HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2006, 10:27 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Discussion
Estes Air Force One 747

I noticed this thing on the Walmart web site for $100 bucks when i was ordering mu Storm Launcher. I got it in to day and took it for a flight

It has Bang Bang controls with just throttle and differential. No elevator .

Of course I plan to convert it to full controls, but got to find out how it does stock first.

Charged it up and took it out for a spin.
First flight was not well, didn't want to climb and just rolled into the ground.
The fan units are made to pop off and that they did.

Threw it up higher and it flew , but would only turn left and keep losing altitude till it hit the ground hard.

So I did a little tweaking on the rudder, wings, and horizontal ( there are no trim tabs ) and that made a huge difference.
It then flew with good power to climb and the turning is done in pulses. The motors will only hold a turn for about 3 seconds anyway so you don't roll it in. You have to counter steer to bring it out of a turn.

So it did OK but I can't stand not having elevator, nothing like throttling up to try and bring the nose up on landing. Which just makes for a harder landing.

Time for a conversion, Might even try to install retracts .
UAVPilot is offline Find More Posts by UAVPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2006, 10:31 PM
i cant fly 55
i dont know
Joined May 2006
1,065 Posts
good luck!, i converted the eagleye spy plane to rudder and elevator last year, and i hear ya "ican't stand not having elevator!"
f14_Tomcat_92' is offline Find More Posts by f14_Tomcat_92'
Old Aug 08, 2006, 03:06 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,805 Posts
Someone I knew walked out of that crash in the Iowa field years ago. Imagine trying to land a giant heavily laden aluminum plane with similar but even less control possibilities than your experience with the Estes toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
I noticed this thing on the Walmart web site for $100 bucks when i was ordering mu Storm Launcher. I got it in to day and took it for a flight

It has Bang Bang controls with just throttle and differential. No elevator .
Charged it up and took it out for a spin.
First flight was not well, didn't want to climb and just rolled into the ground.
The fan units are made to pop off and that they did.
Threw it up higher and it flew , but would only turn left and keep losing altitude till it hit the ground hard.
It then flew with good power to climb and the turning is done in pulses. The motors will only hold a turn for about 3 seconds anyway so you don't roll it in. You have to counter steer to bring it out of a turn.
So it did OK but I can't stand not having elevator, nothing like throttling up to try and bring the nose up on landing. Which just makes for a harder landing.

Time for a conversion.
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Aug 08, 2006, 04:10 AM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlcrlee
Someone I knew walked out of that crash in the Iowa field years ago. Imagine trying to land a giant heavily laden aluminum plane with similar but even less control possibilities than your experience with the Estes toy.
I though of that exact same crash that you mentioned after I flew it. The control was about the same that the "voluntary' pilot did for the captain and brought it in on the run way.

My landing was similar in style, but there was no lose of life, Just knock off the Fans, but there suppose to do that.
Old Aug 08, 2006, 02:26 PM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,946 Posts
Differential thrust as your only control option and you are riding in the plane!

Here is a link on the United Flight 232-Sioux City, Iowa crash:

http://www.airdisaster.com/eyewitness/ua232.shtml

They not only had to fly only on differential thrust but the plane had an unfixable right turn to deal with too. I got to see Captain Haynes presentation about the flght at Oshkosh a while back. Pretty amazing.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Aug 08, 2006, 06:51 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
well I gutted all the radio and plastic parts off of it to start with.

All the gear and non essential parts came up to 70 grams total. Now I will start to remove some of the foam out of the body that i don't think is necessary.

I haven't weighed the airframe yet , but I will do a before and after with the weight reduction.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 10:42 AM
St.paul, MN
Joined May 2005
128 Posts
Any advancememnt on this project?
tgg61 is offline Find More Posts by tgg61
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:07 PM
I'M OVER HERE NOW
Joined Mar 2007
89 Posts
you sure you found that plane on the walmart site for $100?
donanton is offline Find More Posts by donanton
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:30 PM
Foam Floats Better
The Big Country of TX.
Joined Oct 2004
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by donanton
you sure you found that plane on the walmart site for $100?
It was back then. Seems they what $134 for it now.

Old Apr 13, 2007, 02:18 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
ANy progress on this? I am really interested!!
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Apr 13, 2007, 02:31 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
It was back then. Seems they what $134 for it now.

It's the license fee they pay Boeing To quote,

""747 shape is licensed from Boeing""
madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Sep 13, 2007, 11:58 PM
Proud member of AAA
Joined May 2007
530 Posts
I just bought 3 of these for $59.00 each at Big 5 sporting goods in Mira Mesa, California. Sale ends Sept 23rd. I am very interested in making the conversion to one of mine as well. Hope to see some pictures and I'm sure everyone would like to know how it flies.

Good Luck!!
Michael Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Michael Johnson
Last edited by Michael Johnson; Sep 17, 2007 at 09:01 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:01 AM
Joined Dec 2004
23 Posts
After reading this I just went to my local Big 5 (Salt Lake City) and bought my second Air Force One. A great deal on a beautiful model. I fly my in stock config and while the controls are restrictive and challenging, it's still fun see the semi-scale flight. I'm not very motivated to start a build or mod, but I might just try it on my original for better control and more fun.
dmoench is offline Find More Posts by dmoench
Old Sep 15, 2007, 01:17 AM
Proud member of AAA
Joined May 2007
530 Posts
My maiden flight was about 3 minutes, but prior to that I had to drain the batteries all the way down and then recharge them. It's a beautiful flying machine, but would certainly be better with elevator control and a LiPo.

Did you get it for 59.00 as well? I wasn't sure anybody outside of CA had Big 5, but I'm glad I posted it now.
Last edited by Michael Johnson; Sep 17, 2007 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Flight time not accurate
Old Sep 16, 2007, 02:48 PM
Proud member of AAA
Joined May 2007
530 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUULIfp6Xgw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVd0_DEA1Fc
Last edited by Michael Johnson; Sep 16, 2007 at 07:27 PM.