Old Aug 06, 2006, 05:31 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,401 Posts
Discussion
Triangle stock cutter - SOLVED

A while ago I posted a thread somewhere about needing to make a jig for cutting triangle stock from square stock. Anyhow, after a bit of bashing around I finally came up with something that's fairly accurate and relatively simple to make... though it has a fair number of parts (six or seven).

Basically, it consists of 3 major parts.

- The 45 degree base
- The restraint cover
- The mount base

The 45 degree base is made of 3 pieces of right-angle aluminium joined together to make an inverted W shape

The restraint cover is made of 3 pieces of wood of the size that you need to cut

The mount base is just a bit of MDF/wood that you glue/bolt the jig onto.

So, without further delay, here's the photos of the jig in action!
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2006, 05:35 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,401 Posts
I'm cutting 6mm.sq (1/4".sq) balsa here. Notice how I've hotglued 3 short lengths of the same balsa to form a restraint dome over the top of the stock that's being fed through.

The whole assembly is glued to a piece of MDF which I then clamp onto the scrollsaw base. With all that done I can just push through the 6mm balsa at about 2~4cm/sec without a problem.

The downside of this of course is that it's a strictly one size jig. I could make another one that'd be variable but to be honest, other than perhaps 10mm~12mm stock there aren't many other triangular stock sizes I ever use and these jigs are quite quick and easy to make.
Old Aug 06, 2006, 08:23 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
I did the same sort of thing - glued 2 pcs of tri-stock onto a piece of 1/8" lite ply, and started feeding thngs thru my scroll saw.

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old Aug 06, 2006, 08:35 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,401 Posts
Brad,

Not sure if it's because I had bad blades on the scroll saw or something else - but I found I had to capture/restrain the stock from the top else it'd be a disaster, still I suppose it depends on what size stock you're using. With 6mm ~ 1/4" it moves around too much, with 10~12mm it seems okay.

Anyhow, today I'll start work on "Version 2" which will be adjustable.

Paul.
Old Aug 06, 2006, 09:04 PM
Dismembered Member...
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Well, things did bounce a bit at first, so I ended up having one thumb right at the end pressing down on the square stock to keep things still. Mostly I've been using the jig with my vertical "scroll saw" type hot wire cutter - making foam tri-stock for reinforcing foamies. I've pretty much given up on wood these days. Works fine for foam too

Brad
Old Aug 06, 2006, 09:41 PM
Roland, OK
Joined Aug 2006
7 Posts
Tri Stock

I made the same jig but clamped it down on my band saw, works great
osborjr is offline Find More Posts by osborjr
Old Aug 06, 2006, 11:03 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,401 Posts
Osborjr,

The jig I've made here is clamped down on the scroller with a pair of F clamps.

I've just made a 10mm jig as well.

I was going to make a fully adjustable one - but I've not had a chance to get to the hardware store yet to pick up some more angle stock.

Paul.
Old Aug 07, 2006, 06:25 AM
Dismembered Member...
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
The fact that a band saw only runs in one direction means you don't have to worry about the stock "hopping" around. Unfortunately all I have is the scroll saw. If I had a lot to do, I'd take the jig and stock over to my folks place - Dad has a band saw.

Brad
Old Aug 07, 2006, 06:56 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,401 Posts
Brad,

Quite right. If one had a bandsaw the problems might be a little less. Never the less, it was definately cheaper to hotglue together a few scraps of aluminium and balsa than it was to buy a new (cheap) bandsaw....for now.

Paul.