HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2010, 01:48 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
Here are some more parts plus a couple of ideas. I got tired of waiting for the epoxy to come down to the nozzle when the bottle is half full so made a holding device, many have probably made one like it, by drilling 1" dia. holes in the vertical block part way through. Now the epoxy is ready when I need it. The ferry was a project for my grandson as he was quite excited when taking a ferry ride while visiting us last month. It will hold his matchbook cars and trucks. I did this while waiting for the paint to dry. Jerryj98501
jerryj98501 is offline Find More Posts by jerryj98501
Last edited by jerryj98501; Oct 14, 2010 at 02:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2010, 03:28 PM
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
746 Posts
Good idea on the glue holder, Jerry.

Ed
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
Old Oct 14, 2010, 05:10 PM
vancouver,B.C
Joined Apr 2008
349 Posts
Jerry. you can always put the epoxy bottles in the microwave for 20 seconds or a bit longer and it will go back to being super liquid.
Willj is offline Find More Posts by Willj
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:02 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
Willj I usually just put them under a stream of hot water, my wife won't let me near the kitchen appliances with model parts or adhesives. I did pick up a small oven for the small shop to help with heating molding materials. I guess I could try that. Thanks. Jerryj98501
Old Oct 14, 2010, 08:12 PM
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
746 Posts
A heat gun works, too, but be careful not to burn a hole in the bottle.
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
Old Oct 15, 2010, 10:54 AM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
Here are a few shots of updated parts. The quadrant allows the davit to pivot inside to get it stored and also pivit outside to get the correct pull for the pots. Jerryj98501
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:08 AM
Addison, Maine
Joined May 2009
360 Posts
40" pei

Hi Jerry98501, have been watching your build, You have an eye for detail
well I am gonna be getting under way on the 40"PEI .
Plans are to pull a plug or as you may plug's, topside & hull. cut up the plugs & remove the square angles from the trunk & wheelhouse, reverse the bubble on the workstation deck.
re-work the hull to a Full Hardchine & offer up kits of re-worked model
this should keep me busy this fall & early winter.
the other thing I plan to do is pull a hull from the 45"Novi mold's & finish the superstructure then pull mold's of it again I plan to offer up this model as a kit
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3404164
argh argh Jolly Roger 1 aka bill
Jolly Roger 1 is offline Find More Posts by Jolly Roger 1
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:52 AM
Joined May 2009
215 Posts
Jerry, you do some real fine work. That Helm chair is sweet, and looks like it belongs on a yacht. It may be different out west, but as a previous Maine Lobsterman, I've never seen a helm chair on one, seen a couple stools. I can also say that when you haul traps with that pot hauler, slime will fly off toward port and the chair would get messed up pretty quickly, although on the other hand I can say I sure wish I had a chair like that when making a long run between traps! Nice electronics package! That boat will be ready for anything!
capterik is offline Find More Posts by capterik
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:22 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
Capterik, Thanks for the information. I also was wondering about the interior but only had the following pictures of the interior of the real boat. I could only imagine the mess one could accumulate in pulling pots but maybe most of the gunk is removed from the line passing the pulley on the puller gallows. When we took a cruise on the east coast last month, I saw some really nice interiors on the new boats, just cost $$'s I guess. Jerryj98501
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:23 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
I guess it helps to include the pictures. Here they are. As you can see, my model is a little different in that the house is a little longer so I had to build an addition for the pot puller. Maybe a small extension wall on the port side would help contain the garbage. I need to finish the puller first. Jerryj98501
Last edited by jerryj98501; Nov 20, 2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:44 PM
Olympia WA
Joined Nov 2004
1,028 Posts
Jolly Roger 1, I went to the site and see the PEI model there, did you do the molds and layup for this model? As mentioned earlier, I got the hull from a modeler who didn't have the time to work on it but didn't have any information on it. I did a google search and found the information that looked similar to the model so decided to go with that. As you can see I added the under hull strakes, changed the entry for the spray rail at the bow and put a steerable kort nozzle in the rear. These probably don't appear on the real boats but I like to play around with some of the ideas I have. My next task, after repainting the hull and superstructure, is to set up a production system for making the pots, any ideas? For power I have a spare astro 40 that I will gear down with a belt drive and then just have the basic RC controls to run the boat and sound. Keep us informed with your modifications as I would be greatly interested in how they turn out. Maybe another lobster boat in the future, but I have to work on my 40" troller model next plus finish Strumpet Too. Jerryj98501
Old Nov 20, 2010, 12:45 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,605 Posts
Wow-Wow-Wow!!!! This is quite awesome Jerry!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:09 PM
Addison, Maine
Joined May 2009
360 Posts
PEI ( Prince Edward Island ) model

Hi Jerry, no the Prince Edward Island model is a friend of mine that wants to Downeasternize the model, he also owns the Novi molds. He likes my work so we worked a deal to satisfy his & my needs, I understand the fellow who built the PEI is no longer doing any work ( if my memory holds true, lost his shop in a fire & all was destroyed ) & will not be doing any more models. Sadly enough. from what I have & have seen he did excellent work,a few years back I had the pleasure of sharing table space at the Beals Historic Society, annul model boat show with him. While not having the detail that most have, the models offered up tons of potential, I also will have the molds of the model exactly the way it is now
I will as usual post more then enough info & pictures on the progress of my builds, I will not alter the PEI that I will pull molds from, but will pull hull & superstructure & decks from the molds & re-work the parts I pull then I will pull another set of molds to produce my version of the PEI downeastenized, it will be a challenging & fun Build.
I really enjoyed the challenge of re-storing of Brian's torpedo stern molds, I only wish I had had the time to re-work the hull I pulled & then to pull a set of molds from that hull (plug) & then been able to sell Ed aka A-37 a true hull.
if I may take the liberty of sharing at this time the links to that build as follows http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1313287
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330961
argh argh Jolly Roger 1 aka bill
Jolly Roger 1 is offline Find More Posts by Jolly Roger 1
Last edited by Jolly Roger 1; Nov 20, 2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 04:37 PM
Joined May 2009
215 Posts
Jerry, thanks for sharing the photos, you are truly doing justice to the real thing. Like I said, I had never seen one like this back East, out West is always a bit different, but I like it. Do they really have lobsters out West? I know they have crawfish, but didn't know about lobsters. Dang, now I'm getting hungry! Keep up the great work.
capterik is offline Find More Posts by capterik