SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 31, 2001, 08:26 AM
All bozos on this bus
Glens Falls, New York, United States
Joined Apr 2001
119 Posts
Ball bearing verses sleeved gearbox

I would be very interested to know everyone's thoughts on this. In particular if performance gains are part of the equation. Some advantages are obvious-some are not. Thank you kindly.
mudhead is offline Find More Posts by mudhead
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2001, 12:21 PM
Okemos, Michigan
Joined Feb 2001
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mudhead:
I would be very interested to know everyone's thoughts on this. In particular if performance gains are part of the equation. Some advantages are obvious-some are not. Thank you kindly.
I look at it from the standpoint of two things actually. First is what kind of performance do you want? The secound does it have to last along time?

Ball bearings are great for many reasons. They reduce friction, are easy on the motor, and generally speed up anything. (Though price may be a factor for someone.) I ran rc cars on both bushings and bearings. You definitly get more speed and longer run times out of a car with bearings. But bearings at that time were a bit expensive and added to the cost of the car.

So I guess if your asking beacause of price, then your more than likely going with the sleeved gearbox. Which if your a sport flyer like most of us, and don't care about the small performance boost.....

Then again there's some people here that squeeze every bit out of their apps. Like the crazy lite sticker's .. ROFL

Just my random thoughts. I've got two ball bearing boxes gear boxes if that answers your question.. (Do they make sleeved ones? Who does?)

Crete

Crete1 is offline Find More Posts by Crete1
Old May 31, 2001, 12:55 PM
All bozos on this bus
Glens Falls, New York, United States
Joined Apr 2001
119 Posts
Thanks Crete,
The main idea was to try and get some use out of "never should have been made" 260. Bleriot calls them a dog but as usual he's being kind.

Sam
mudhead is offline Find More Posts by mudhead
Old May 31, 2001, 09:15 PM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
BB boxes can require more maintenance if they are not sealed and are exposed to dirt and grime.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich