HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 07, 2006, 10:01 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Removing Anodizing saftely from metal parts

If anyone else is tired of the same old blue anodizing on their Trex parts here a quick and easy solution to take off the anodizing saftely. I found this post on another forum and thought folks might be interested in it. Click HERE for the link!

Gary
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2006, 11:26 AM
Joined Apr 2006
3,950 Posts
very interesting, might have to try one of these days.
driftinsequence is offline Find More Posts by driftinsequence
Old Aug 07, 2006, 12:46 PM
Suspended Account
Redding, Ca
Joined Nov 2005
5,040 Posts
Is that daves 3dmp rex?
Nick J is offline Find More Posts by Nick J
Old Aug 07, 2006, 01:05 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
I have not cared for the blue parts ..so I purchased the grey metal parts ...but it is interesting to know this so now I can remove the blue from my frame "washers" and spacers ..thanks for the link ..Tom
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Aug 07, 2006, 01:06 PM
/bin/ksh
USA, GA, Savannah
Joined Nov 2005
3,363 Posts
I've used oven cleaner with very similar results. 60 seconds in the cleaner and a gentle rinse with soapy water and a tooth brush to get into the nooks and crannies.
Steve_C is offline Find More Posts by Steve_C
Old Aug 07, 2006, 03:14 PM
This space for rent!
Southeast MI
Joined May 2006
131 Posts
if you want even better/easier to work results use Draino crystal.. I used to strip paintball guns and polish them up all the time using that method.
Ken448 is offline Find More Posts by Ken448
Old Aug 07, 2006, 07:48 PM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448
if you want even better/easier to work results use Draino crystal.. I used to strip paintball guns and polish them up all the time using that method.
You didn't go to the link did you
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Aug 07, 2006, 08:15 PM
Twin Cities, MN
Joined Feb 2006
1,456 Posts
I wouldn't...

Not that the Chemicals will possibly effect the fit of the bearings in the grips or get into the bearings in the swash plate. (lets test the seals on the bearings to drano!)

Not that I don't like dull alum that is now susceptible to corrosion and will require polishing. (anodizing actually penetrates into the metal... so how is it removed without removing some of the base material... ...)

It will probably work fine but personally I just wouldn't do it.

But that's just me.

Have Fun!
Andy
I.C.O.N. is offline Find More Posts by I.C.O.N.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 09:18 PM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Well, you can always get it anodized again... a different colour
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Aug 09, 2006, 10:47 PM
Killeen, TX
Joined Jul 2006
624 Posts
ICON is on the right track. The anodizing is a corrosion protectant and also gives surface strength to the part. Why take it off if you aren't going to re-anodize it clear or another color?
AMA Outlaw is offline Find More Posts by AMA Outlaw
Old Aug 09, 2006, 11:26 PM
USA, LA, Mandeville
Joined Feb 2005
886 Posts
Anodizing is a surface hardening process. I was told that anodizing a wing spar on an "real" experimental airplane would CUT IN HALF the rated "hours" of use of the spar! No corrosion though. And the spar would have to be replaced after 150,000 hours of use instead of 300,000 hours LOL, like you could fly that much in a lifetime!
hew565 is offline Find More Posts by hew565
Last edited by hew565; Aug 10, 2006 at 02:34 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2006, 11:43 PM
USA, NY, Syracuse
Joined May 2005
874 Posts
I been trying to get the stupid camoflage off the arrow shafts I use on my shogun, just tried it on a little chunk and it worked. had to make it stronger. I've tried oven cleaner and even sanding in a drill. Thanks
beer-man is offline Find More Posts by beer-man
Old Sep 05, 2006, 09:18 PM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Be real careful here... I just ruined all of my bling. I left it in too long and it ate into the threads. So much that the screws didn't fit any more. I was pissed. I just bought some parts that I've been waiting til I could spare the cash. I could only get the tired old blue. I threw in the other blue bits and pieces in. I don't know if I left it in too long or put too much drano in. There was a violent reaction. 45 seconds later and everything was black. I brushed it off with a tooth brush and everything had shrunk. I was able to salvage some things by tapping it a little larger and using larger screws. But duh, I hate that I have different sized screws. I'm a bit anal. Be careful.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible
Old Sep 06, 2006, 02:03 AM
Joined Sep 2002
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Be real careful here... I just ruined all of my bling. I left it in too long and it ate into the threads. So much that the screws didn't fit any more. I was pissed. I just bought some parts that I've been waiting til I could spare the cash. I could only get the tired old blue. I threw in the other blue bits and pieces in. I don't know if I left it in too long or put too much drano in. There was a violent reaction. 45 seconds later and everything was black. I brushed it off with a tooth brush and everything had shrunk. I was able to salvage some things by tapping it a little larger and using larger screws. But duh, I hate that I have different sized screws. I'm a bit anal. Be careful.

I agree and a much slower and maybe safer bet is liquid drain cleaner. I've used it with the assurance that it doesn't have such an aggressive action. Best is a housebrand because they're cheaper and milder in action.
1705493 is offline Find More Posts by 1705493
Old Sep 06, 2006, 05:18 AM
An ordinary sort of incredible
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2004
931 Posts
Anything steel that was attached, grub screws, bearings, is now rusted. I guess patience is not one of my stronger qualities.
mr.incredible is offline Find More Posts by mr.incredible