HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2006, 05:50 PM
Perth Westen Australia
Joined Jun 2003
443 Posts
Discussion
Market forces rule, no sorry, US forces rule

I have no love for the sale of arms of any sort by anyone to anyone. I consider for what it is worth that creation, distribution and use of arms is a massive diversion of resources from more worthy uses.

However there appears to be a global market demand for such things and when the global market demands no one should stand in the way of the market, should they. After all the market will somehow sort this all out in a most efficient manner.

So what justifies the US interfering in this market by placing bans on certain market competitors after all US companies sell weapons to a few unsavory characters as well?

Hang on, am I confusing the market with morality or is this an example of market morality anyway what is morality doing in the market.

Moral choices before market forces,or visa versa, what is the answer?

Quote:
US punishes Russian companies over Iran

By Stephanie Kirchgaessner and Demetri Sevastopulo in Washington

Published: August 5 2006 00:02 | Last updated: August 5 2006 00:58

US relations with Russia hit another obstacle on Friday when the State Department imposed sanctions on two Russian companies – one of which has close connections with President Vladimir Putin – for selling arms to Iran. The move angered the Russian government.

The State Department imposed the sanctions on the two companies, as well as two Indian firms, two North Korean companies and a Cuban group, because it said they were exporting material that could contribute to the development of weapons of mass destruction by Iran or a cruise or ballistic missile system.

The Russian foreign ministry said the move was an “illegitimate attempt to make foreign companies work by internal American rules” and that the US was punishing its own companies by making it impossible for them to co-operate with leading Russian corporations. “These sanctions, which the US unilaterally imposes on other countries and their organisations, are an obvious political and legal anachronism,” the ministry said.

The embargo could create problems for US companies such as Boeing, which is working with Sukhoi in Russia and is a large customer of VSMPO-Avisma, a Russian titanium company, which has been targeted for a takeover by Rosoboronexport.

The seven companies identified by the State Department will be barred from business with the US government and denied new export licences for two years.

The Kremlin’s appetite for arms sales with countries that “compromise the political and economic independence and territorial integrity of other states” was raised by the Pentagon earlier this year. Donald Rumsfeld, defence secretary, has also said he was concerned Russia was supplying arms to Iran and Syria. Washington’s unease was exacerbated last month when Moscow sealed a deal to sell fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters to Venezuela.

The latest development heightened concerns of European companies that do business with Iran, according to attorney Judith Lee of Gibson Dunn & Crutcher, who said the sanctions were a “provocative act”. “The US is cutting off these companies from the US market because they are doing something that is legal in their own countries,” she said.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/25d0d39c-240...0779e2340.html
gtstubbs is offline Find More Posts by gtstubbs
Old Aug 06, 2006, 03:56 AM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,167 Posts
Well, do we really want Iran to be buying stuff for nukes, when we are trying to get a UN sanction against them? It is within the rights of the US to use what leverage they can, I suppose.

Having said that, I read where the US supplied fighter jet parts to Iran (among other things), through Israel, of all countries, during the Iran-Iraq war. Supplying both sides in a war could be very lucrative I guess, but what does that do to the foreign policy strategy?

Additionally, what is to keep the suppliers from doing it secretly for the purpose of avoiding the sanctions?
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Aug 07, 2006, 11:53 PM
Idaho, Boise
Joined Dec 2005
107 Posts
Iran is a terrorist state. Selling arms to terrorists is just plain stupid. We can do whatever we want to our borders.
Rifter is offline Find More Posts by Rifter