SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2001, 03:18 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,016 Posts
How Can I Cut Colored Tape In Long Pieces?

I want to put some trim on the T-52. But that 3M colored tape sticks to everything that I lay it out on so I can cut it. I'm looking at 15"long cuts. Guess I could try to do it sticky side up????
Any suggestions?
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2001, 03:42 PM
Wid
Live Your Dreams
United States, CA, Redwood Valley
Joined May 2001
603 Posts
I use glass with a straight side. Stick the tape overhanging the side of the glass and use the edge as a straight edge. The strip I want is hanging in the air. Hold it with one hand while cutting with the other. Some times I can get the tape off the glass to repeat the process, sometimes not.
Wid

Quote:
Originally posted by hoppy:
I want to put some trim on the T-52. But that 3M colored tape sticks to everything that I lay it out on so I can cut it. I'm looking at 15"long cuts. Guess I could try to do it sticky side up????
Any suggestions?
hoppy
Wid is online now Find More Posts by Wid
Old May 31, 2001, 04:59 PM
Santa Maria, CA USA
Joined Mar 2001
93 Posts
I did this on an EPP slope soarer by laying strips of the colored tape on wax paper. You can use a blade or scissors to cut whatever patterns you desire. Just peel off the wax paper "backing" and apply. Good for colored tape camo where the pattern would extend over more than a single width strip of tape...

Jeff G.
Jeff Goldman is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Goldman
Old May 31, 2001, 05:26 PM
manahawkin, NJ
Joined Jan 2000
322 Posts
Jeff G.. Thanks for sharing this simple great way of doing a needed tape trimming.

Will always use it for hinges.. Thanks again

Jarvis
ahab is offline Find More Posts by ahab
Old May 31, 2001, 07:21 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Use a spacer the width of the stripes you need and use it to space a razor blade or xacto knife away from a surface, press the roll of tape against the blade and cut it by rotating the roll.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old May 31, 2001, 09:10 PM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
I've had good luck cutting trim stripes and starburst from this tape by wetting down my glass trim table with windex, then trimming with the sticky side down. A light mist of windex on the model surface lets you position the piece and move it a bit to get every thing alligned. A good pat down with a towel and over night drying and its stuck down tight.

Steven
Steven D is online now Find More Posts by Steven D
Old Jun 01, 2001, 10:08 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,016 Posts
Steven, you win the "Golden Hint" award! That works great!!!!! They should put that in FAQ.
hoppy

Quote:
Originally posted by Steven D:
I've had good luck cutting trim stripes and starburst from this tape by wetting down my glass trim table with windex, then trimming with the sticky side down. A light mist of windex on the model surface lets you position the piece and move it a bit to get every thing alligned. A good pat down with a towel and over night drying and its stuck down tight.

Steven
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy