HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2006, 11:35 PM
Joined Dec 2000
41 Posts
Question
Fournier RF-4 - Motor Glider

Anyone know of a source or hobby shop that carries the Fournier RF-4 motor glider kit manufactured by Aeronaut (Germany) here is the US?
Thanks and Happy landings,
Lewis
Lewis Adam is offline Find More Posts by Lewis Adam
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2006, 02:42 AM
Electric Airplane Junkie
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Jun 2000
5,597 Posts
Hobby Lobby probably can order one for you.

Brian, an EAJ.
bhchan is offline Find More Posts by bhchan
Old Aug 05, 2006, 01:27 PM
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
132 Posts
There is one for sale in UK - all ready to fly. I know the chap who built it and its a real beauty..

See http://www.scalesoaring.co.uk/Classi...assifieds.html

Allan
allanart is offline Find More Posts by allanart
Old Aug 05, 2006, 04:49 PM
ZOB
ZOB
Cranwell village in Lincolnshire England
Joined Dec 2005
98 Posts
Hi Lewis, Aeronaut do a model of the RF-4 and i know Hobby Lobby do Aeronaut good luck.

ZOB
ZOB is offline Find More Posts by ZOB
Old Aug 06, 2006, 11:56 AM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
United States, WA, Everett
Joined May 2003
4,019 Posts
Lewis, I know this is much smaller than than what you are looking for, but thought you might like to see my 80" scratch build,... click RF-4 link -
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72

A bigger one would be lots of fun. I need another winter project. OH no!,... I feel that urge to create sneeking up on me. Lets see, + 60%=128" ws, hmmm..... something to think about.

Fred
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2006, 08:25 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,750 Posts
Lewis, check the for sale page here, Joe Pierson is selling the model beautifully finished and ready to fly.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 12, 2006, 09:29 AM
Haltern, Germany
Joined Jun 2003
234 Posts
There is a nice RF-4 available from CNC-Technik Bayer:
http://www.cnc-modellbautechnik.de/rf_4.htm
You can get the kit with a molded fuse or with a wood version.
Scale is 1:2.5!
Christian
Christian Baron is offline Find More Posts by Christian Baron
Old Sep 04, 2006, 02:55 PM
Cambridge, UK
Joined Dec 2005
6 Posts
Allanart

I just bought that Aero Naut RF4 off the scalesoaring website. It is my first venture into scale soaring as I'm an HLG man really. However, I just couldn't resist it as it is a beauty. Not flown it yet as I need to programme the Evo 9. Will send photos when this eventually happens!

Mike
easyflinger is offline Find More Posts by easyflinger
Old Sep 04, 2006, 08:46 PM
Joined May 2003
4,019 Posts
I decided to commit to scratch building one. I have the basic drawing completed. It'll be my "mid-winter" project. Start date will be about the 1st of November. 1/4 scale - 115 "ws (2.9m), AXI4120, on 4s2p Tanic Lipo, all wood, with a fiberglass cowl. The only hangup for me is the retract. I've never had a retract. It really should have one, but I don't want to pay the weight penalty. But if I do put one in, finding one to fit the wheel well and still extend enough might be hard. I'm still thinking about that one. When I start mine I'll do a build thread on it. See basic drawing here:
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/ , click on the red link below the picture

Fred Guilfoyle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2006, 02:59 AM
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyflinger
Allanart

I just bought that Aero Naut RF4 off the scalesoaring website. It is my first venture into scale soaring as I'm an HLG man really. However, I just couldn't resist it as it is a beauty. Not flown it yet as I need to programme the Evo 9. Will send photos when this eventually happens!
Mike
Hi Mike

I know the history of that model and could put you in contact with the orriginal builder if you like..

Allan
allanart is offline Find More Posts by allanart
Old Sep 05, 2006, 04:27 AM
Cambridge, UK
Joined Dec 2005
6 Posts
Hi Allan

Thanks for that. Please could you PM me with his details? Just about to settle down to a days fettling!

Mike
easyflinger is offline Find More Posts by easyflinger
Old Sep 05, 2006, 01:08 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Fred, I hesitated before committing this to the forum, but I think your drawing is not true to scale in several area's. Assuming that R. Ferriere's 3-view is correct, I can see several differences, most notable are the thrust line being too high, and the way the top of the fin is shaped. I also get the impression that the nose is too short, but I could be wrong. Why not make a print of both and overlay them too see the differences? Sorry for being critical mate, but I like the Fournier too and would love to see another nice scale rendition.

Regards,
Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Sep 05, 2006, 03:18 PM
Joined May 2003
4,019 Posts
Well, Max. My drawing is an exact copy in profile and planform taken from a digital reproduction of a 3 view provided by Bob's Aircraft Documentation. At the bottom of the 11"x17" 3-view it says 772 .... Modellistica. Maybe that speaks for it's origin, I don't know. It is true to scale to the very best of my ability. I would not doubt that maybe over several reproductions it has stretched or deformed from the original. I don't care, it looks like a RF-4 to me. If you are comparing your 3-view to my (relatively speaking) small, low quality jpg. on my web site, that is a poor comparison. It has been reduced from a cad drawing 60" long to a .jpg 6" long, and you are viewing it on what?... a convexted monitor maybe?

This is a project for myself and will not be kitted or plans sold. I could care less if it's not an@lly perfect. I have made every attempt to make it as exact as possible with the 3 view provided. I couldn't be more happy, and proud with it just as it is.
Why not compare 3-views? If I was going to kit this model or sell plans,..... maybe I would. But you see mate,.... this is a hobby for me. I think it'll make a fine scale rendition.

If I sound a little defensive,.... I am. Thanks for your concern anyway.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2006, 05:15 PM
The Netherlands, ZH, Boskoop
Joined Mar 2001
1,150 Posts
Fred, I am sorry if I made you angry, this was not my intention at all. I was comparing your drawing with the 3-view that you show on your website right next to it, and I tried to be helpful in pointing out these differences before you started your build. Main thing is indeed that you are happy with it, and I wish you all the best with your project.

Regards,
Max.
max z is offline Find More Posts by max z
Old Sep 05, 2006, 10:03 PM
Florida
Joined Jul 2004
829 Posts
Fred, I have the original factory drawings for the RF-4. They also include the letter from Mr. Rene Fournier indicating what a difficult subject I had decided to homebuild. Well, the military, marriage and other such influences crept in in the last 20 years so I have only built a 1/4 scale model of the RF4. Let me know if you need them, I could copy the pages (huge) that you need to scale the fuse wings and tails. Thermals, Joser.
Thermaleer is online now Find More Posts by Thermaleer