Old Aug 03, 2006, 01:33 AM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Discussion
Why does the Slow Stick fly so slow?

Hi all...

I'm currently designing a float plane for the lake in my backyard. The lake is really the only place I can fly a plane safely in my neighborhood. I'm doing all this so when I get withdrawl from not being able to fly because of family/fatherly responsibilities, I will have something I can fly right quick in my backyard. The Aero Ace that was taking up this role is getting boring.

I want the plane to have a lot of thrust but not a lot of speed. I have no problem doing that. What I want to know is what makes a plane like the GWS Slow Stick fly so slow?

Is it the wing design that does it? Or is it weight vs lift? Incidence of the wing, etc?
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2006, 01:41 AM
Suspended Account
Fountain Valley, California
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
It has a large wing, some call it a kite or parachute. It has a high AOA (angle of attack) that is; it is angled up compared to the stabilizer. It has a low wing loading (it's relatively light).

These qualities make the Slow Stick slow.

Now, boomerace, hell be along, hes made and flown more Slow Sticks than anyone. He can tell you everything youd ever want to know about Slow Sticks.

Will
willhaney is offline Find More Posts by willhaney
Old Aug 03, 2006, 02:25 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
Large wing area + light weight = light wing loading -> slow flight

Thick section with undercamber = drag -> slow flight

I've seen a slow stick float plane around here somewhere called the 'float plane'. Enjoy!
glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Aug 03, 2006, 02:34 AM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
I think I asked the question in the wrong way. I understand about high lift to weight, thrust vs speed, drag, etc. I was more concerned with the wing design than anything.

I've looked at pics of the slow stick and I see that it has some dihedral, but it is also swept back to some degree. What is that called? More importantly what does the sweeping back of the wings do?
Old Aug 03, 2006, 02:44 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Sweep (which is the right term BTW) increases the angle of attack of the stall... which helps control at slow speeds. You can go too far, though... past 30 degrees, you can get a 'deep stall', where after the stall the AoA wants to keep on increasing.

The thick airfoil is likely to make more lift at higher AoA as well. If you want a real slow flier, you need a high-lift airfoil.
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Aug 03, 2006, 02:48 AM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McGregor
Sweep (which is the right term BTW) increases the angle of attack of the stall... which helps control at slow speeds. You can go too far, though... past 30 degrees, you can get a 'deep stall', where after the stall the AoA wants to keep on increasing.

The thick airfoil is likely to make more lift at higher AoA as well. If you want a real slow flier, you need a high-lift airfoil.

I'm not quite getting what you mean by AoA of the stall. Could you explain more about that?

Thanks
Old Aug 03, 2006, 03:42 AM
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2006
6,794 Posts
Ok, people usually talk about a stall speed... but really, the wing stalls at a particular angle of attack (that is, angle between the wing chord and the relative wind). That sets a speed because there's a speed at which the angle of attack you need to maintain level flight equals the stall angle of attack; you can't fly level any slower.

Landing speed in fullsize flying is 30% above the stall; with models you can't really tell, but you'd aim for about that, because any slower and the handling gets intolerably mushy. In any case, for a slow flier you clearly need a very slow stall. There are two ways to achieve that, and you can use both at once. One is low wing loading, and the other is to use a wing foil that stalls at a high angle of attack. Sweep helps by increasing the stall AoA even further. Flaps help by increasing it further again, and also creating drag so you can run more power at slow speeds (which helps with the mushiness, and allows prop wash to give you some more lift as well).
Andrew McGregor is offline Find More Posts by Andrew McGregor
Old Aug 03, 2006, 07:29 AM
Just call me .... Bill
Greenville/Anderson area of SC
Joined Dec 2005
738 Posts
Joe,

While you are designing your new "water taxi", try flying the Slow Stick flying boat: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...at#post5379931

I'm flying one off my pond.

Just what you are looking for.
Solid Hit is offline Find More Posts by Solid Hit
Old Aug 03, 2006, 07:41 AM
Next time I'll ARTF...
Canberra, Australia (Southside)
Joined Feb 2004
4,634 Posts
That's the one I was thinking of!

I think the 'sweep' that you speak of is washout (a sort of twist where the trailing edge kicks up a little at the rear). This is a feature of slow flying wings which aids stability / eliminates tip stalling. Not too much or you lose an angle of attack.

glydr is offline Find More Posts by glydr
Old Aug 03, 2006, 10:14 AM
Joined May 2006
2,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Hit
Joe,

While you are designing your new "water taxi", try flying the Slow Stick flying boat: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...at#post5379931

I'm flying one off my pond.

Just what you are looking for.
Thanks for the info. But I have already read that thread from front to back. I have stuff to use to make a home made one from old planes. I was trying to avoid buying new equipment (ESC, motor, servos, etc). Especially for something like this.
Old Aug 03, 2006, 01:20 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,431 Posts
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Last edited by kkens4; Aug 03, 2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2006, 03:54 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,001 Posts
Suckiness is in the mind of the belittler. Slow Sticks are fun.
roidspop is online now Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Aug 03, 2006, 03:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
First plane I could actually fly on my own. Still have it and fly it. Very relaxing and great for AP or drop box.

Will
Old Aug 03, 2006, 05:07 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,431 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidspop
Suckiness is in the mind of the belittler. Slow Sticks are fun.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Last edited by kkens4; Aug 03, 2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2006, 05:11 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
10,768 Posts
LOL! Having a bad day kkens4?