Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 06, 2002, 01:22 AM
Fairfax, Va
Joined Jul 2002
6 Posts
First Flight Ever, Learned Some Lessons the Hard Way

Just got to fly my brand new T-Hawk, some lessons learned:

1. While doing a ROG type launch, if the plane isn't moving straight, stop immediatly and adjust BEFORE becoming airborne.

2. If you think a crash is imminent, turn the motor off. (The prop managed to take a chunk out of my wing.)

3. It *IS* true (even if it seems unbelievable), that the plane will hit the only parked car around for miles that isn't yours. (No damage.)

4. TRIM TRIM TRIM! (This includes the trim on the tx, which I forgot to center until about 3 hours after I stopped flying. No wonder it kept diving into the ground.)

5. Find all of the pieces of your plane after landing (crashing) before moving it. (I lost a little piece that a rubber band attaches to, had to improvise with the very back part of a Bic pen.)

All in all I think it went pretty well, had to cut it short do to increasing winds, but I had a blast! Will try again tommorow.

Rob
rgreene is offline Find More Posts by rgreene
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2002, 01:55 AM
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Oct 2001
85 Posts
Congratulations!

On your first flight, that is. And what you say is so true. But it is true for the rest of us also...... The thing to do before flight is check and check again. Be sure you checked the radio, movement of control surfaces and neutral position of same. And range check. Then you should be set for some happy flying.

My Sport 400 went down last week, one of the aileron servos jammed during a roll. Luckily it landed in some hay, between all the rocks. Post-crash showed the second stage gear of the GWS Naro servo was cracked.

Good luck on the next flight!!
mossie69 is offline Find More Posts by mossie69
Old Aug 06, 2002, 02:21 AM
aka Anthony
Edmonton, Alberta
Joined Jul 2002
1,005 Posts
Your first flight of the T-Hawk sounds eerily like my first flight with my Swallow, the miniature version of the T-Hawk. It was poorly trimmed and wanted to climb to an inevidable stall, and the first 2 times I threw it it would fly fine for a few seconds then drop one wing and plumet to the ground.

This resulted in me losing that same little ring that keeps the elastics on, and shockingly enough chipping the wing with the prop.

A good tip is to place a strip of duct tape on the back edge of the wing. It is strong enough to resist the Swallow prop, the prop just kinda slides off of it now. I don't know if it will work against the more powerful T-Hawk motor but it's worth a shot.

You will also want to scuff the shaft of the motor with a piece of sandpaper, and then use some superglue to carefully glue the prop on. I have found that especially on hot days the motor will get hot enough to melt the prop where it contacts the shaft causing the prop to slip. This results in a lack of power. It is important to scuff the shaft because the glue doesn't stick too well to the smooth metal.

In any case it gets better. I am able to fly my plane pretty well now after only a few weeks with it, to the point where I can usually catch it deadstick when the motor cuts out.

Have fun
Xoltri is offline Find More Posts by Xoltri
Last edited by Xoltri; Aug 06, 2002 at 02:24 AM.
Old Aug 06, 2002, 06:37 AM
Yukon, OK
Joined Apr 2002
267 Posts
For more T-Hawk lessons, see my web site.

Goofup
goofup is offline Find More Posts by goofup