SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 16, 2006, 07:06 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
It is really amazing how SIMPLE these are ... would be too embarassed to make kits , and usually I'll build a couple UP front for spares , this one , What the heck ??? replacement is 20 min away ...schmaybe I'll stock UP on some with more decoration .... Hmmmm... base coat silver , airbrushed on , with variations on the markings , cool decals and perhaps a bit of color somewhere.... Ya' know If we did enough of em ' we could burn a screen and print them (serigraphy) and they'd look "REAL"... scale anyway ...If we had a photograph of the top and bottom views , it would be printed as a photo on the foam ... like paneling .....fooled us ???
The larger props do give a bit of thrust eh ???? try a geared j250/D/ 12x4... on 2s, yet ... bigger props get torquey though ...

UP , great pics!!!!! .... Blu-Moon !!!!! and boy was it FAST !!!!!

USAF UFO = small prop fast , large prop Vertical... your choice , or perhaps somewhere in between .... a compromise ???? There is always that stick on the left ... I know you've seen it before ....hahahahahahaha
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Last edited by gpw; Aug 16, 2006 at 07:17 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:19 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Got a bit of paint on my 16" Alien. Nothing fancy... Something for looks and orientation.

Will post pictures later tonight.
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Aug 16, 2006, 08:38 PM
WOOOOsssSSSShhHH !!
Long Island , NY
Joined May 2003
1,007 Posts
UFO skin.....

Are you guys leaving the the film on the foam for strength? I just cut out a 21in one with out the skin and it was rather flimsly. Perhaps some bambo skewers for strength?

The chopstick should help a little.

Spar
sparrow1717 is offline Find More Posts by sparrow1717
Last edited by sparrow1717; Aug 16, 2006 at 11:44 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:28 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
I've been using the 'new' bluecor that is only skinned on one side. No problems here. Just use a spar where needed.

My 21" UFO has a bamboo skewer from the motor mount to the front of the profile fuse.

My 16" has a skewer on the underneath side from the motor mount almost to the back of the disc.

Finally completed the electronics on the 16" this evening...

I bought 2 cans of paint at walmart yesterday... The first was chrome 'plasti kote' and said it was good for 'expanded foam' so I tried it on a test piece of bluecor. It bubbled the non-skinned side, but I seemed to be able to mist it on the skinned side lightly without any problems. After seeing the bubble however I opted for the closest thing I could find to silver in the H2O series of paints... Unfortunately, the closest thing I could find was 'Panama Canal Beige'. I'll be keeping an eye out for the 'Gulf Grey' color, but for now this will have to do.

I think the contrast in flight should be OK though... we'll have to see if GPW is fast enough to catch a few shots of this one!

Will maiden this weekend, and will bring an IPS S1 gearbox/prop combo in case I don't like the DD 3x3 setup.

-mike s.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:48 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Weather to be really good tomorrow. Think I shall maiden mine. Promised myself earlier this week I would not fire up the cdrom I wound till I got a second esc, lack of confidence in first wind. You know the story, could not help it and tried it out just now. She works!!! Some questions about a gobrushlessv1.1-17turn 26awg newbie wire. Plan to use 2s 1200mah lipos.

1)What is the best prop? I am about to try GWS EP 0843

2) What should I expect for amps? Is a Thunderbird9amp good enough for this wind? Have one of those on order, am using Phoenix25 now, but want to move that to a Hacker setup.

3) Have been getting alot of glitching problems with my brushed setup at the field. Getting glitching with this brushless setup at home as well tonight. Can a tx problem cause glitching?
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:56 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uproar90
I've been using the 'new' bluecor that is only skinned on one side.

-mike s.
Mike, does that stuff with skin on only one side actually have "Bluecor" printed under the Dow name on the foam, or does it say "Protection Board"?
Old Aug 17, 2006, 09:55 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
It has bluecor printed on it, no protection board here... I actually called Dow awhile back asking about where to find the original stuff and between the storm (katrina) damaging much of the distribution process down here, most of the employees being relocated (baton rouge, etc.) and my desire to just get some more foam, I gave up trying to locate any more of the original stuff.

So I figured how bad can it be???
Went to Lowes one day on my way home from work and found a bundle that was missing 2 sheets, and had a 'notch' cut into every sheet on one corner of the bundle. Brought it to the front, asked the manager how much for the damaged bundle and he gave it to me for $7.00.

I've still got 20 or so sheets of the original stuff still in the shed, but figured I'd try this new stuff and I can't complain so far...

I've made a 21" UFO (flies great), the 16" which will be maidened this weekend, a 42" Horten (too big for the J250 so it was too slow; but flew great), a new 36" Horten which I'm going to try to finish for this weekend as well, and I've also cut out Ewo's Extra 300, the Blue Albacorde, and will start on a Trainer 1 for my brother-in-law sometime this week or early next week. All this using the new foam...

I guess my point is, the 1-sided bluecor is just fine for our use... Just strengthen it where needed (you were going to put a spar there anyway!); In addition, most guys here were taking the skin off of the stuff awhile back when they were worried about saving weight. Now it is common practice to leave it on for strength.

-mike s.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 10:18 AM
Too Little Too Late
MICHIGAN... 48189
Joined Jan 2002
323 Posts
What Has Happened To The Pictures?????????
THERE are none ------------
Jerry
BIGSAPPY is offline Find More Posts by BIGSAPPY
Old Aug 17, 2006, 12:05 PM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uproar90
It has bluecor printed on it, no protection board here... I actually called Dow awhile back asking about where to find the original stuff

-mike s.
Typical Customer support. I called Dow as well couple weeks back to get them to tell me who has bought Bluecor from them in a specific area (they are sometimes good about that), and posed the question about them only putting skin on one side (read about it here) and the woman told me there were no changes still skin on both sides. Stuff I picked up this past Saturday has skin both sides. I am not doubting you, just commenting that customer service drives me insane. Too many call centers and such that have no contact or knowledge about products they are supporting. Hope I keep finding it with skin on both sides.

Maidened mine today. Flies great. Only 4 or 5 minutes and I landed it. My chopsticks are pretty small - and from the most expensive buffet in town! Anyway, I had drilled and threaded my 38 casing and the chopstick in two places with a 4-40 and used two 3/8" bolts to secure it. Guess it weakened the chopstick too much and it snapped. Did not notice motor mount missing till I walked away, and lost a casing and screws, bummer. Good thing I did not try a loop, that probably would have broke it in the air. Anyway, thinking I will try the mounts I use for the Bm21 or Bp21 motors, pictured below.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 01:11 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
I haven't really messed with the chopsticks... Been using the larger bamboo skewers from the grocery store which I think are a bit bigger in diameter than a standard chopstick. (just guessing though...)

Wow... GPW was right when he said the 48" UFO 'IS' the kitchen table.

That thing is huge.

On the casing/etc. Instead of putting the chopstick into the casing, or drilling, try a drop of hot glue between the casing and the chopstick along with a zip-tie or two to secure it.

-mike s.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 06:53 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
I use the chopsticks that you have to break apart at the top , are oval shaped , except for the square top where it breaks/separates... strong , want stronger ???... drip some ca on them , and don't drill big holes in em' , use smallest screw eyes through the brass casing and just holds the motor / stick in the same position ...one side...

Just as we had to adapt when were first presented the original FFF, the new stuff will require a "learning curve " ... I saw UP90's ... looks fine to me , and probably saves some weight ...and his Horten was slow , but flew very well (smooth )... just a little big for the mighty j250 ...

Up 90... Flight testing tomorrow ??? I can't stay too late tomorrow , gotta go to Metairie(LittleFarms ,10:30) to pick UP a Hammond B-3 organ and Leslie ... I traded one of my guitars for it ...... Wife is gonna' **** more stuff !!!!!
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:14 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
gpw - definitely have some flight testing to do... Finished the mini alien ufo 16" on Wednesday, and fished my 'smaller' horten last night (actually came out @ 35") so we have two maidens!

And of course I'm bringing my original UFO... That thing is just too fun.

-mike s.
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:24 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Glen, there's a piece of antiquity. I spent several years of my life moving around a C-3 and a 200W Leslie. The C-3 is simply a B-3 in a two inch thick, solid oak cabinet. Weighed as much a baby grand and took four people to lift it. While it sounded great, we all secretly longed for a Porta-B.

BTW, Hammond has reintroduced a B-3, all lightweight, easy to move, same great sound. Even has a Deep Purple setting.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Aug 18, 2006, 07:25 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,132 Posts
COOL !!!!!!! I'll be there at 07:00
Old Aug 18, 2006, 08:07 AM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
A contractor friend gave me some pink fanfold, Owens Corning 1/4". It has a clear but thick plastic on both sides. The foam is not folded but cut except for a skin. Peels easily. Kinda porky too, 20.85 Oz for two sheets plus a ~3" strip. But it's not wavy. It didn't come from Home Depot, it has another local business name on it, evidently printed by OC.

Pink UFOs, anyone?

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric