Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 05, 2002, 10:21 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
sorta Horten--flying wing....FREE PLANS

Will be posting plans for 40" Horten flying wing (sorta scale)...picture at FoamFly.com...gallery section..glens planes and plans......have one solid request ...anyone else interested ???? flies great 10oz./280 g /720 nimh
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2002, 11:25 PM
Oakdale, MN, USA
Joined Sep 2001
379 Posts
sorta Horten--flying wing....FREE PLANS

Glen, count me in! Although I've got a dozen or so other projects I want to get done and I 've already paid for some of them, like Hippo's Frog and XBow, the apeal of your cheap, err excuse me, "inexpensive" Simple Stealth was just too much to ignore.

I went out to my favorite flying spot with two planes last night, about 8:00 PM when the wind died down. The first was the Simple Stealth on Hippo's web site (the half sheet plan, as I call it) with GWS-A in the nose and the second was a genebond Blustik with one of Hippo's Frog wings mounted on it.

Built with your instructions, all I had to do was launch, hit the power, and add about three clicks of nose down trim and the delta Stealth practically flew hands off! She is just about the simplest flying machine I have seen and is much faster and more responsive than any of the Walmart glider adaptations I have done, except for the straight out flying wing ala Wally Wing. With the throws and neg expo I used to get started, it would not roll. but I think that may change. It is VERRRYYY light when using a QC830 pack and is very agile. I came home and told my wige to come out and watch as I threw it out into the street in fromt of our house. I easily climbed above the most dangerous of the boulevard trees and handled a 5 mph wind with ease. I spose that's because it has vitually no frontal area. Even a GWS-A with 9070 prop cut the wind quite nicely.

Back to the flying field, with the Blustik/Frog combo with GWS-A power and 1080 prop, I came to the conclusion that Hippo designs some exceedingly nice wings. I generally find that "stick" designs just don't "groove" through the air for the same reason that the P-51-D needed a dorsal fin after it acquired a bubble canopy, not enough vertical stability from the fuselage. This little guy just cries out for a profile balsa or foam fuselage to make it track better, especially with a little wind. Of course, the full version of the Frog from Hippo's plans has that vertical area from the fuselage to stabilize it and I'm looking forward to building the Frog.

But the best part of the evening was my own personal "bird incident". The Blustik/Frog was maybe 150 feet up zig-zagging back and forth gently slightly upwind from me when I was joined first by one, then a second little bird. I think these were Starlings. Very shortly after that, there were a dozen birds, then 20 then 30, until I had maybe 60 or 70 little dark bird flittling around my plane. They were never agressive towards the plane, but they sure were making a racket!

I would zoom up and left and they would follow the plane. Change to the right and they would follow the plane. This went on until the pack started to wane and I brought her down after about 25 minutes! I was all by myself, just me and the mosquitoes, and laughing my butt off! I will ask a buddy to bring out a video camera next time I'm out. It was incredible.

Glen, the Stealth is a fine design, simple to build, easy to fly. Post your Horten. I have two GWS DD's with 3 inch props I want to bury in the wing!

Best regards,

Dale Case
Dale Case is offline Find More Posts by Dale Case
Old Aug 05, 2002, 11:29 PM
Sunnyvale Ca.
Joined Jul 2002
158 Posts
I love the Horten brothers work. Will it have drag rudders? Would like to see the plans.
Mel
melw is offline Find More Posts by melw
Old Aug 06, 2002, 03:10 AM
Will work for planes
Fullerton, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
1,783 Posts
YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Please put it up in jpg or tiff format .
omega blood is offline Find More Posts by omega blood
Old Aug 06, 2002, 04:25 AM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
953 Posts
Damn.. Need more foam.... Need more foam...
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old Aug 06, 2002, 08:35 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
Dale, glad you enjoy the STEALTH SPORT...we've had more than our share of fun with the original prototypes,we were going to test them to destruction but never were able to , these things are tough!!!...more throws and it will roll !!!...the black project ,20% smaller version rolls as fast as you can see and does square loops...lots of throw ,45degrees+or- ....
Yeah , i'd really like to get one of Dans' planes soon! ...I really like his moulding system and the X-bow is WAY COOL!!!!!
horten plans ...am presently working on a simplified set of plans ( more just like templates since this thing' so simple,,,top bottom (same size) spar and fin....should be along soon ....thanks ,good flying!!!!!!!
Old Aug 06, 2002, 08:58 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
This the one?

Glen,

I almost missed this thread. I feel so left out these days. Everybodies building all this great stuff, and I'm stuck finishing these plans and guides... Soon, soon I'll build one of EVERYTHING!!!

-Dan

P.S. Is this the Horton you're talking about?
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Aug 07, 2002, 07:37 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
one of many..

The one pictured is the 40" version...its my favorite ...thermals like bird!!!!.. it is only one of many prototypes, from the fertile? mind of OFB Bob Matthews...Bobs first ones(very small) were built up from balsa (remember that stuff???) ,somewhere between an elliptstick and a nazi dog...later versions mutated into fan fold versions some as large as 48", with a foam surface on the top and a built up bottom ... there were many small hand launch gliders that he gave to the neighbor kids.they threw them around for at least 2 weeks(good for kids ,they had a ball...threw them everywhere..)proving the design and the almost total indestructibility of blue fan fold.......the one shown was designed for me(request 40").....note, propsaver in action!............his plans were about 16 sheets of paper taped together and maybe 4 curved lines...but it was enough......flys really great on GWS 280 Geared 8/270nimh,9x6 prop...the other one shown is a smaller 36" version...also same power setup...Bobs' favorite....maybe i could show both version on the plans???????what do you think?????????
Old Aug 07, 2002, 07:45 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
Dan , in response to your lack of building time...

this plane will provide fun for a few...your GUIDE will help many...too Zen huh?
Old Aug 07, 2002, 11:36 PM
Carlsbad, CA
Joined Sep 2001
392 Posts
GPW,

Want, want, want. I just love wings and this one looks really neat.
gerico is offline Find More Posts by gerico
Old Aug 08, 2002, 12:30 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
I'am drawing a we speak.....or write ...or...

will have half wing templates by this evening ...will try to get them to Hippo at Foam fly.com to post in the gallery...am trying to fit everything in a minimum space for ease of download......check back later...thanks.....am drawing 36" and 40" versions for your consideration.....
Old Aug 08, 2002, 09:04 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Joined Jul 2002
4,205 Posts
Can't Wait

Waiting with Anticipation

SPFD
SPEED-E-FLYER is offline Find More Posts by SPEED-E-FLYER
Old Aug 09, 2002, 06:49 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
plans ...we hope

have just sent Dan at FoamFly.com the outline template drawings for the hortens.....please excuse them for being so crude but time was a factor ...they should be sufficiect to build either version .....please enjoy and for any questions , i'll try to be here...thanks...gpw
Old Aug 09, 2002, 08:30 PM
The effect is sadly temporary
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Joined Oct 2001
1,675 Posts
Got them, sort of.

I've got the Hortens plans. They were obviously too big for Glen's scanner, so it's in a lot of pieces. I'll have to find some time to re-assemble them. In the meantime, I'll post the pieces in Glen's FoamFly gallery.

-Dan
Hippo is online now Find More Posts by Hippo
Old Aug 09, 2002, 09:26 PM
gpw
Joined Jul 2002
24,062 Posts
Thanks again Dan...

once again ,Hippo has come to the rescue of this old computer illiterate geezer.....please enjoy and be sure to check out the rest of Dans' site ...it's a wealth of fun and information.......!!!!!