HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Aug 08, 2006, 09:59 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Discussion
Wife Is trying to kick my airplanes out the door.

Ok we are Redecorating our home and my wife takes a look at my airplanes and say those things need to go out in the garage. Yikes I thought. Ok here is the concern. The garage is not climate controlled and it gets hot out there. My airplanes are Ultracote cover balsa, Epp, Eps, and Depron foam. How is the heat going to affect my babies? My Radios, Charges, and batteries will stay in the house. I'm not worried about the winter months.

Should I put my foot down and keep my airplanes in the house and sleep on the couch.

David
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:07 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Oooooh, your on your own on that one man!
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:15 AM
WAA pilot #167 (yeah baby!)
Far, Far, Far West Texas. ie. El Paso
Joined Aug 2002
950 Posts
For what it's worth here in El Paso I have all my stuff in the garage and heat has not been too much of a problem. Covered balsa and foamies hold up just fine.

Only problem has been double sided tape coming loose. Easy problem to solve though.

Put your foot down?? Are you crazy, man!!

-Adam
Ahawk is offline Find More Posts by Ahawk
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:24 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Atleast I can continue to build and work on my babies in the house. For airplane storage that would be the garage. Thanks for the replies.
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:26 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Now is a good time to move the wife out to the garage!

Actually, the only thing I keep in the house is my Tx. The batteries are stored in the fridge and all the rest of my RC stuff is in the garage. No problems yet to date.
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:29 AM
Got more toys than my kid
USA, CA, Fremont
Joined Sep 2004
3,676 Posts
Yah, I'm about to lose my hobby room to the upcoming second addition to the family. (sigh) I'm going to install screen vents in the area between the roof edge and the top of the garage door. Then I'm going to install a solar attic fan on the other side. The outside door is going to have a screen door installed so I can let in some direct air without the cat escaping. I'll also have a porta cooler that I'll wheel infront of the screen door for when I'm working there.

New shelving is in order too. Put my foot down? Not happening. The way I see it, the only alternative is trying to room the kids together (do you have ANY idea how one kid can keep the other awake) or have the baby sleep in our bedroom (uuuuuuuhhhhhh.....NO).

You're only true concern is sticky tape and low-temp hotmelt glue. I love building with hotmelt, but it can't even survive an afternoon in my car.

- Jim
macr0t0r is offline Find More Posts by macr0t0r
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:34 AM
Suspended Account
Country Rds.
Joined Sep 2003
1,827 Posts
I've had a few balsa and Mono/Ultra covered airplanes in an extremely hot attic all summer. As stated above, no problem except for servo tape coming loose.

Yep, put the wifey out in the garage... except for maybe Tuesdays & Fridays.
Steve Guinn is offline Find More Posts by Steve Guinn
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:35 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,560 Posts
Wellll you can try to put your foot down mate.

Just don't be too surprised when your missus puts her foot down as well. Her's of course will land directly on the balsa-Oracover-EPs-Depron models, as intended. YOu might find yourself flying EPP in silence after that.

Good luck.
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:44 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Guinn
I've had a few balsa and Mono/Ultra covered airplanes in an extremely hot attic all summer. As stated above, no problem except for servo tape coming loose.

Yep, put the wifey out in the garage... except for maybe Tuesdays & Fridays.

Are those laundry days?
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:51 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,851 Posts
You didn't have a pre-nup agreement regarding your requirements for modelling work space???. I guess I should be glad that my spouse has always sorta supported my toy airplane obsession even if she does use my small den as an overflow stuff storage area. Our "stuffed" garage has always been useless as a work area.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Aug 08, 2006, 10:58 AM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,853 Posts
Just make a rack and put the planes up the walls in the bedroom and the dining room like I did. (Yeah, ok, my wife is VERY tolerant of my planes and helis). Call it a "display" like her nick nacks.

The nitro stuff stays in the shed though. Something about the smell of nitro in the bedroom dosnt "do it" for the wife... go figure.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Aug 08, 2006, 11:19 AM
Balsa is for doll houses
Texas, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
1,647 Posts
Give in David.
U can't win.
Skrogg is offline Find More Posts by Skrogg
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Babymetal!
Old Aug 08, 2006, 11:25 AM
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,736 Posts
Can you wall off one section of the garage, put a $100 a/c in it and call it a shop? How about a 6 x 12 garden shed from HD or Lowe's? My hobby room is a 6'[ wide slice off t he end of the den (15' wide) behind hidden bifold doors.

all things are possible....

howell
gwinhh is online now Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Aug 08, 2006, 11:26 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrogg
Give in David.
U can't win.
I already know this after 16 years of marriage.

She supports my Hobby but dislikes the airplanes hanging from the wall.
Old Aug 08, 2006, 11:29 AM
closed
Gilbert AZ
Joined Jun 2001
9,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinhh
Can you wall off one section of the garage, put a $100 a/c in it and call it a shop? How about a 6 x 12 garden shed from HD or Lowe's? My hobby room is a 6'[ wide slice off t he end of the den (15' wide) behind hidden bifold doors.

all things are possible....

howell
I really do not want a seperate A/C unit to keep my airplanes cools. Heck the electric bill is high enough in the Summer in AZ. I still can work on my airplanes in the house as long as I clean up the mess and thats hard enough.
Closed Thread