HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2002, 09:40 AM
Oxford, Alabama USA
Joined May 2001
642 Posts
Need Next Project decision help

I've got a fairly smashed up Kyosho F-16, with the Hacker brushless setup using the stock Kyosho fan, and it goes (went) great! However, I smacked it really well recently, beyond repair, I think.

I have another Kyosho F-16 New in Box, and am considering building it. However, knowing that I can probably get over $200 for it here or on E-bay, begs the question: Should I sell it and build something else?

I am an intermediate flyer, and would like a replacement EDF plane that is cool (like the F-16) that can use the KY fan and the Hacker brushless to similar effect.

Should I build the KY F-16, or do you know of a good plane that I could use my equipment in?
jimmyray is offline Find More Posts by jimmyray
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2002, 04:18 PM
My cat up close
England
Joined Feb 2001
4,021 Posts
I think Haldors' MiG 29 is a good bet,if you can handle built up structures,sure looks cool,and is relatively simple to build too!
I just ordered a plan

Matt.
bipeflyer is offline Find More Posts by bipeflyer
Old Aug 06, 2002, 11:10 PM
H301 Libelle Pilot
Oceanside, California
Joined Sep 2000
1,249 Posts
I'm currently building the K&A L-39 (scale wing). It was designed to use either the Ky fan or the MF480. It fit my requirements for a composite airframe that would use the new Aveox 2726/1.5Y and the very tiny SL-18 controller. Thus far, I am pleased with the kit, although it is more "robust" than necessary. I have concerns about the narrow chord at the wingtip, but if the speed is kept up, it shouldn't be a problem. With your Ky/Hacker this may be a fun airframe.

I made a mold to create a "lip" out of light fiberglass sheet strips and carbon fiber tow on both the intake and exhaust ducting. This lip precisely fits the MF480. The kit suggests that the fan is to be supported by the ducting alone. While the intake ducting is probably "stout" enough to hold the fan in a cantilevered fashion, good structural design mandates that I add some carbon fiber tab mounts to the fuselage sides that fit the tabs on the fan. That being done, it is all quite rigid.
Dr. Jet is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Jet
Last edited by Dr. Jet; Aug 07, 2002 at 11:03 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2002, 12:22 AM
Purple power
shadow hills,ca
Joined Apr 2000
6,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Jet
I'm currently building the K&A L-39 (scale wing). It was designed to use either the Ky fan or the MF480. It fit my requirements for a composite airframe that would use the new Aveox 2726/1.5Y and the very tiny SL-18 controller. Thus far, I am pleased with the kit, although it is more "robust" than necessary. I have concerns about the narrow chord at the wingtip, but if the speed is kept up, it shouldn't be a problem.
d.j.: don't worry about the narrow tip chord, she slows nicely without any tip stall tendancies..............gregg
gregg f is offline Find More Posts by gregg f
Old Aug 07, 2002, 05:23 PM
H301 Libelle Pilot
Oceanside, California
Joined Sep 2000
1,249 Posts
Gregg,

That's good to know, I was concerned. I plan on flying with the tip tanks installed so that may help as well.
Dr. Jet is offline Find More Posts by Dr. Jet