SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2002, 06:46 PM
SD, CA
Joined Jul 2002
35 Posts
How do you attach your pushrods to your ailerons/elevator?

Got pics?

I'm sure aerodynamics is a big factor.

A fellow I met at Dymond mentioned using epoxy to attach them. If I recall correctly, "Set it and forget it." Is what he said.

horn's? clevice's? I'd like to see how you folks minimize slop when you set these machines up.

thx! Fly-on!
Pritos is offline Find More Posts by Pritos
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2002, 11:05 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
Ailerons are normally set up with internal torque rods, so there are no external linkages. For big planes with separate servos for each aileron (F5B, etc) then very short horns are used, and little fairings are often placed over the control linkage. Elevators just use a short horn. I usually don't use clevises anymore... I just make the pushrod the appropriate length, and then glue the servo in place so the trim is neutral. I have found that I almost never need to make a mechanical adjustment later (computer radios can be great) so in that sense, I "set it and forget it."

Hope this helps,
David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee
Old Aug 08, 2002, 12:38 PM
SD, CA
Joined Jul 2002
35 Posts
great pix, thank you!
Pritos is offline Find More Posts by Pritos
Old Aug 11, 2002, 02:20 AM
Gothenburg, Sweden
Joined Jan 2001
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davidfee
Ailerons are normally set up with internal torque rods, so there are no external linkages. For big planes with separate servos for each aileron (F5B, etc) then very short horns are used, and little fairings are often placed over the control linkage. Elevators just use a short horn. I usually don't use clevises anymore... I just make the pushrod the appropriate length, and then glue the servo in place so the trim is neutral. I have found that I almost never need to make a mechanical adjustment later (computer radios can be great) so in that sense, I "set it and forget it."

Hope this helps,
David
Have you just glued the pianowire to the ailerons or do they also runs in some brass or plastic tubes? Ive seen some people that has skipped the tubes and it seems to work great.

/Erik
Erik Johansson is offline Find More Posts by Erik Johansson
Old Aug 11, 2002, 04:04 AM
San Diego, CA, USA
Joined Mar 2001
3,068 Posts
On the model above (a Stinger 400) and others like it, I skip the tubes and just glue the torque rod to the aileron. If the ailerons were farther out from the fuselage and the wires needed to be longer, then I would definitely use tubes to support them. You don't want to have any slop in a fast model. Slop leads to flutter, and flutter can ruin your day in a hurry!

have fun,
David
davidfee is offline Find More Posts by davidfee