Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 18, 2006, 11:47 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uproar90
On the casing/etc. Instead of putting the chopstick into the casing, or drilling, try a drop of hot glue between the casing and the chopstick along with a zip-tie or two to secure it.

-mike s.
Tried that, worked like a charm. Three flights and motor mount still intact. I also added a tiny fin underneath at the center of gravity. Good for launching (would fly out of hand without push anyway it seems) and keeps motor off the ground when landing.

This has got to be my slowest plane, can't believe how well it floats. Did only a couple loops, then wanted to see how fast it will go. Motor cut out just around half throttle. Goofy prop vibration noise before it happened, esc cuts out and must be restarted. This appears to be my biggest issue with all my brushless. When putting the power to them at a particular point the prop will start to raise on one side only and spin off the prop saver (both my home made and store bought prop savers). I have even tried in past to get elastic so tight it bent the blades itself, not a workable fix. Issue seems to be that with it on the saver it has play side to side between the motor shaft and the inside cone of the prop. What is the trick here? Do you guys shave down the back side of the props hub till you get a good fit, or am I the only one that experiences this?

Also, I was amazed, those cdroms are almost not audible in the air. Really supprised me.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Last edited by Lakota; Aug 18, 2006 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Had to comment on cdrom motor sound
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
another UFO sighting ......

It flies !!

At the 25% CG gpw stated it was quite a floater !! Inside and outside loops galore ! Im gonna have fun with this one. So simple to make too ! ( 2 beer job) Thanks gpw and all who have posted info.

21 in
J250 - 4025 GWS
GWS pico servos
GWS ESC
Bluebird RX
2cell 1200mah lipo

All it needs is a paint job.
My blue Albacord is gettin jealous.

Spar~
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:23 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
sparrow1717 - your setup is just about the same as mine... Different rx and thats it.

One bit of advice... Be sure you're high enough before doing two loops followed by an outside loop. I barely pulled it out... I think the tail actually hit some grass on the way back up.

-mike s.
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Aug 18, 2006, 02:48 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
yeah..you can get kinda carried away with the loops ! lol funfun

I spent the last couple of mins of batt time flying slow and low , skimming the dandilions. This is the slowest j250 powered plane ive ever had so far.
Ive got a GWS geared J250 id like to try out next. With the bigger prop , I should be able to kinda hover.

the neighbors gave me that "what the hell is he flying now" look .

I just now realized our dining table is about 48'' diameter. Lakota's 48 incher izz huge ! It must be able to float backwards in a headwind.

Spar
Old Aug 18, 2006, 05:41 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,061 Posts
Tony, now all I have to do is find a place for it ....hahahahahaha too much stuff!!!!!! ....

Guys , it sure is FUN eh ???? I got a hint for the j250 mounting .... use a tongue depressor and glue it flat to the disk , overhang enough to accomidate the motor and a couple tie wraps ... also a piece of tongue depressor on the bottom makes a convenient handle (on the cg )
Lakota , try making a cd motor with a GWS shaft (threaded) that way you can screw on a servo arm propsaver, they work ... and yes we do "fit" the prop hole to the adapter...see pic

sparrow .... mine hovers and does tail touches and torque rolls ... geared motor with lots of thrust should make this easy ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 19, 2006, 07:46 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Night sighting.....

I just back from flying my UFO with some of those chemical lite stick tubes attached. Its a quick and dirty way to night fly. I had a blast !!

I probably could have put more on to complete the circle , but the 5 total seemed like alot of weight for the j250. It still pulled out nicely with the 5 attached. The only weird thing was when at high speed it would tuck !! If I just puttered around at 50%-70% throttle it was alright. Im sure a stronger moto would do more lights. I specked it out at one point...looked cool.

I still want to do one with high intensity LEDs later.

UFO FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!

Spar
Old Aug 19, 2006, 10:33 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
Lakota , try making a cd motor with a GWS shaft (threaded) that way you can screw on a servo arm propsaver, they work ... and yes we do "fit" the prop hole to the adapter...see pic
Actually, I have done that servo arm prop saver on my Slow Stick, works great on that I admit. Suppose I shall order some BP replacement shafts (they are threaded) next time I make an order so I can try it on the gobrushless motors. Still will be trying to find a fix in the mean time. Will try filing the matting surface of the prop itself till short enough to lose the side to side slop for tomorrow. I must be doing something different than the rest of the world as I have not come across anyone else having this problem.

That is just too cool Sparrow! Will have to try that once I get my prop woes sorted out.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Aug 20, 2006, 12:35 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Ok... The 16" is too heavy in my opinion... I'm going to trash it and stick with a 'very light misting' of paint on the new one, if the new one gets painted at all!.

If flew Ok... Just barely OK though.
The 2S 1320 TP (old faithful) that I fly often seems to be a bit 'tired' compared to my new PQ batts that I've been stockpiling (rclipos.com sale )

The TP on the EDP-50xc motor was anemic... Didn't have enough oompf to rise... A slow, gradual descent to terra firma and that was it. Changed to a PQ batt and it was flyable, but barely... Just not enough rear-end to move it around like I had hoped.
So I did what anyone would do at that point... Put a J250 on it.

Now... this is where it gets interesting... gpw handed me one of his j250's out of his toolbox that was already 'made up' with a 'mini-dean's' plug, cap, even collett adapter and prop. All I had to do was zip-tie it down, plug it up and go.

Under 3 minutes and we've got a new motor/prop combo ready to smoke this little 16" wing. It flew better than the edp, but barely. I kept commenting over and over again about how it must be too heavy for the wing area since it was flying nothing like my 21" 'Happy Alien'.
Brought it in, and was getting ready to change to an IPS S2 setup when I noticed the prop was on backwards. Glen had this motor setup as a pusher (ala-horten or something like that) and I didn't notice it when I installed it. Told glen what I had done, and we both agreed that the prop facing the correct way should really made a difference (ya think?!?!)

Now it was more like the original UFO. Scooting around the sky and all-around a 'decent' flyer. Notice I didn't say great, or even good like my original. It still wasn't there. We figured with the new size (just over 200sq. inches on wing area) and the fact that the wing loading was probably much greater, it not going to be like the original.
By holding the two UFO's in my hands I could tell a difference in weight (21" is heavier) but not much difference. I figured I went way overboard on the paint, and this must've been a key factor. I'm guessing with the heavier wing loading that I'm having to constantly fly like I'm entering high-alpha and the drag is killing me. Only when I get some height, and then dive down did it wake up.
Decided to go ahead and try the geared motor. Stuck the IPSS2 on the nose with a 7x6 prop. Again, it flew OK, but it still wasn't impressive.

So... Where do we go from here? 12" diameter

It's the only obvious solution!

Going to go to a 12" wing, no paint (maybe some magic marker for orientation) and just keep it light as can be. Will have to locate some smallish lipos to go with this setup. Will also rebuild the 16" just to have a few different variations. The new 16" also will not be painted, or if it is, it will be a very light mist only for 'accent'
Old Aug 20, 2006, 05:33 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,061 Posts
We flew the old UP with ips A motors and nimh 720's ...imagine ... and they flew OK...not nearly as well as the cd motors and lipos ... isn't progress wonderfull...................sometimes...
Old Aug 20, 2006, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
15 Posts
Forgave the idiot quotient of this message, but would be the bare minimum gear to put this together? I've been reading through the group, but the wife is starting to get suspicous about me having a new hobby, and I don't have the free time to dig into this as deep as I'd like. I was into flying Nitro planes back in the late 80s early 90s (until the winter/thaw of 93 took out all our gear... every plane, transmitter, receiver... close to 10k in total). So, I'd be starting totaly from scratch. Will any transmitter work? Something with 4+ channels with mixing? I'd likely go with Lipo over NiMH. I've got an Aero Ace Jet at the moment, and it's been a blast with no wind... but North Carolina ought to be renamed the windy state.. oy. Just looking to for the next project to leap toward, but I need to know what type of budget I'm looking at.
Ophbalance is offline Find More Posts by Ophbalance
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:17 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
oph - will be able to type a bit better in the morning... Dealing with a 'bandaged' finger this evening due to a slip with ye 'olde razor knife

I said I was gonna, and I did it! I wore out the UFO.
This happened in flight... No strikes on this prop, just a J250, 2S 1100 polyquest, and a whole lotta flipping and flying.
Old Aug 21, 2006, 05:53 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,061 Posts
SAFETY:..... another great reason to stay out of the prop arc when running these motors in the pitts or on the bench ...safety glasses wouldn't hurt either...
Oph ... This is about as low budget in time and materials as it gets ...and almost any tiny rx and servos will work as long as it has 3-4 channels and elevon mixing... as the "Thane of thrifty" , be assured , this is "as simple as it gets "....and as cheap , unless you get the wife to buy it for you ...hahahahahaa....

Up90 is gonna' have a fleet of em' soon ....
Old Aug 21, 2006, 10:36 AM
Joined Aug 2006
15 Posts
So would it be safe to assume I'm going to need about $130-170 for a decent digital transmitter (4-6 channel). Then maybe an additional $150 or so in battery/servo/motor/props/assorted?
Ophbalance is offline Find More Posts by Ophbalance
Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:20 AM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
Ophbalance -

You could get a pretty basic 4 ch with mixing capablities for about $59 from servocity. http://servocity.com/html/4-ch_laser_4_fm_systems.html

Even better is the Flash 5 comp radio for $109 http://servocity.com/html/5-ch_flash_5_fm_systems.html
Not including RX

The GWS pico RX 4ch are ok but dirt cheap ($18)
Ive had good luck with the BlueBird 4 ch rx's...cheap as well.

$150 for battery/servo/motor/props/assorted is pushing it.

Going lipo will be kinda expensive as you need a lipo charger and batts.
The batts you can find good deals but the charger you dont wanna get cheap with. A Great Planes TRiton is an excellent choice. I think someone is selling one for about $80 in the for sale forums. If you wanna save money , GWS makes lipos as well as the wallwart type basic lipo charger for cheap.

Servos: the GWS pico servos are nice lil cheap servos. Todds models is having a sale on Hitec HS55's for $12 apiece.

Motors: for the UFO and other FFF projects the Johnson 250 is a good lil motor. You can get some cheap brushed geared GWS EPS systems(sp350) for cheap to. There is always brushless outrunner type motors . They seem to be getiing cheaper everyday. If your good with ur hands(winding)...try a CDROM brushless motor kit !!

Electronic speed control: Depends if you going brushed (cheap) or brushless(power) motors. For small brushed motors the GWS ESCs are good. there are alot of brushless ESC on the market now that are priced cheaply.

All these items can be found at BPhobbies.com

The UFO would be a great first project !! Easy to make and flies really nice and slow !! You/ll be hooked

Just tryin to help

Spar~
Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:29 PM
Go Navy!
USA, PA, Media
Joined Apr 2005
905 Posts
neat work with the glowsticks... I have not tried it on a plane before but:

back in college my room mate had a few glowsticks. They were marked as "non-toxic". We took that to mean that it would be a good idea to cut them open, pour the stuff on white tshirts, and wear them. The tshirts were permentally stained. However we glowed for a while like that. I havent gotten cancer from it yet!

I do not know how the goo would stay on the foam, its been a while but i think it is pretty viscous. You may be able to "paint" it on the foam and thus save some weight. Obviously it would be less bright but the whole plane would have a glow...

Probably with the propwash and everything the stuff would just get blown off... something to think about I guess... It looks like on the LE of the wing though.
maverick06 is offline Find More Posts by maverick06