HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2002, 01:51 AM
Qaz52
Joined Oct 2001
33 Posts
JR Voyager... Is it worth the money?

Voyager Pilots...

I've been a gasser heli pilot for some time and am just now getting hip to electric heli flight.. FINALLY!!! I have read a mountain of reviews on the JR Voyager. Everything from a "Piece of Junk" to 5 Star "EXCELLENT"...

What's the real story on the Voyager? Do I have to upgrade to a brushless motor to even get it to fly moderately well. Is it really too heavy to fly well on the stock motor and speed control?

Any input you may have will be much appreciated as I decide how to best spend my hard earned RC dollars...

Thanks,

CoyoteAir
Coyoteair is offline Find More Posts by Coyoteair
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2002, 02:50 AM
UTAH, SLC
Joined Mar 2001
271 Posts
JR Voyager

It isnt by far the best machine to start with. It is very heavy, but files FF fine with the brushless setup. Do your self a favor and get a Logo 10 if you want small.

I have had 2 voyagers i had to learn my lesson twice.

This is just my opinion.
exowatt is offline Find More Posts by exowatt
Old Aug 06, 2002, 04:00 AM
"Watch this!" SMACK!
Mountain View Moffett Fd, California, United States
Joined Apr 2001
1,048 Posts
It depends on what you like to do.

The Voyager is a good machine, but has limits. It is very smooth for normal flight, but falls way short for 3D.

The Logo 10 is a much more agile machine, capable of some 3D out of the box.

The big drawback of the Logo 10 is poor parts availability.

The Voyager stock motor works, but wont get you very far. My recommendation is to use it for a couple of months, save your money, and then go straight to a brushless setup (Hacker B40-7,8 or 9L).

The Logo 10 doesn't come with a motor, so I recommend going straight to brushless.

Search this forum for "logo voyager" and you'll get a lot of hits on this same topic.

BTW, I have and fly both

--jim
jaggies is offline Find More Posts by jaggies
Old Aug 06, 2002, 01:53 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
People always associated Voyager with being overweight. When was the last time you compared the weight between a Voyager and a Logo 10? Sure it's heavier than an Eco8, but it's built much sturdier. I see it as being in a class in between Logo 10 and Eco8.

I too fly both Voyager and Logo 10. I like them both for what they are: Voyager being a relaxed flyer that can do mild aerobatics in small fields, Logo 10 being a hotter 3D capable ship. I would not even attempt a stationary loop with the Logo at local park due to its size, while I can do consecutive loops comfortably with the Voyager.

If Horizon would remove the stock motor and ESC and drop the price, Voyager would be a good buy. Brushless setup is definitely needed for acceptable performance.

Agreed on the kit quality, except I always hated JR's ball links. Pieces go together much better on the Voyager than the Logo 10 or 20. Parts are more consistent and higher grade as well. Just compare the bearing quality in the kits and you will see the difference.

Stephen
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Last edited by Steph280; Aug 06, 2002 at 01:56 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2002, 02:45 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Steph, you hit the nail on the head! If JR would get smart and get rid of the stock motor/esc combo, they would get a bigger chunk of the market.

For size though, the V is smaller than the ECO and then Logo 10 is the largest (by rotor dia) The V is 39 inches and the 10 is 46. Not really a big diff since the V and ECO are 10 cell anf the Logo is just 12.

I will agree though the Logo does feel much bigger than the V, but the Logo is more manuverable by far!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Aug 06, 2002, 03:38 PM
Qaz52
Joined Oct 2001
33 Posts
Stock Voyager?

Since I do not do any 3D flying at all, will the stock setup on the Voyager do backyard small and mild figure 8's, circles. etc. I do have good quality 3000 NiMh batteries I can configure to 8 packs?

Thanks for your input so far. From what you guys are telling me the Voyager is just O.K. in it's stock configuration and wild on a BL system??
Old Aug 06, 2002, 04:29 PM
Joined Apr 2000
2,300 Posts
The V is one of the few CP helis that will perform adequately on 8 cells. The stock motor and ESC are limited to 8 cells. If you want to stay near stock, you can get 12 turn car motors that will work (eg. Kyosho Atom Smasher at $35).

If you are willing to go to higher cell count, maybe the Logo 10 would be a better choice.
HankF is offline Find More Posts by HankF
Old Aug 06, 2002, 05:33 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Don't even bother with 7 cells on stock motor. Run 8 cell packs with stock motor/ESC. And when you get tired of the brushed motor, get a Hacker C40-14T brushless motor. It's a drop in replacement plus it runs on your existing 8 cell packs.

If this is your first electric helicopter after flying glow helis for a while, you will most likely be disappointed with the stock setup. Keep in mind brushless motor will make the heli fly like a totally different beast. So on those first flights, if you feel like you made a mistake going with electric, remember what you saw here.

I know more than one individual who totally give up electric helis after being disappointed by stock Voyager motor. They figure all electric helis are like this...
Old Aug 06, 2002, 06:29 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,928 Posts
NO!

I have spent a lot of money on upgrades and brushless motors and am very disappointed. I have spent less on my ECO8 and it flies much better. The Voyager is just too heavy for itís rotor size.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Aug 06, 2002 at 06:35 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2002, 07:23 PM
Mesa, AZ
Joined Mar 2001
180 Posts
not a bad little heli!

I've had mine since they were first released from Horizon.

I flew it in stock configuration for about a year, then decided to go brushless. Stock motor, 16 tooth pinny and 8 cell 2400's and the V flew pretty damn good but brushes needed changing after about 15-25 flights.

Over the course of a year I spent over $150 in brushes and figured for that much I could have paid for a brushless motor.

I ordered a Hacker B40-8L and Kontronic ESC from Cyberheli as well as a couple 10 cell 1700 packs and a set of carbon symetrical blades. WOW! What a difference!

The key to a Voyager is to go brushless and lighten it in every way possible. I was able to shave about 10 oz. from stock by going with HS-81 servos removing the case from the RX and carefully drilling lightening holes in slected areas as well as a set of Mark Pazoulli carbon frames. Lightening it made a HUGE difference! On 10 cells I get about a 1800 rpm head speed with plenty of punch to perform basic aerobatics. 3D in NOT something it will do, but loops, rolls, stall turns and inverted hovering and FF are all possible.

to see a video of my voyager zooming around the park click the link below.

http://www.imagedv.com/raptoronline/...ager-demo-2.rm

DJ Vegh
www.raptoronline.com
Voyager E is offline Find More Posts by Voyager E
Old Aug 06, 2002, 08:17 PM
Victim of Gravity
Cary, NC
Joined Sep 2001
814 Posts
Well, CoyoteAir, it looks like you've got your "Piece of Junk" to "5 Star ExcellentT" range of ratings again!

I just got a Voyager in a trade, and intend to enjoy it. Of course, I'm only a newbie and haven't flown it yet. Al I do right now is putter around the soccer field with my Corona. My V is all stock, so I expect to replace brushes, clean up carbon dust, and not do any aerobatics. But, then, that's more than enough for me right now. Someday, when I feel I'm ready to become a 3D pilot, maybe I'll invest in a Logo. From what I've read (ie. no personal experience here), the Logo 10 would appear to be a far more capable ship than the V, costs a little more to set up. Depending on your desires, you may even want to consider a Logo 20.

Or perhaps a Joker.

KC
K.C. is offline Find More Posts by K.C.
Old Aug 06, 2002, 09:53 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
RC Man,

Perhaps it's all the upgrades that contributed to the weight? I run HS 85 servos and GY401 gyro, with Hacker B40-9L/Kontronik 40-6-18 on 10 cells CP2400, it flies excellent on stock blades. It can hover inverted (yes, on stock semi blades), perform loops and rolls, and other mild aerobatics. Only thing I wish it has is a tighter head.

Sorry yours didnt work out, but I wouldnt trade mine for anything.

Stephen
Old Aug 06, 2002, 11:28 PM
I would rather be flying!
DFW, Texas
Joined Jul 2002
30 Posts
I have been flying my voyager E brushless for several months now and I like it! I picked it up used on Ezone. I am running 10 cells with hacker motor and get ~5 minutes on 1700 mah and ~7 mintues on 2400 mah. I have progressed to forward flight and simple stall turns and it is a blast! This is my first heli and it is more then enough for me so far.

If you were buying new, I would say go straight for the logo. For me, cash was the limiting factor since I needed to buy a radio.

After learning on the G2 sim, transitioning to the voyager wasn't difficult in calm air. Getting used to the Texas wind gusts was a different matter altogether! Having a friend help you set up the heli / radio is really important! I owe my friend big time!

Bottom line: the Voyager E is a great heli to learn on but the Logo will do 3D. When I eventually get enough cash for a logo, I plan on keeping my Voyager.

(Cool paint job Voyager E!)
jmogl is offline Find More Posts by jmogl
Old Aug 07, 2002, 12:47 AM
Qaz52
Joined Oct 2001
33 Posts
jmogl...

What is ezone? Do you have the sight address?

Thanks...
Old Aug 07, 2002, 01:27 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
I can't believe you just asked that...