HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2006, 03:13 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Spicy - I find it usually takes several light cuts to go all the way through the foam. I've never managed to get it done in one heavy cut - that tends to tear up the foam. If you're planning to cut up lots of foam, buy a bulk pack of #11 Exacto blades, and change them when the old blade starts to tear up the foam instead of cutting cleanly.

Now that I think about it, if you use the wood-strip compass idea, you might as well rubber-band an Exacto knife to the wood strip instead of a pencil!

If you're really unhappy with your foam-cutting skills, cut just outside the circle you want (say within 1/16" or so). Then use some drywall sanding screen and sand the foam down to the pencil line. Sanding foam makes a huge mess, but the work goes very quickly, especially if you use sanding screen, which doesn't clog up due to its open stucture.

I'm sure a jigsaw will cut Blucor, but it does seem a bit like using a sledgehammer to shell a peanut...

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:44 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,988 Posts
Spicy ...if you're serious about making Foamies , get a cutting mat from the sewing center at Wal -Mart ...keeps your blades sharper and provides a better surface to cut on than the kitchen table (that spells TROUBLE).. Use sharp blades...I refresh mine on a nearby sharpening tool often ... Practice !!!!! Foam is EASY !!!!! Much easier than Balsa which has a grain ... For making a circle,I used a paint stir stick with a push pin stick in one end , and hole for a marking pen in the other ... Yes , I love getting two models out of a sheet ...but then I'm Thrifty .... hahaha
UP90 and I got to fly our UFO's at the field in unison ... Totally extraterrestial and FUN !!!!! and with his j250 DD (3x3) it was just as fast and maneuverable as mine ....FUN

I think he even has a few seconds of video somewhere...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 14, 2006, 08:27 AM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
Now that I think about it, if you use the wood-strip compass idea, you might as well rubber-band an Exacto knife to the wood strip instead of a pencil!

-Flieslikeabeagle
I got a beam compass at Lowes and put my Exacto where the pencil should go.

I resharpen my blades a lot on one of those "V sticks" sharpeners, only takes a few swipes if you do it often and you're always working with a sharp blade.

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Old Aug 14, 2006, 11:44 AM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
lovespicyfood - just keep at it... 1 year ago I was where you are now. Even built a foam cutting table... This is easy enough though. I may still complete the power supply for the foam table, but for now this is easy enough.

Video of gpw's UFO will be posted tonight... Quality is nothing spectacular, but I'm working on getting a better camera! (gonna convice the wife we need one for our next vacation )

Also working on a 'baby' ufo. 16" diamater and EDP-50XC w/ 3x2 for power.

Oh, and my 'regular' sized UFO is running the 4x2.5 prop right now...

-mike
msmith is offline Find More Posts by msmith
Last edited by msmith; Aug 14, 2006 at 12:03 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 12:09 PM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
What's are the dimensions of the Star Sled?
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:08 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck22689
i have a question would it be possible to build and fly this plane using the motors and electronics system from the air rage spirit flying wing
chuck - I looked up the spirit wing that you mentioned and it appears to fly using directed thrust. Meaning that one prop spins faster than the other in order to make the plane turn. I know the Airhogs AeroAce flys great using this method, and I've read a few reports that say the spirit is also a pretty good flier.

With that said, you could probably get the UFO to fly using this gear, but you'd have to really redesign everything. Motor placement, etc. is going to be different so it will balance different. How far apart the motors have to be to effectively use differential thrust is going to be a key factor, so the balance is going to be different since the motors are going to have to be space further back on the round leading edge of the plate. I've also read that the battery for the spirit is a nimh, and some have said that its not that 'great' of a battery. This might be an issue...

I think you'd do better to get a few used pieces through the sale forums here and piece it together until to get enough gear to make it fly.

Good Luck!

-mike s.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:06 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchy1
What's are the dimensions of the Star Sled?
grouchy - check out the link here...

http://www.foamfly.com/gallery/album75/ufo?full=1

Diameter is 21"; vert. stab is 8" tall by 3" wide, fuse is 10.5 long... I believe the total length of the 1-piece fuse/stab should be 13.5. I made mine 10.5 overall and it is a bit too short, or in other words I really could've used the 'forward' section to help launch using the 'underhand throw'.

Enjoy it... I know I am.

-mike s.
Last edited by msmith; Aug 14, 2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:13 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,579 Posts
Is it worth buying surgical blades over standard exacto's?
I have a wood burner with an exacto blade installed converted through a wall switch dimmer so any sharpness at all works fine - so far.
Cutting is so easy now.
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:17 PM
Edison, NJ
Joined Mar 2005
1,044 Posts
Thanks Uproar, but that's the UFO; I got those plans. The plans for the Star Sled don't have dimensions. I can't print full size so I'll blow them up at Kinkos, but how much do I blow them up?
grouchy1 is offline Find More Posts by grouchy1
Old Aug 14, 2006, 02:20 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
rampman - don't know about the surgical blades as I've never used them. I had problems when I started with FFF. Always rushing, worrying too much about this or that... After my 3rd or 4th plane, something just clicked... I've had others that flew, but I wasn't happy with the look. I'm very picky when it comes to aesthetics, and I want to be proud of my creations (or at least, my renditions of someone else's creations :P).

I've learned what works for me, and I keep learning new things every day...

gpw's UFO is the air force version... I'm building the mini 16" as the 'alien' version so we can have the true interspacial air-war flying overhead.

I just wish that I could draw... I've got plenty of ideas, but no talent
In other words, who is going to make this thing into an alien's face?

-mike s.
Last edited by msmith; Aug 14, 2006 at 05:31 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2006, 05:41 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchy1
Thanks Uproar, but that's the UFO; I got those plans. The plans for the Star Sled don't have dimensions. I can't print full size so I'll blow them up at Kinkos, but how much do I blow them up?
Ok... I missed something... I didn't see any mention of a Star Sled in this thread so I figured you were simply referring to the UFO as a 'star sled'.

-mike s.

***Ok... Found the star sled... No idea on the dimensions though.
Old Aug 15, 2006, 01:11 AM
Happy2ndChildhood
London Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
1,361 Posts
First time playing with a cdrom motor. I have thus far ca'ed a 38 caliber casing to it, do I just ziptie it to the chopstick? Put some rubber between the two? Maybe I'll try drilling two holes in the casing to put ties through the casing to prevent it turning?

By the way, doing the 21" now, all cut out, the 48" is on kitchen table, don't know what to do with it now.
Don McGill is offline Find More Posts by Don McGill
Old Aug 15, 2006, 05:37 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,988 Posts
The 48" UFO IS the kitchen table ....hahahahahah
Motor tube fits over the chopstick end ...little screw eye secures it ...
Star sled was developed from the hydro craze ... flies super , kinda hydro , very Star Wars ...no dimensions ... just print each page off the site ,stick together, all Letter size
UP ... I'll have to go over to the guitar shop to see your movie ... I really liked the way your UFO flew on just a j250 ...My next one's going to be one of those ...
gpw is online now Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 16, 2006, 05:28 AM
Look outside the Square
Gosford, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
2,621 Posts
Pictures and video look great Uproar. I changed the motor over on mine yesterday to a rewound BM12. 20T , 25 g, .5mm wire. Put a 1060 prop and it flew great on 2 cell 800mah batt. Then I threw in 3 cell 800mah batt and holy moley the blood was pumping. It was an absolute blast. For something so simple what can you say but "awesome". Glad the J250 was a hit for you.
regards Box
Boxhead is offline Find More Posts by Boxhead