HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Henna_Ojisan, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 08:35 PM
The dude...
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
758 Posts
Discussion
Depron Ultimate Bipe - June '06

Having seen how slow and fun these can be - I was on a quest to find a good set of plans with a plane to build. I wanted to avoid the total profile build and wanted somewhat of a boxed fuse. I found the plans and started working on it with 3mm depron. Since this was the first depron build I've ever done, I wasn't quite sure how sturdy it would be - but man, I was surprised in the end.

Nothing overly difficult - cut all the pieces, grabbed a few pieces of flat CF stock for the leading edge and started at it with some foam safe CA. I needed some color and decided to go with some iron on stuff I had from some other builds instead of the airbrushing. Totally happy with the look and this thing has flown really well.

Maiden flight was incredible - it flies so slow and is so much fun!! Once the CG was back where it needed to be - I was in love. I've got a few videos I'll link to shortly and here are some build photos - the whole build is captured in photos HERE so check them out and feel free to ask any questions...

RTF Weight is 14.5 oz with 1320 3S Lipo

Here are specs on the build:
  • Tabbed Depron Ultimate Bipe
  • Ultracote Iron on Covering
  • E-Flite Park 400-920Kv Outrunner
  • APC 10x4.7SF Prop
  • CC Thunderbird 18 ESC
  • TP 1320 3S PL Lipos
  • Deans Ultra plugs
  • Hitec HS-55 Servos (4) with E-Flite 3D arms
  • Hitec Electron 6 Rcvr
  • Futaba 9C XMTR

Here is an early video:Tabbed Ultimate Video - 65MB
Henna_Ojisan is offline Find More Posts by Henna_Ojisan
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2006, 12:23 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
2,008 Posts
Very impressive job Henna, particularly as a first attempt. I think I will give that a try sometime. I have an Ultrafly Outrage bipe and I remember thinking when I built the kit that I should do this myself one day. Currently have my Outrage on floats which is a barrell of laughs and adds a whole new dimension to flying. Some pics are in my blog here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525087

Regards

KiwiKid
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by KiwiKid; Sep 04, 2006 at 12:10 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2006, 12:33 AM
The dude...
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
758 Posts
I just checked out your Outrage and that looks great! I love how well these fly slow and I can image that is a blast. I started a "How-To" build since instructions weren't present on the web and they are a work in progress. The plans are easily printed at a Kinkos or similar for about $7 and the Depron ran me about $8 - I had it built for about $20 without electronics and used the scrap covering...

Not enough water near my flying spots to justify the floats...

Here are the plans for the ultimate - I can't claim the fame of drawing them, but I will take claim for the instructions thus far

Enjoy!
Jason
Old Aug 08, 2006, 07:04 PM
Twist n' Shout!
Joined Nov 2004
1,484 Posts
man did you do a great job with that ultimate! VERY impressed, keep up the good work

-Matt
Matt Dziubinski is offline Find More Posts by Matt Dziubinski
Old Aug 09, 2006, 09:45 AM
The dude...
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
758 Posts
Thanks!!
Old Jun 30, 2009, 10:52 PM
scale, scale, scale
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
ultimate bipe....

henna,
thanks for the plans. they were great to work with...nice and simple for a quick build. nearly finished.....will send some pics once i get it finished....a couple of modifications....here and there...but otherwise looks good.
szczepan is offline Find More Posts by szczepan
Old Jul 01, 2009, 12:08 AM
The dude...
Sunnyvale, CA
Joined Sep 2005
758 Posts
Cool - this was a really fun plane to fly and mine met it's demise against a light pole a couple years back. The build went together very quickly and the plans were really good. I'd like to build another in the future as it flew so slow. Linkages for the ailerons were a bit tricky and I copied the design from another make.

Post up some pics when you get it finished - I'd love to see them!

Jason
Old Jul 01, 2009, 12:18 AM
scale, scale, scale
Joined Jul 2007
41 Posts
will do...i thought i got to the end...but forgot to install the flaps and servos.!!!!!....hahahaha...was so eager to get it done!!!...i was going to give it a go without them?...perhaps just try the ailerons and rudder on the tail?....what ya reckon?....i have a trainer like that...and i'm not a great flier as yet....would it be ok to try without the flaps?
szczepan is offline Find More Posts by szczepan