HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2006, 03:54 PM
Joined Jul 2006
6 Posts
Discussion
Lipo Explosion

just a cautionary note, have had a Honey bee for about 2 months now, just able to hover nose and tail in and do a few circuits, last night while charging my flight pack the charger failed, i had not had much experience of lipos before but the intensity of the explosion was huge, the three cells all went different ways, setting fire to the carpet, curtains and my heli. used a whole 6 kg powder extingiusher to get the fire out but the heli is a write off, my parents kitchen has smoke damage and the carpet and curtains have large holes in them!

(could be an interesting insurance claim)
TR7_FHC is offline Find More Posts by TR7_FHC
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2006, 04:21 PM
Joined Nov 2005
830 Posts
Ouch! What charger?

Mike
Mike abcd is offline Find More Posts by Mike abcd
Old Aug 06, 2006, 04:27 PM
RALEIGH, NC
Joined Feb 2006
983 Posts
Ouch !

What Brand of charger?
Crash549 is offline Find More Posts by Crash549
Old Aug 06, 2006, 04:27 PM
Joined Jul 2006
13 Posts
Indeed what charger... are you sure you were charging as LIPO ??? I have triton and accidentally charged LIPO as NiCad and almost had same thing...

Its super frightening if the charger actually failed... Im charging mine in a cast iron "dutch oven" at this point... the risk of failure when used properly is small (cell phones are LIPO) but the consequences are huge.
Walleye_gfa is offline Find More Posts by Walleye_gfa
Old Aug 06, 2006, 04:42 PM
RALEIGH, NC
Joined Feb 2006
983 Posts
I keep my lipos in a firesafe.
Crash549 is offline Find More Posts by Crash549
Old Aug 06, 2006, 04:45 PM
Brum UK
Joined Jan 2001
625 Posts
use a balancer charger that monitors each cell and shus down if not safe - Hyperion or others - will shut down even if you set it to NiCd.
Mike
Mike Payne is offline Find More Posts by Mike Payne
Old Aug 06, 2006, 04:47 PM
No warning points today!!
Hixson, TN
Joined May 2005
645 Posts
Ok I am definately going to buy a fire safe and charge my lipo in one of those fireworks motor tubes with a bag of sand on top. I have been paranoid about my lipo ever since I got it, but still no problems. (One problem, I don't own a balancer). Off to the workbench for you!

I'm sorry that you have to suffer to teach me something. But thank you anyway for teaching me.
flyingace451 is offline Find More Posts by flyingace451
Old Aug 06, 2006, 05:01 PM
victim of the system
Home of the Toledo RC show
Joined Jul 2003
2,486 Posts
Was the battery in the heli ? or just close to it ? Looks like a good time to upgrade to a rex....sorry for the accident ..
TooTall is offline Find More Posts by TooTall
Old Aug 06, 2006, 09:49 PM
Just call me crash.
Joined Jan 2006
1,308 Posts
Obviously in the heli . . . interesting this comes the same day as the questions posed in this thread. I see two big mistakes here, one charging in the heli of course, and two, sure looks like there is no evidence of charging taps on that pack, both countered by the fact that you fortunately did not leave it charging unattended. This would mean the pack was charged through the 4-in-1 jack and possibly with an incompatible charger.

Sorry to welcome you to these boards under such catastrophic circumstances TR7, but I for one thank you for posting this, expect this thread to be added here.

This leads to a rumor I heard, but I have opened a new thread for it in the battery forum so as not to jack this one . . .
rocknbil is offline Find More Posts by rocknbil
Old Aug 07, 2006, 10:55 AM
Joined Jul 2006
6 Posts
was charging the pack with the charger that came with the heli, bought it as a complete pack with charger, heli and lipo. was meaning to get a pack with balance leads but never got around to it.
TR7_FHC is offline Find More Posts by TR7_FHC
Old Aug 07, 2006, 11:11 AM View Post
HoverDown3K
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). It is temporarily hidden while HoverDown3K edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 11:37 AM View Post
flyingace451
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while flyingace451 edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 11:52 AM
lawn darts r' us
Joined Sep 2005
171 Posts
wow, thats not cool. I recently bought a HB2 as well. I'm somewhat scared of the included charger/lipo. These cheap lipos do not behave the same way as the better quality ones- I often find my 75-80% charged cheapie lipo, completely drained if I let it sit 24 hours! I'm an experienced plank flier and have a Triton, as well as a Multiplex LN-5014- neither of these "hobby" grade chargers seem to be able the charge these cheapie lipo's "well" either. I'm sometime only able to put 100-150 mah back into a 1000mah battery! My great planes, FMA lipos (better quality)keep their charge even after months of inactivity. Maybe I'll take a hint from this and toss that cheap lipo before it burns my garage/house down.
MKMotorsport is offline Find More Posts by MKMotorsport
Old Aug 07, 2006, 12:04 PM
Just call me crash.
Joined Jan 2006
1,308 Posts
It's simple. Never charge unattended, or if you do, charge them in a location where accidents won't cause damage, like outside on the patio. I imagine this pack emitted a few popping and fizzling noises before it let go.
rocknbil is offline Find More Posts by rocknbil
Old Aug 07, 2006, 12:15 PM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2005
780 Posts
Cheap & Safe way to charge

Use a finish cinder block...only open on one side. The baggies are filled with sand so when a lipo cooks off the bag melts and smothers the lipo with sand. Safe and CHEAP!!!

Randy
Meatball is offline Find More Posts by Meatball