 year old son came of age.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:38 PM
Hi ya! Car ride!?
Portage La Prairie, Manitoba Canada
Joined Sep 2003
733 Posts
Well at least its not an old Fiero.

Personally I'm always keeping my eyes open for a restorable .64 Merc 2 door, preferably with the electric rear window.
Sport Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Sport Flyer
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:40 PM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
If it is in good condition, and if you can keep it in good condition, and get a good price on it, then work out the devaluation on it for a year. If that number (plus insurance and maintenance) comes out to a reasonable figure for you to spend to enjoy driving it for a year, then go for it. That's the only way to look at such purchases (unless you are obscenely wealthy in which case you wouldn't even bother asking) - can you buy it, drive it, and then sell it and live with the net cost?
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:42 PM
Go get them Meg!
Cabin 21...
Joined Jan 2001
2,118 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wizynajtys
BTW: That car looks way cool. How does is drive?

Wiz
As Audrey says, the NSX is an excellent car. It's a Honda, after all. Not as much HP as a Vette, but very light and well balanced. The Targa top did not come out until '95, and they got a slightly bigger engine & 6 speed trans in '97, but then the price goes up accordingly. If I go with an older one (The body did not change until '02) it would be cheaper than a new Harley, for example.

Quote:
No, don't do it.

It would be bad for you.

Please don't do it.
This is why I had to get opinions here. You know in the old cartoons with the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other? Well running this kind of thing by my wife is like having a devil on each shoulder, egging me on.
Old Aug 09, 2006, 04:44 PM
NCC-1701A
Riverside, Iowa
Joined Aug 2006
1 Posts
Well the big question here is ,Will your wife let you have it?
Cptn. J. T. Kirk is offline Find More Posts by Cptn. J. T. Kirk