HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:29 AM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glydr
Very cool - thinking of making one myself...

Why the tall vert stab.? Was that the only shape foam you had left?

To keep it scale!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=544381

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2006, 06:52 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
23,986 Posts
The only shape foam I had left ????? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahaha
Na!! I just wanted to present the subject as denied by the USAF ....offically .....hahahahahahahahahahahahaha Flying saucers ???? hahahahahahahahahahahaha

According to the great thinkers in Washington , we are alone in the universe...... hahahahahahahahahahaha I think not!!! Somebody's out there laughing at us ....at least the I love Lucy transmissions... what must they think ???? hahahahahahahahaha
Funny stuff eh ??? Honeymooners .... Bang, Zoom !!!! hahahahahaha
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Aug 11, 2006, 08:55 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,496 Posts
Scotty! More lights! More lights!

Well, here's a start! Flew in the front yard tonight under the close supervision of a black lab! He loved it--me too! Had a blast until I finally put my UFO in a (low) tree. Decided it was time to stop.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:11 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
According to the great thinkers in Washington , we are alone in the universe...... hahahahahahahahahahaha I think not!!! Somebody's out there laughing at us ....
I wouldn't be surprised. About a decade ago someone at Caltech discovered the first extra-solar planet, orbiting around a distant star. That opened the floodgates, and there are now at least 200 planets known to be orbiting around stars out there in our galaxy.

Remember, its really, really hard to find or see a tiny dark planet next to its bright sun - and even so, we've discovered a couple of hundred! How many must there be that we have not yet found? Thousands? Millions? Billions? Trillions? Really, what are the odds that there is no other life out there, now that we know planets are everyday things, and there are countless ones out there?

We may never contact intelligent life (it takes decades to say "hello" and get a reply back even if someone heard it and sent a reply), but I think it would be a miracle if there wasn't life of some sort elsewhere, on one of those myriad planets.

Oh yeah, a couple of links to the currently known extra-solar planets (the list keeps getting longer by the month):

http://planetquest1.jpl.nasa.gov/atlas/atlas_search.cfm
http://exoplanet.eu/

Back on topic, cool UFO, GPW! I'll have to build one one of these days.

I've just finally overcome my "flat-plate prejudice", and am building my very first plane with a flat-plate - a squint-scale F4D Skyray, with a fuse hacked and sanded from a Kmart Ultra Flyer foam chuck glider, and flat-plate Depron wings. It's another three-piece plane: fuse, two wing halves, vertical fin, and thats it! Test glides went well today, and with the CG location found, I hope to get it in the air very soon. I'll start a thread in this forum once I get it flying.

-Flieslikeabeagle
flieslikeabeagle is offline Find More Posts by flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Aug 12, 2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 06:09 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,986 Posts
Prof... just the odds are enormous....I figure once that everyone knows about life elsewhere , we would tend more toward a unified global government , then all the legions of local yahoos and their friends would be out of a pork job and powerless ... the ultra riche ' would then have to make war on extraterrestials for their obscene profits......they already have a name ...Star Wars..

congratulations on your breakthrough... viz. Flat wings ... hahahaha
You must build a UFO just for FUN ... Skyray sounds very cool ... Hint: make the vertical fin bigger ... Pics please...
Shirt , very cool and alien ...watch out for those trees....hahahaha
Old Aug 12, 2006, 08:13 AM
Beaverdam Creek, VA
Joined Aug 2005
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flieslikeabeagl
I wouldn't be surprised. About a decade ago someone at Caltech discovered the first extra-solar planet, orbiting around a distant star. That opened the floodgates, and there are now at least 200 planets known to be orbiting around stars out there in our galaxy.

Remember, its really, really hard to find or see a tiny dark planet next to its bright sun - and even so, we've discovered a couple of hundred! How many must there be that we have not yet found? Thousands? Millions? Billions? Trillions? Really, what are the odds that there is no other life out there, now that we know planets are everyday things, and there are countless ones out there?

We may never contact intelligent life (it takes decades to say "hello" and get a reply back even if someone heard it and sent a reply), but I think it would be a miracle if there wasn't life of some sort elsewhere, on one of those myriad planets.

Oh yeah, a couple of links to the currently known extra-solar planets (the list keeps getting longer by the month):

http://planetquest1.jpl.nasa.gov/atlas/atlas_search.cfm
http://exoplanet.eu/

Back on topic, cool UFO, GPW! I'll have to build one one of these days.

I've just finally overcome my "flat-plate prejudice", and am building my very first plane with a flat-plate - a squint-scale F4D Skyray, with a fuse hacked and sanded from a Kmart Ultra Flyer foam chuck glider, and flat-plate Depron wings. It's another three-piece plane: fuse, two wing halves, vertical fin, and thats it! Test glides went well today, and with the CG location found, I hope to get it in the air very soon. I'll start a thread in this forum once I get it flying.

-Flieslikeabeagle
There was one discovered in 1989;
http://exoplanet.eu/star.php?st=HD+114762
http://www.princeton.edu/~willman/pl.../HD114762.html

I love it when people claim that Earth is perfectly suited to life. Kind of like the mud puddle that is amazed the hole it's in fits it so well. What happens when we find life on another planet (or it finds us and makes contact) and it isn't carbon based?

Back to the subject at hand - I've almost got my "Slotto Mk V" finished, should I post pics here? It's real similar.

Good Luck!
BeavrdamElectric is offline Find More Posts by BeavrdamElectric
Old Aug 12, 2006, 12:31 PM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Beaverdam - 1989? Time flies! I remember hearing about the team that used doppler shift in the light from the star to detect the "wobble" due to an orbiting planet; the first paper was quickly withdrawn, because the team had forgotten about the earths own orbit causing a "wobble" in the observing telescope, but the method was good, and it opened the floodgates - we've had new planets up the ying-yang after that!

GPW - I've given up hope for peace and unification of any significant degree on our planet, seems like there are always stupid, violent yahoos like the ones running Israel and America now to stir up trouble. Too much chimpanzee and too little humanity between the ears...

Thanks for the tip on the bigger vertical stab on the Skyray! I cheated that one already, do you think it looks big enough in the pics? Glide tests yesterday looked pretty good. I hope to get the electronics installed today. My WAG at wing area is about 220 sq inches. I expect 10 oz weight with a 1350 3S lipo pack, and a cheap Ripmax Xtra 2826 9-turn motor with an APC 6x5.5 (about 160 watts ). If that turns out too heavy I'll try a Little Screamers and 3S 850 mAh pack.

Once (if!) I get it flying, I plan to add fake jet intakes and whatnot.

-Flieslikeabeagle
Last edited by flieslikeabeagl; Aug 12, 2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2006, 09:21 PM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
Dang i just built one of these in a RECORDBREAKING TIME! RTF in 30 mins. no lies here.

I hade about one hour or soo before it got dark and i needed to fly some thing.. soo i desided to build this sucker. AND MAN I LOVE IT! its a lil tail heavy but its fast and loops are amazing. Im going to PepBoys tomorrow to buy some LEDs for it to freak out the neighbors I am using a CustomCDR single for power. 2 cell 480 mah lipo (needs a 3 cell much better!) HS 55s and ohyeah mine has a rudder for more controll cause i fly in tight and small places. with trees that like to grab my airplanes soo i fly away from them real quick lol.

i'll get pics tomorrow!

_Danny
bamm is offline Find More Posts by bamm
Old Aug 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
Joined May 2006
19 Posts
i have a question would it be possible to build and fly this plane using the motors and electronics system from the air rage spirit flying wing
chuck22689 is offline Find More Posts by chuck22689
Old Aug 13, 2006, 06:12 AM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
23,986 Posts
22689 Schmaybe ???? but I'd stick with the Basic model ...
Bamm ... 30 min and rudder too ...Pretty easy eh ????
UP 90 showed UP at the patch yesterday with a new , cleanly built UFO with a J250 motor and 4x2 prop ... complete with a huge smiley face on the bottom ... Flew SUPER , another inexpensive power source...no hovering , but was pretty FAST !!!!!
Old Aug 13, 2006, 11:13 AM
Planet Jupiter
Joined Jan 2005
1,746 Posts
I was thinking about building a bigger one for my Eflite 400 inrunner and TP 2100mah 3cell..

hmmm 30" and half inch bluecore sounds good
bamm is offline Find More Posts by bamm
Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:24 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,774 Posts
Very cool craft! It's going to be either the 1st or 2nd scratch build I do!

Question, what's the trick to making a decent circular cut on fff? Do you guys use templates and a compass? As you can tell, I am very wary of my abilities to make a nice circle.

TIA!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Aug 13, 2006, 01:57 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
bamm - anything bigger than the original and you may need a spar, or two... One across the span, and one across the chord. But then again, we're using bamboo skewers for spars here... N/M - reread where you said you were going to use 1/2" That should work pretty cool... You gonna sand/round the edges?

lovespicyfood - make it your first... You'll be very glad you did.
This thing is awesome. I've told gpw at least 5 times between yesterday and today at the flying field that I can't get over how great the design is. It just flies so fine.

To make the perfect circle... I'm sure there are other ways, and I don't remember what gpw said he used for his, but this is what I came up with...

I took one of those Coca-Cola 'Fridge packs' after it was emptied and ran my fingers between all the glued pieces to make it into one big flat cardboard sheet. Cut one 'length' of the box on the seams on all four sides (cut off the flaps, etc.) so you wind up with a long rectangle. Using a sharpie, I put a + at one end and another 10.5 inches away on the other end. Put a hole with a small philips screw driver at one end in the center of the + so that you can barely fit the tip of a sharpie through. Using a 'T' pin, or a push pin, or even a small philips screw driver, stab through the + opposite of the sharpie hole and into the foam. Slowly rotate the sharpie around to mark your circle. So yeah... A compass for the circle...
Now take another piece of that 'coke' box and measure out the dimensions on gpw's plan sheet. radius the corners that need it, then trace it onto the foam. I cut out two UFO's from one sheet of foam.
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:29 AM
Got shenpa?
Los Angeles
Joined May 2004
10,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood
Question, what's the trick to making a decent circular cut on fff? Do you guys use templates and a compass?
I haven't built the UFO (yet), but when I wanted to draw a big circle for a craft project, I used to hammer a nail into a suitable strip of wood, and then rubber-band a pencil onto it at the right radius...voila, instant custom compass!

-Flieslikeabeagle
Old Aug 14, 2006, 01:49 AM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,774 Posts
Thanks for the tips on cutting out this UFO, I really appreciate it! I messed around with some bluecor today and I found it quite frustrating to cut. I used a #11 Xacto blade and a box cutter. I did a search and found that most recommend using the #11 exacto blade method. Am I just lame? It was a new brand new blade.

The hot wire setup looks ideal, however, this being one of my first scratch built projects, I'm not sure I want to invest that amount of time (to build one) or money (to buy one). One post I read recommended a jigsaw. I bet I could get a table mounted jigsaw table from Harbor Freight for under $100. Anybody use a tablesaw jigsaw to cut fff? That's an appealing solution to me because I was thinking of getting one anyways for several other "light duty" wood projects. I imagine that I'll probably get into this "scratch building" heavily once I learn how to cut a clean, straight line!

Thanks for helping out a "newbie"!
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood